Home-Made IEMs
Mar 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3,558 of 15,989
Hey got a question. You know how there's a left over solder pad when you connect your CI22955? What happens if you remove the pad and leave the hole open?

I accidentally left the hole open once and it gave a huge bass response. I couldn't find what's wrong for a long time until I saw the hole and close it up with solder. I wonder if leaving it open would sound good...

It acts like venting.

I'm more concerned if the distortion will jump up like the 3800 series or the HODVTEC. Vented bass does sound nice, and the extra bass can be tamed by resistors. Though I guess if I have to use resistors there's no point in venting it.

Thanks for your help :)
yes, distortion will increase from vented driver

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,559 of 15,989
It acts like venting.
yes, distortion will increase from vented driver

But can that kind of distortion be reduced by doubling or quadrupling the number of bass drivers, so as to reduce the per-driver excursion requirement for any given equivalent SPL?

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3,560 of 15,989
So here's a question: does anyone have a method, trick, or sure fire way of making sure the nozzle of your IEM is pointing at your ear drum and not being blocked because it's partially facing the inner wall of your ear?

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,561 of 15,989
So here's a question: does anyone have a method, trick, or sure fire way of making sure the nozzle of your IEM is pointing at your ear drum and not being blocked because it's partially facing the inner wall of your ear?

Don't cut the canal tips too close to the 2nd bends, if possible before cutting take a careful look at the impresisions especially the past 2nd bend part angle.
Assuming you're working with acrylic, when drilling bores try to picture how and where the drivers will be placed inside later. What you want to achieve is to drill holes that run parrallel to the ear canals to prevent sound from bouncing agaisnt your ears too much once it exits the IEM.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #3,562 of 15,989

But can that kind of distortion be reduced by doubling or quadrupling the number of bass drivers, so as to reduce the per-driver excursion requirement for any given equivalent SPL?

yes you can but it will increase bass response 6dB for every same driver in the same range so 2 CI would be probably max you could use probably

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #3,564 of 15,989

yes you can but it will increase bass response 6dB for every same driver in the same range so 2 CI would be probably max you could use probably

Yeah, so just double-up all the drivers for mid, treble, etc., as well.

Hey, it's only money!
biggrin.gif

(I realise it's not quite that simple
wink.gif
)

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,567 of 15,989
Now I need some help...

I'm ready to hook it all up with internal wires. I got the CI+TWFK and can't figure out where to solder which cable, how do I know which solder pads are +/- or doesn't it matter? I can't find any schematic at knowles site describing anything. I did find som scheme over the TWFK in the thread gallery but nothing on CI. 

Some pictures would be great... :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,569 of 15,989
  Now I need some help...

I'm ready to hook it all up with internal wires. I got the CI+TWFK and can't figure out where to solder which cable, how do I know which solder pads are +/- or doesn't it matter? I can't find any schematic at knowles site describing anything. I did find som scheme over the TWFK in the thread gallery but nothing on CI. 

Some pictures would be great... :)

send me your email address via PM I will send you my open source design for CI+TWFK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back