Home-Made IEMs
Dec 14, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2,927 of 16,074

The silver things are BA, white are SMD inductors.
Caps and resistors are in the shells, there is no place for another component... my big ears are just enough.

those look fantastic. great job!

a few questions for you "pros". I just recieved the BAs..holy crap they're tiny. 

1. Which way should the damper be inserted into the tube? i.e, filter facing to the BA or to the tube exit?
2. How did you guys go about soldering these little things? just tin the wire, then apply wire and soldering iron to the BA for a second or so?
3. I'll be using some MMCX connectors, so how should I attach the wires to those, or does polarity not really matter, as long as they are both the same?

thanks in advance

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,929 of 16,074
  those look fantastic. great job!

a few questions for you "pros". I just recieved the BAs..holy crap they're tiny. 

1. Which way should the damper be inserted into the tube? i.e, filter facing to the BA or to the tube exit?
2. How did you guys go about soldering these little things? just tin the wire, then apply wire and soldering iron to the BA for a second or so?
3. I'll be using some MMCX connectors, so how should I attach the wires to those, or does polarity not really matter, as long as they are both the same?

thanks in advance

Thanks.

1. Put the filter on a table, and try to put the tube on it, when inserted slide it into the tube with a 2mm spindle (bike spoke)
The filter must face the tube exit.

2. BA (and all SMD components) don't like heat at all !
Just tin the wire, then apply wire and soldering iron to the BA... be very very fast, wait 15 sec between two headings and envelope the BA in a thermal pad for dissipation. Avoid heating it more than 1sec.

3. + on the center pin - on the bore.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #2,933 of 16,074
Silverprout,
Tell me please how to solder so as not to damage the receivers, there's a very small contact. Perhaps manufacturers wil tell nuances.

Envelope the BA in a thermal pad for dissipation
Put some solder on the wire (don't add any more on the receiver)
Go very fast... put the wire on the receiver contact and touch it with the iron, do not panic... if you miss, wait and take one minute to calm down.

http://www.sonion.com/Products/Transducers/~/media/Files/Products/Application%20Notes/Transducers/Soldering%20RoHS%20Compatible%20Transducers_AN_rev004.ashx

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,935 of 16,074

Thanks.

1. Put the filter on a table, and try to put the tube on it, when inserted slide it into the tube with a 2mm spindle (bike spoke)
The filter must face the tube exit.

2. BA (and all SMD components) don't like heat at all !
Just tin the wire, then apply wire and soldering iron to the BA... be very very fast, wait 15 sec between two headings and envelope the BA in a thermal pad for dissipation. Avoid heating it more than 1sec.

3. + on the center pin - on the bore.

thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. What do you mean by "enveloping" the BA? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back