Home-Made IEMs
Feb 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #4,427 of 16,074
Those are looking great man!
Good Work
atsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #4,428 of 16,074
A view of my latest projects.....

The smoky iem's are a Westone 3 re-shell with an added Knowles CI-22955 with a 50ohn resistor. Green dampers on the tweeter and red on the CI driver. Sounds great with a more equal mid-tone roar.

The blue shells are going to house a 6 driver configuration with CI x 2 a HODVETEC and a TWFK with a 3 way crossover. I haven't tested this setup yet but have drivers coming in this week.

Those are looking great man!
Good Work
atsmile.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,430 of 16,074

Just noticed that 1964 are achieving a very substantial  large-bore=>small-bore  ratio with the tubing on their ADEL module:

Or perhaps they are using a moulded plastic manifold, but I can't quite see a definite junction between the two, if that is the case.

Or maybe the ADEL module sits in an unusually deep solid acrylic portion of the shell, with that void (at the junction of ADEL module and it's dedicated soundtube) being moulded or drilled-out of the solid acrylic.

I recall Starkey (now M-Fidelity) using what appear to be custom-moulded sound tubes, on the SA-43, which is a nice way of maintaining consistency across numerous customers' pairs of CIEMs. It's always struck me as strange that more CIEM vendors don't use this approach, unless BAs have a less consistent batch frequency response than one would hope. Perhaps we will see more of this approach, with the increasing momentum of 3D printing technology (in which case, it might be done as an integral feature of the printed CIEM shell itself)

...whilst I'm on the topic of peculiarities in CIEM construction, I've never noticed any CIEM maker (professional or DIY) doing what Sony did with their soundtubes, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739725/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems/60#post_10993232

Anyone else have examples of such peculiarities not frequently seen in mainstream CIEMs?

I do appreciate that this is a DIY CIEM thread, but some cross-germination of ideas can be a positive thing, and I don't see why commercial makers should have all the fun.

In that spirit, here's some more food-for-thought, to get the old grey cells whirring:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/753632/introducing-the-worlds-first-lear-patented-nss-natural-stereo-sound-earphone-technology

Shotgunshane drew my attention to UE's updated UERM ('UE Pro Reference Remastered') this evening, and I noticed something similar to the earlier discussion, above, albeit presumably tuned in a different manner:

It continues to surprise me how few commercial CIEM-makers employ a consistent pre-configured moulded tubing assembly, like those used by Starkey/M-Fidelity, and now, UE; especially considering that 3D-printing can so easily prototype and produce such items.

As I see it, it could:

1. save significant assembly time for each pair of CIEMs
  2. increase product consistency (& symmetry), in terms of internal appearance
  3. increase product consistency, potentially, in terms of frequency response
  4. potentially improve shock-resistance/robustness, because the BAs can be encapsulated within the tube-assembly, rather than the tubing being attached to the BAs only at the tiny nozzles (yes, I know acrylic or cyanoacrylate may be used to reinforce the joint, but still...)

And, as UE are (partly) demonstrating, there are tuning possibilities easily implementable in this kind of assembly which would be too much hassle if manually created on a per-CIEM basis, with conventional tubing. Examples include:

1. deliberately convoluting the walls of the moulded tube
  2. extending the length of the moulded tube, back&forth, in a manner not viable to bend conventional tubing
  3. inclusion of a resonant cavity (e.g. Helmholtz) at some juncture along the length of the moulded tube
  4. tapering of the moulded tube (could be used for horn-loading or some other reason)
  5. more complex combinations of the sound tube outputs from each BA in the CIEM configuration, either all in parallel, or in partial Y-combinations, etc. etc.

The sky's the limit, acoustically-speaking.

So, in spite of how few commercial CIEM-makers are currently employing this approach, I nonetheless predict an increase in popularity, in the near future.

Further to the above, I notice some interesting narrative in the marketing spiel for Campfire Audio's Jupiter UIEM:

The Jupiter utilizes a unique approach to achieve its soaring high frequency response.  An optimized resonator assembly replaces the traditional tube and dampener system of may earphones.  This system’s high frequency extension is unattainable by with the more common conventional techniques.

I haven't seen any internal pics or exploded diagrams, but I suspect it may be something similar to the above discussion.

I wonder if these companies are designing the parameters of the resonant chambers using computer-modeling of soundwave interactions, or if they're winging it and manually refining the tuning with a physical unit
wink.gif

On the assumption that they're using computer-modeling, I wonder which software they're using for that task?

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #4,432 of 16,074
  Hi. Maybe someone know how i can get impendanse graph depending on the frequency. i use audiotester program and 10ohm resistor but its not work good

You can use ARTA, there is a software that comes with it called Limp made for measuring impedance. You will need to build something called a jig (which consist of a  resistor of known value and some cables to connect to mic input and headphone input) to make measurements.
Here are some explantion http://soundhobby.com/measurementsystem.htm
Also you can search on google image for other example of the " limp jig" like this  https://sites.google.com/site/amateuraudio/projects-1/arta-limp-and-or-room-eq-wizard-impedance-jig

This blog in Japanese have the easiest jig diagram if you just have a resistor and earphone cables http://fuchinove.ninja-mania.jp/artaimpedance.html

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4,434 of 16,074
  You can use ARTA, there is a software that comes with it called Limp made for measuring impedance. You will need to build something called a jig (which consist of a  resistor of known value and some cables to connect to mic input and headphone input) to make measurements.
Here are some explantion http://soundhobby.com/measurementsystem.htm
Also you can search on google image for other example of the " limp jig" like this  https://sites.google.com/site/amateuraudio/projects-1/arta-limp-and-or-room-eq-wizard-impedance-jig

This blog in Japanese have the easiest jig diagram if you just have a resistor and earphone cables http://fuchinove.ninja-mania.jp/artaimpedance.html

Thank you very helpfull.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #4,437 of 16,074
Hello guys ! New user who join today to let you know how awesome your thread (and this forum) is.
I learned ton of things though i didn't get through all the pages.
Currently going to make my first pair ever of ciems.
Since the process to create my own shells seemed to be kinda complicated and i didn't had a lot of money to spend on it i ended up buying premade custom hollow shells.
Following recommandations of the vendor setup will be a triple driver with one knowles gk-31732-000 and one knowles BF-1861-000 by iem.
Any thought on the performance of this setup?

Will definitly gonna go into the trouble of building a better and more expensive setup in the near future but i thing more knowledge will be needed.
My goal is to build a hybrid ciem but for now i'm not sure what components i will choose.

Seems that the shell will be kinda crowded with just one driver piece, how do you guys manage to put that much drivers inside of your shells? (like companys putting 12drivers or more)
Do that require bigger shells?

Also i saw that lear was building semi-hard shells, that looks really tempting, not sure how to get this effect though, seems not possible with 3d printing.

@omgflyingbanana : electronic parts costed me 117dollars.

@briancortez2112 :  the amber shells looks amawing ! Didn't know that was possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back