Home-Made IEMs
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4,381 of 15,989
Hi guys, unsure if this is the right place to post this. Does anyone know where to buy cheap dynamic IEM drivers that don't have an abyssmal frequency range/graph? I'm a poor student but I want to learn electrical/audio stuff, so hopefully I can find some drivers that are around $2.50?

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #4,382 of 15,989
  Hi guys, unsure if this is the right place to post this. Does anyone know where to buy cheap dynamic IEM drivers that don't have an abyssmal frequency range/graph? I'm a poor student but I want to learn electrical/audio stuff, so hopefully I can find some drivers that are around $2.50?

You could try on aliexpress and ask the seller if he have graph or what is more suited for neutral frequency vs bass boosted etc..

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #4,385 of 15,989
  Yep, I've seen that and it's super useful, but I'm curious about how all those drivers are getting crossed over (especially the 4-6 driver assemblies in the last section). Are they all just connected in parallel and filtered with dampers?

Edit: also, I just had the idea to do faceplates by buying a pack of exotic veneer samples, CNC'ing a logo, and then inlaying it with turquoise. I posit that it would be quite inexpensive and look amazing. Has anyone done something similar?

Update: we're finished! http://imgur.com/a/rjuzN

Turquoise inlays look quite good.

Now that our first pair is finally done, I feel like I should share the single most useful component in the build process: Bondic.

http://notaglue.com/

This stuff will change your life. You can use it for building up the body of the IEM, bonding shell to faceplate, covering imperfections, fixing drivers and connectors in place, coating tubes, insulating wires, filling cracks, making inlays, and more - and it cures in seconds instead of minutes, despite being essentially the same stuff as the shell acrylic. We *never* used epoxy for the entirety of our build process. It's a f'in lifesaver. Buy it now, ask questions later.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by plugging this; I promise I'm not a paid shill despite the "as seen on TV" nature of the product. You could probably get it much cheaper under a different brand name (search for "UV acrylic").

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #4,386 of 15,989
The crack on my Jh13Pro got wider and wider, sound because softer and muddy. Decided to pop open the faceplate today. 

Silicon is used to keep everything in place.
The
DFK​
  has the longest tube, curl and hidden under the 
3300 and DTEC.​
Only one SMD visible, seems like capacitor.​
3300 is wired serial, use a green damper which is really close to the receiver.​

​

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #4,387 of 15,989
  In case of 2389 the right side is + and left is -

In the case of 33AJ007i/9 position of the driver doesn't matter as the right pad will always be + -> left "?" is negative and right "?" is positive on your pics.

Thanks, you are right for the 33AJ007i/9 no matter how I turn it it will alawys be the same. I think you confused the answer for the 33AJ007i/9. The "left ?" is positive and the "right ?" is negative. 

Now, I measured the 33AJ007i/9, once in parallel and once in series and I don't get it. Why is the series outpouting more bass than the parallel.
blue is in parallel, red in series 

this is how I wired the parallel 
this is how I wired in series

in this picture I measured the same driver (in green) but just connected the green and red wire to one side with no interconnection for series or parallel.
I got lower output around 1khz but the bass was similar to the driver connected in parallel

Is this how it is supposed to be?
I used the same length tube for all measurement and no dampers or resistors/caps.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #4,388 of 15,989
  The crack on my Jh13Pro got wider and wider, sound because softer and muddy. Decided to pop open the faceplate today. 

Silicon is used to keep everything in place.
The
DFK​
  has the longest tube, curl and hidden under the 
3300 and DTEC.​
Only one SMD visible, seems like capacitor.​
3300 is wired serial, use a green damper which is really close to the receiver.​

​

Excellent! If you ever disassemble it even more , please do post more images. I'm very curious.

It also seems freqphase is just tube length adoption.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #4,389 of 15,989
That's exactly what freqphase is. What I don't understand is how it could be patented. Making a tube longer. Surely its experimentation of the user. If another company took the idea, but had different tube lengths to the ones specified in freqphase, would it still be a patent infringement?

Of course I'm referring to a professional product, not a DIY type thing.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,390 of 15,989
That's exactly what freqphase is. What I don't understand is how it could be patented. Making a tube longer. Surely its experimentation of the user. If another company took the idea, but had different tube lengths to the ones specified in freqphase, would it still be a patent infringement?

Of course I'm referring to a professional product, not a DIY type thing.

It may be simple but the Research and Development behind it must have been extensive. It's not only the tube length but driver tuning. Different frequencies travel at different speeds and in order for all of the different frequencies from the different drivers to escape the sound tube at the exact same phase must have been very difficult to obtain. I think it's an amazing feature and one I hope to own in the future

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #4,391 of 15,989
It may be simple but the Research and Development behind it must have been extensive. It's not only the tube length but driver tuning. Different frequencies travel at different speeds and in order for all of the different frequencies from the different drivers to escape the sound tube at the exact same phase must have been very difficult to obtain. I think it's an amazing feature and one I hope to own in the future

Oh I'm not doubting that it wasn't difficult. I work in R&D and I know exactly how hard a simple thing can be sometimes.

My real question was, Is it really a patent on the lengths of the tubes. Or the idea that different tube lengths are the way to correct phase.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #4,393 of 15,989
  Thanks, you are right for the 33AJ007i/9 no matter how I turn it it will alawys be the same. I think you confused the answer for the 33AJ007i/9. The "left ?" is positive and the "right ?" is negative. 

Now, I measured the 33AJ007i/9, once in parallel and once in series and I don't get it. Why is the series outpouting more bass than the parallel.
blue is in parallel, red in series 

this is how I wired the parallel 
this is how I wired in series

in this picture I measured the same driver (in green) but just connected the green and red wire to one side with no interconnection for series or parallel.
I got lower output around 1khz but the bass was similar to the driver connected in parallel

Is this how it is supposed to be?
I used the same length tube for all measurement and no dampers or resistors/caps.

1st question can be answered with BA's inductive nature. I remember posting something here few months ago.
2nd question might have to do something with mechanical & acoustical resonance (that 1khz peak) & damping factor (bass difference).

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #4,394 of 15,989

1st question can be answered with BA's inductive nature. I remember posting something here few months ago.
2nd question might have to do something with mechanical & acoustical resonance (that 1khz peak) & damping factor (bass difference).

So you think I could have different results if I use a resistor (say 20ohm) before the driver on both configurations (para/series) in regard of the bass level output?

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #4,395 of 15,989
So you think I could have different results if I use a resistor (say 20ohm) before the driver on both configurations (para/series) in regard of the bass level output?

The effect would be subtle though, might not even show up in the graph but still be audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back