Home-Made IEMs
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,859 of 16,107
I was browsing on aliexpress and saw quite a number of DIY iems, these quad BA's in particular had my interest:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-diy-handmade-earphone-in-ear-hook-headphone-with-Four-units-MicroDrivers-se535-Housing-shell/32296042540.html?ws_ab_test=201407_4,201444_6,201409_4

I sent them a message for more details and was told they're Knowles units with a 3-way crossover; 1 high, 1 mid, 2 low units.

I'm tempted to get this can any of you diy buffs tell me why this could be a terrible idea? My knowledge of DIY'in these things is minimal :)

Thanks

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #3,861 of 16,107
Hey guys, I've been reading this whole thread and a ton of others on different sites for the last 3 weeks and I am interested into making my own CIEM.
Now I have amassed sufficient knowledge to start but before I pour a ton of money on gear I have a BIG question.

I never heard BA drivers, I am aware there are different ones with different combination and endless ways to get different sound signature but what is intriguing me is the bass quality/quantity I can expect from it. There is this kind of "common opinion" that BA bass cannot rival Dynamic driver bass....

I am not looking for bassheads level but I want my future builds to have at least the bass quality of my current Vsonic GR07BE. The Vsonics BE have a very good bass impact that goes low with the right amount to my taste. Is it even attainable? Will they be able to move sufficient amount of air or have the same rumble?
if so What bass driver should I be looking for CI's, Sonions? should I use doubles for bass? 

Also i have a basic circuitry question about impedance. If I want to calculate it (with no tool just based on a design schematic) do I add the total left earpiece in parallel to the total right earpiece?
Also if anyone have an impedance calculation example of a 2way crossover or 3way crossover design that would be nice.

I am sure I will have other questions on the way ...

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,862 of 16,107
Hello guys, as a headphones w***e,im in making a IEMS because i hate to spend big amount of my paycheck on custom ones and i want to make, fail, try again and so on. My question is where to get something in europe, to make impressions?

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #3,865 of 16,107
Better in DIY route than in mainstream :D Im looking for a fall-winter project so this would be a very good thing :)

Maybe buy some shells from aliexpress (DIY Custom/universal) and some Knowles GK and GQ drivers and experiment?

That's what I have done and its a cheap way to get some decent drivers and crossover components, TWFKs, CIs, caps, resistors, etc.

Mine don't sound too bad, even experimenting with adding dual dynamics I took from some Samsung's that where hyped last year.

Can link shells if needed.

SoSoS

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #3,866 of 16,107
Moving iron HiFi headphones shell DIY headphones similar shell se535 se215 shell
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moving-iron-HiFi-headphones-shell-DIY-headphones-similar-shell-se535-se215-shell/32247940474.html
(from AliExpress Android)

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,867 of 16,107
Moving iron HiFi headphones shell DIY headphones similar shell se535 se215 shell
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moving-iron-HiFi-headphones-shell-DIY-headphones-similar-shell-se535-se215-shell/32247940474.html
(from AliExpress Android)

Thank you, ill look after work on this. Been thinking to use something like this but then idea to make a round shell struck into head :) 

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #3,868 of 16,107
  Thank you, ill look after work on this. Been thinking to use something like this but then idea to make a round shell struck into head :) 

Maybe, you guys should to have a look at TAOBAO, there have so many goods on line shopping. Just like BA drivers, cables, and so on...

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=6fvg283b2af&id=41074279827  you can try to click this link to reach it...

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #3,869 of 16,107
  Maybe, you guys should to have a look at TAOBAO, there have so many goods on line shopping. Just like BA drivers, cables, and so on...

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=6fvg283b2af&id=41074279827  you can try to click this link to reach it...

I intend to make most of my purchases for my project from there. UV resin for shells, ears impression material, wires tubing driver and what not...I will be using a forwarding agent for for delivery.

Hey guys, I've been reading this whole thread and a ton of others on different sites for the last 3 weeks and I am interested into making my own CIEM.
Now I have amassed sufficient knowledge to start but before I pour a ton of money on gear I have a BIG question.

I never heard BA drivers, I am aware there are different ones with different combination and endless ways to get different sound signature but what is intriguing me is the bass quality/quantity I can expect from it. There is this kind of "common opinion" that BA bass cannot rival Dynamic driver bass....

I am not looking for bassheads level but I want my future builds to have at least the bass quality of my current Vsonic GR07BE. The Vsonics BE have a very good bass impact that goes low with the right amount to my taste. Is it even attainable? Will they be able to move sufficient amount of air or have the same rumble?
if so What bass driver should I be looking for CI's, Sonions? should I use doubles for bass? 

Also i have a basic circuitry question about impedance. If I want to calculate it (with no tool just based on a design schematic) do I add the total left earpiece in parallel to the total right earpiece?
Also if anyone have an impedance calculation example of a 2way crossover or 3way crossover design that would be nice.

I am sure I will have other questions on the way ...

Anyone can answer this? 
Buy the way is there anybody from this thread who is still active?

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #3,870 of 16,107
  I intend to make most of my purchases for my project from there. UV resin for shells, ears impression material, wires tubing driver and what not...I will be using a forwarding agent for for delivery.

Anyone can answer this? 
Buy the way is there anybody from this thread who is still active?

Where are you from? i have help two Korea IEM person to shipping the material to them, but only drivers, cables, female jack... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back