Home-Made IEMs
Jan 22, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #4,323 of 16,080

Yes, with UV gel you can take the time you want to position your tubes perfectly.

PS : Nail art UV gels are not gels at all, they are high viscosity fluids, otology gel resin does not flow at all because it is a REAL gel.

What, Egger has nice viscosit better than nail art gel.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #4,324 of 16,080
Here is a nice interview about the new JH lineup.
Apparently 4th order crossover on the high drivers on the Rosie and the new JH13.
Very informative vid.
https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern.alex/videos/1008577499187940/?fref=nf

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #4,325 of 16,080
How does your bores look like? What dimension on the sound tubes do you use and how many at the bores (output). I still haven't figured that out.

Edit: What tube OD dimensions are typical on IEMs with 3 bores.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #4,326 of 16,080
Here is a nice interview about the new JH lineup.
Apparently 4th order crossover on the high drivers on the Rosie and the new JH13.
Very informative vid.
https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern.alex/videos/1008577499187940/?fref=nf

Wow... every component have a inductive, resistive and capacitive part.

So all IEMs have a very complex 4nd order filter, Amazing discovery !

Really.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #4,327 of 16,080
  How does your bores look like? What dimension on the sound tubes do you use and how many at the bores (output). I still haven't figured that out.

Edit: What tube OD dimensions are typical on IEMs with 3 bores.

For me I think 2 bores is standard, I have 2.8mm OD, 3mm OD, 2mm OD tubes. Drilling the holes is a tricky task. I broke multiple shells trying to fit 2 bores. The best way is to use a small diamond burr preferably 1/1.5 mm Diameter and slowly enlarge the hole with the same bit. Another way would be to drill a big hole and fill it wit the tube and resin for a cure.

I think the 3 bores is usually made with at least 2X1.5mm OD tubes and one 2mm OD. but I am not sure. I also think a 3 bore design might be easier to achieve using the filling method rather than drilling.

Really.

I don't think it uses inductors, just the regular RC high pass filter with cap and resistor only 4th order.
also If I am not mistaken 4th order will have a 180deg phase shift at the crossover point thus the need to correct with the phasefreq (I think it is just longer tube to induce delay to the sound to correct phase, a thing I have discussed earlier in this thread without knowing it might be the thing behind freqphase) or maybe invert polarity of the drivers.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #4,328 of 16,080
  I don't think it uses inductors, just the regular RC high pass filter with cap and resistor only 4th order.
also If I am not mistaken 4th order will have a 180deg phase shift at the crossover point thus the need to correct with the phasefreq (I think it is just longer tube to induce delay to the sound to correct phase, a thing I have discussed earlier in this thread without knowing it might be the thing behind freqphase) or maybe invert polarity of the drivers.

RC high pass need an inductor and the phase shift of a 4th order is 360°.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #4,329 of 16,080
How is the sensitivity of a multiple BA design affected? Is there a way to make it lower while designing a circuit? I really would like to know if I can reduce the hiss on my CIEM attempts.

So far I didn't have a lot of time to even complete a full build but I have been able to hear CI drivers in shells out of curiosity and I have noticed various hissing level from various sources.
It was a simple circuit nothing special, just BAs connected to a 2pin connector but on some sources the hiss was a bit too apparent. I am aware that an amp or a source with a low noise floor could be a solution but I would like to know if there's a possibility to affect the sensitivity from the other side of the "equation".  

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #4,331 of 16,080
  For me I think 2 bores is standard, I have 2.8mm OD, 3mm OD, 2mm OD tubes. Drilling the holes is a tricky task. I broke multiple shells trying to fit 2 bores. The best way is to use a small diamond burr preferably 1/1.5 mm Diameter and slowly enlarge the hole with the same bit. Another way would be to drill a big hole and fill it wit the tube and resin for a cure.

I think the 3 bores is usually made with at least 2X1.5mm OD tubes and one 2mm OD. but I am not sure. I also think a 3 bore design might be easier to achieve using the filling method rather than drilling.

Thanks mate. I suspected it would be someting like that for 3 bores. However i thought all manufacturers wanted to try and keep as large soundtubes as possible for the highs. 1.5 mm tube would kill a highs quiet a lot? The lows can have very small soundtubes. 

I will however try to use one 3mm OD for highs and 2.1 mm OD for lows.

Whenever i mention small or big tubes, i mean the diameter :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #4,332 of 16,080

Really.

I'm a little skeptical when no CIEM maker uses an elecrical low pass filter, thus no bandpass either and then all of a sudden one claims they have low pass, band pass, high pass and also in fourth order
in a universal

Did i miss something? :D

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #4,333 of 16,080

... i fooled myself... RC filter is RC, it is just R and C.

biggrin.gif
 We all don't know what we are doing here...hehe...We clicked on this thread and just got sucked in...  We just invested too much money in equipment and stuff and just don't want to back up, we also like the look of CIEMs sometimes it just look too sexy. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #4,334 of 16,080

biggrin.gif
 We all don't know what we are doing here...hehe...We clicked on this thread and just got sucked in...  We just invested too much money in equipment and stuff and just don't want to back up, we also like the look of CIEMs sometimes it just look too sexy. 

The poor cat is blocked in a concrete filter... how set him free ?
He should be so scared !

I'm a little skeptical when no CIEM maker uses an elecrical low pass filter, thus no bandpass either and then all of a sudden one claims they have low pass, band pass, high pass and also in fourth order
in a universal

Did i miss something? :D

Sorry i was digressing a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back