Home-Made IEMs
Mar 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,441 of 15,989
I'm trying to gather all the pieces I need to make my non custom IEMs.

The shell will most probably be turned wood with an inner diameter of 6mm, and I will be using the Sonion Acupass 26-E25, which has a sound exhaust of 2mm diameter..
So, I'm wondering how I should make my sound nozzle and connect it with the driver (with a sound tube). Sonion says 10mm of sound tube and a 1,2-2,5mm nozzle is what we should aim, but does a cone nozzle changes anything or I can connect the tube straight to the nozzle pipe? I'm sorry it's a bit hard to explain and english isn't my first language.

I would also like to know if you people think it would be better to cnc machine it or 3d print it? Or any other method? I can't seem to find anything on the market (wether generic coupler/nozzles or earphone parts) that would fit directly.

Here are some pictures:
basic design with a straight inner tube (2mm ID, 2,5mm OD)
http://i.imgur.com/PDnFE6q.png

Cone style design, more similar so regular earbuds, is it any useful, and how do I connect the sound pipe then?
http://i.imgur.com/h2EPe2b.png

Informations from Sonion to tune tubing. Should I consider the sound tube from the driver and nozzle as one (similar pipe diameter untill the exit and about 10mm total lenght) or as two different parts than I can tune independently (different diameter and lenght for both parts)?
http://i.imgur.com/RoJzgcy.png

Thanks in advance.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,443 of 15,989
  Do I need the capacitors if I am only using the TWFK? I think a capacitor is used to connect the positive terminals on the proprietary TWFK that are use in the ue700 and dba02 but what does it do to the sound?

If you are using TWFK-30017 then you need caps, if you are using proprietary drivers from other earphone than no, you may not need another cap, but on the other hand frequency may be completely out of shape with design above.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #4,447 of 15,989

~20-2,2uF i think. Depends on what's your goal.

My (unrealistic) goal is anything between these 2 curves. Also is there any differences between soldering the cap directly on the driver like the proprietary drivers and connecting them by wires like your design? 
EDIT: I tried the TWFK without caps and they sound pretty decent, how does adding caps improve the sound?
Headphone101_InterpretingFrequencyResponse2_Graph_Main.jpg

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #4,450 of 15,989
Just finished soldering the components. Does the placement of drives make a difference? In a dual bore system, does the middle/high freq be the upper bore or??

Its good if mid/hi bore is focussed as much as centered to the ear canal (center firing?), imo.....but I wld also wait for our guru's opinions.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #4,451 of 15,989
  Tried to make my own universal in-ear shells, can anyone with a 3D printer print these and test them out? Much thanks!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1393636

How did you find OnShare? Some friend asked me to try it but I haven't played with it so far.
I might be 3d printing some parts in a couple of weeks too, but I think that prior to 3d print everything, it might be worth it to make some clay (or other soft material that hardens) models first to test the fit and proportions.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #4,452 of 15,989

How did you find OnShare? Some friend asked me to try it but I haven't played with it so far.
I might be 3d printing some parts in a couple of weeks too, but I think that prior to 3d print everything, it might be worth it to make some clay (or other soft material that hardens) models first to test the fit and proportions.

It's really nice, very similar to Inventor. I'd recommend giving it a go, it's free and browser-based.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #4,455 of 15,989
Does anyone have a source for titanium sound tubes like the ones that UM and several others use?

Does UM has any product using Ti tubing? I don't recall anyone other than FitEar using Ti in their earfones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back