Home-Made IEMs
May 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,681 of 16,072
Hi I`m new to this forum and thread. Great find!
I've been working on IEMs for a little while now and I`m trying to acquire drivers which is difficult. So far the only easily accessible source I found is through digkey for Knowles drivers. Sonion is apparently only direct contact. 
I made great progress of making good fitting acrylic shells, which is why I`m trying to move on with the project. I didn't have time to read through the whole thread, but I think I read that some people use epoxy as IEM housing material, which may not be biocompatible. You might get rashes or worse reactions. I will post some pics of my shells if there is any interest.

I think I also saw someone mentioning Hackerspace. I`m in SF so maybe there can be some local collaboration!

May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,682 of 16,072
  Hi I`m new to this forum and thread. Great find!
I've been working on IEMs for a little while now and I`m trying to acquire drivers which is difficult. So far the only easily accessible source I found is through digkey for Knowles drivers. Sonion is apparently only direct contact. 
I made great progress of making good fitting acrylic shells, which is why I`m trying to move on with the project. I didn't have time to read through the whole thread, but I think I read that some people use epoxy as IEM housing material, which may not be biocompatible. You might get rashes or worse reactions. I will post some pics of my shells if there is any interest.

I think I also saw someone mentioning Hackerspace. I`m in SF so maybe there can be some local collaboration!

Of course there is !! MOAR DETAILS!

And WELCOME... sorry for your wallet.

May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,683 of 16,072
Hi Dan,

Interesting that the nail polish seems to work. Both material are probably not ideal though because they are formulated as adhesive. Based on my calculation the acrylic material will make up only a marginal cost of IEMs, the majority is the BAs and connectors. In my case the cost of the acrylic should not be more than $5 per set. 
Do you have close up pictures? I'm interested in the surface morphology and transparency. Did you polish them? I will share some images of my first set that I just finished a few days ago.

May 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,684 of 16,072

OK. I've completed another set of CIEMs. Basically they are clear acrylic shells with Astrotec AX35 monitors in them. If you didn't know, the Astrotecs are affordable ($70) hybrid monitors with a dynamic speaker for the low spectrum and a balanced armature for the highs. Sound-wise, they are much better than my Sennheiser IE-4 and my Knowles dual driver designs. The Astrotecs are physically a bit large in the shell but I made it work. The dynamic speaker is much more suited for the lows and it really shines in the CIEM shells.
  So I did some experimenting with the different UV acrylics I've used and here's my verdict. The $5 nail salon stuff from Ebay looks, smells, flows, and cures just like the expensive Loctite stuff. That's what I'll use from now on. So total cost of the best CIEMs I have; less than $80.

Sorry Dan,

My previous post was supposed to be a quote!

May 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,685 of 16,072
Quick follow up:

Here's a pic of my first finished shell. No components inside, but will follow. I used a crude setup for polishing, but just today got a fixture for my dremel that should allow cleaner preparation of the samples. What I learned from preparing the shells is that it takes a good amount of practicing and experience to understand which impression material is needed and not needed.

I don't have rights to upload images...see the link

1zzp91u.jpg

May 16, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,687 of 16,072
That looks great!
Well done :)
Do you feel they're comfy/seal well?

Thanks!

Coupling is great and the shell wall thickness turned out great too (not measured but ~1mm).

Due to a recommendation I will start testing IEMs with dynamic drivers instead of BAs. Does anyone know which model/make of dynamic drivers is popular for IEMs and possibly where to buy them?

May 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,693 of 16,072
Hello all, It has taken me more than a month to read all the way through this thread, about half way though I decided I had to make my own pare. I am still experimenting with making the shells at this point and don't have pictures to post yet. 

for drivers I decided to use the Knowles GK-31732-000. It is a 3 way driver combining TWFK and CI in one package pre-wired with a crossover. I have not tested my drivers out yet because I accidentally ordered to few connectors. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of all my remaining parts. 

I have no soldering skills to speak of and am afraid of damaging the drivers since they are a little expensive so I decided to use a conductive adhesive covered with hot glue instead of solder. I will let you all know how that works out for me :)

For shell material I have been using 2 part dental acrylic so far but I am less than happy with the results and I plan to switch over to UV cured nail acrylic for the final shell. The problem with the dental acrylic is that it hardens almost immediately once you combine the acrylic powder with the monomer liquid and so it can not be easily poured into the mold, I have compensated for this by combining the the acrylic and monomer directly in the mold a little bit at a time.

I plan to take pictures and post more once I have better results.

Thank you everyone who has contributed so many great ideas to this thread so far :D

May 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,694 of 16,072
Good work on the shells. How did you polish them up? I've seen the videos of the companies using a buffing wheel at high speed. I had pretty unsatisfactory results with the high speed polishing wheel on the dremel. I'd like to get a more polished finish on my future models.
DanJarros

May 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,695 of 16,072
You need to solder. Get a 20-25 watt iron with a very smooth tip and get a set of "helping hands" from EBay. Use a flux core electronics solder that melts fast and clean. I almost hate to say this but the electronics solder(specifically) from Radio Shack is really good.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back