Home-Made IEMs
Aug 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5,161 of 16,107
Sounds like you have a great plan, one damper on the nozzle is what shure and westone use on there triple driver units.

White damper would work which is 680ohm.

The GK has solder pads directly on the board so you won't really need to worry about burning up and drivers. Just be careful if you glue just in case you want to re-use the gk's in a reshell once you feel comfortable down the road, if you get glue or uv material on the wires you'll certainly damage them if you try to remove and would have to rewire the GK driver.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,162 of 16,107
Thank you Sir for such a quick reply!

Yes, I think I'll get some white and green dampers and do some testing. I'm hoping to get the nozzles snug against the tube opening using some EVA foam with holes in it for the nozzles. It's a very tight fit for the drivers (I checked that they do actually fit - found a picture by someone else using the same shell and drivers), so I might even get away with not using any adhesives at all. We'll see...

Cheers!

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #5,163 of 16,107
Can someone tell me if this wiring looks correct based of this:

http://ozvuke.pro/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4121

This is how I interpret that.  Let me know how off I am :)

Thanks HFers!

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5,165 of 16,107
Dude, wish you best of luck with tour build! :) i think the GK driver itself sound really amazing! For the dampers i havent put any of it in tubes and i fond the sound awesome as it is. But im not the most experienced or professional :)

Anyway ive done my second set of impressions. The audiologist lady was professional and listened to me when I talked het about requirements for impressions etc and she dis it awesomly well. Hope this time it will work better :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #5,166 of 16,107

Thanks HFers!

That seem to be about right but you want your C1 to be connected directly to + not to the pad of 3800.
And you need negative wire as well :wink:

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #5,167 of 16,107
Dude, wish you best of luck with tour build!
smily_headphones1.gif
i think the GK driver itself sound really amazing! For the dampers i havent put any of it in tubes and i fond the sound awesome as it is. But im not the most experienced or professional
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway ive done my second set of impressions. The audiologist lady was professional and listened to me when I talked het about requirements for impressions etc and she dis it awesomly well. Hope this time it will work better
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks mate. Yeah, from what I've gathered the GK is a pretty safe bet in terms of sound quality. I ordered all the parts today, including some white and green dampers, so I'll play around with those (and also try without) and see what happens. I admire you guys doing it all DIY from scratch and experimenting with drivers, crossovers, faceplates, etc. My tinkering hobby is electronic drums and I'm kind of trying to skirt around and not get sucked into what could potentially become another full-blown, wallet-busting (and dangerous: I have a wife) hobby
wink.gif
. I forced myself to just order everything today according to the initial plan before I start fantasizing with 5-driver setups and custom shells...

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,168 of 16,107
Quote:Originally Posted by Squirg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks HFers!

That's how I interpret that:

I connected in parallel the Sonion 3800...not in series

Thanks Tulku!  The only reason I was wiring in series is because I was following the Sonion description.  Your wiring makes more sense to me.  Have you made this design?  If so, how did it sound?  What tubing/dampers did you use?  Thanks again!!!

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,169 of 16,107
Thanks mate. Yeah, from what I've gathered the GK is a pretty safe bet in terms of sound quality. I ordered all the parts today, including some white and green dampers, so I'll play around with those (and also try without) and see what happens. I admire you guys doing it all DIY from scratch and experimenting with drivers, crossovers, faceplates, etc. My tinkering hobby is electronic drums and I'm kind of trying to skirt around and not get sucked into what could potentially become another full-blown, wallet-busting (and dangerous: I have a wife) hobby :wink: . I forced myself to just order everything today according to the initial plan before I start fantasizing with 5-driver setups and custom shells...

Yeah, the wallet/wife thing is quite complicated haha...

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #5,171 of 16,107
Thanks mate. Yeah, from what I've gathered the GK is a pretty safe bet in terms of sound quality. I ordered all the parts today, including some white and green dampers, so I'll play around with those (and also try without) and see what happens. I admire you guys doing it all DIY from scratch and experimenting with drivers, crossovers, faceplates, etc. My tinkering hobby is electronic drums and I'm kind of trying to skirt around and not get sucked into what could potentially become another full-blown, wallet-busting (and dangerous: I have a wife) hobby :wink: . I forced myself to just order everything today according to the initial plan before I start fantasizing with 5-driver setups and custom shells...

Careful with the DIY IEM scene, once you start you can't stop. I was bit by the bug a few years ago and the desire to build a good pair of IEM's for stage (I'm a guitar player) has turned into another and another and another and another............ It's hard not to get hooked, before you know it there's a lab in your house equipped with a uv chamber, lots of fotoplast, a lathe, a Cubard with all kinds of goodies, and drawer full of drivers, and laser to engrave face plates, lol. Seems I have tons of friends wanting me to "hook them up" with there own sets of monitors. Best hobby I have ever had!!!

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5,172 of 16,107
guys I have some questions here if you dont mind... I teared my 'old' iems apart, but totally messed up crossovers on both of my GKs. So Im basicly stucked here with a pair of twfk+CI combo. Do anyone here have a schematic for some nice crossover or even the basic one of the GK driver? (Im in search of a clear detailed balanced sound, maybe calm the CI down a little somehow...)
And this time i wanted to make a single acoustic tube design since my ear canals are really narrow. Will I have Any issues with this configuration?

Or maybe I could just do the 2 tube design from BAs, red dampers on CI, no dampers at twfk, no x-over, then all of it in the larger tube which go out, and call it a day?

Thanks in advance :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #5,173 of 16,107
Careful with the DIY IEM scene, once you start you can't stop. I was bit by the bug a few years ago and the desire to build a good pair of IEM's for stage (I'm a guitar player) has turned into another and another and another and another............ It's hard not to get hooked, before you know it there's a lab in your house equipped with a uv chamber, lots of fotoplast, a lathe, a Cubard with all kinds of goodies, and drawer full of drivers, and laser to engrave face plates, lol. Seems I have tons of friends wanting me to "hook them up" with there own sets of monitors. Best hobby I have ever had!!!

Hobbies/pursuits/interests are essential in life - people with none are often dull and bitter... I'm telling you, if I was still single and childless, any hobbies that involved DIY electronics and music would be enthusiastically embraced.... but now i have very little time/funds I can dedicate to them, so I have to keep the urge in check :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #5,174 of 16,107
guys I have some questions here if you dont mind... I teared my 'old' iems apart, but totally messed up crossovers on both of my GKs. So Im basicly stucked here with a pair of twfk+CI combo. Do anyone here have a schematic for some nice crossover or even the basic one of the GK driver? (Im in search of a clear detailed balanced sound, maybe calm the CI down a little somehow...)
And this time i wanted to make a single acoustic tube design since my ear canals are really narrow. Will I have Any issues with this configuration?

Or maybe I could just do the 2 tube design from BAs, red dampers on CI, no dampers at twfk, no x-over, then all of it in the larger tube which go out, and call it a day?

Thanks in advance :)

All you need is a 22uf cap and a 5ohm resistor.

22uf cap to the twfk, lead wire to cap, cap to both positive ports on the twfk.

5ohm res on the CI driver.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #5,175 of 16,107
All you need is a 22uf cap and a 5ohm resistor.

22uf cap to the twfk, lead wire to cap, cap to both positive ports on the twfk.

5ohm res on the CI driver.

Im really dont know anything about electronics at this point... I will try to do some sort of scheme and show it to your guys approuval if you dont mind :)

Thank you for your input! Will try to do this, with crossover I could also do my 1 tube plan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back