Home-Made IEMs
Jul 16, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #5,071 of 15,989
This hurts to read, man. And i know you pain. Some weeks ago i was soldering a pair of CI 30120 and out of the blue one of the solder pads came out. I freaked out, dude. I had just one pair to make a provisory pair of earbuds to use until my new lot of BA's doenst arrive, and they broke. Is that common, bro ? I'm pretty new in this hobby and you make my afraid, my new lots of BA's are on the way and now i have deep fear to break them all. Have you some tip to not broke them easily ?

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #5,072 of 15,989
Guys, i found some real cheap pairs of Knowles BA's. I bought a pair of EF 30037, a pair of ED 26784 and a pair of CI 30120. What do you all think ? I was planing to crossover the 26784 and the 30120 using the same desing that i used with the 22955+29689 (green damper for the CI and WHITE damper for the ED). I know that they are diffent drivers, but the 30120 have a sound pretty close to the 22955, and i thought something interesting would happen.
About the EF 30037, i heard that they are good full range drivers. What you all think about it ? I will test then as a single driver with a RED damper, and see if they are competent as a full range single speaker with a good cost x benefit. 
Thanks you all for the reply and time. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #5,073 of 15,989
Jul 21, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #5,080 of 15,989
Hello everyone, I wanted to update on my laser adventure. As stated before I was looking for something the engrave graphics and serial numbers on IEM's.

I had all day today playing around with it and finally found a mix that works.
Here are a few pics.

The colorant is actual UV marking material.

What do you mean by UV marking material?

I have a question about the GK-31732-000 drivers.
before I completely broke 2 TWFK  I tried to make a GK with a CI and a crossover. from what I was able to hear it sounded good!
Now I want to be sure about the crossover I made. Is it a simple resistor 4.7ohm in series with the CI and a High pass filter using only a 22uf cap to the TWFK?

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #5,081 of 15,989
What do you mean by UV marking material?

I have a question about the GK-31732-000 drivers.
before I completely broke 2 TWFK  I tried to make a GK with a CI and a crossover. from what I was able to hear it sounded good!
Now I want to be sure about the crossover I made. Is it a simple resistor 4.7ohm in series with the CI and a High pass filter using only a 22uf cap to the TWFK?

It is UV curable marking material, it's the same as the IEM industry uses to mark serial numbers on CIEMs and hearing aid shells. Comes in red, white, and blue.

I don't remember the values but yes that is correct, the GK uses a simple crossover. Resistor to CI and Cap to the TWFK, your values sound about right. I called knowles a long time ago and stated I was an audio engineer repairing a GK and they gave me the values of both the resistor and cap. I'm sure if you called them they would do the same.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #5,083 of 15,989
It is UV curable marking material, it's the same as the IEM industry uses to mark serial numbers on CIEMs and hearing aid shells. Comes in red, white, and blue.

Does it have a thinner consistency than regular fotoplast?
Do you have a link for it?

I like the "tree" design, though at first it looked to me like "deer horn art".
Were you able to use the laser on the clear fotoplast directly?  

By the way the laser engraver is huge not so much diy level anymore :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #5,084 of 15,989
Does it have a thinner consistency than regular fotoplast?
Do you have a link for it?

I like the "tree" design, though at first it looked to me like "deer horn art".
Were you able to use the laser on the clear fotoplast directly?  

By the way the laser engraver is huge not so much diy level anymore :)

The marking material is thicker than fotoplast, it's not really a runny material. I bought from Warner-tech care and you have to have an account with them. I registered and they gave me an account no questions asked.

It cuts through the clear fotoplast with no problems whatsoever.

I seen a recent video of UE and they use a laser for there custom art and acrylic paint, (I did not know they did that this was the first video I have seen where it showed this technique. It was a recent video within the last month) then clear uv acrylic over that obviously. Same process I did for the tree without me knowing how!! I was pleasantly surprised, in the video they also confirmed the only color they 3D print is clear, any other color is made by hand which I thought interesting. The machine appears to be big but it's a hunk of metal!!!! It was $325 shipped so not to expensive in the scheme of things. I will tell you there was a set of pliers left in it and wires not connected from the factory but after I realigned all the mirrors and calibrated it, it has certainly impressed me.

I will send you a pic of the uv marking tube. Depending where you are you can private message me and We can see about getting you some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back