Home-Made IEMs
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,666 of 15,996
  Great work!!! did you design the crossover your self or is off shelf.

The crossover is my own design. Based on the Linkwitz-Riley crossover, with input and output buffers at unity gain. All-in-all that's 25 opamps :) 

Powered from a 3.7V cellphone battery, the power supply is split with a virtual ground to ±1.85V and also includes battery charging circuitry. Should have a running time of about 40 hours, but I'm still on the first charge so that's not confirmed yet.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #1,667 of 15,996
Hi all. For a long time I dream of custom earphones but i'm a student that have no enough money to afford any interesting models or probably any custom. Therefore the subject of creation of custom earphones is very interesting to me. Allow for a moment that I can make ear molds at the doctor and on these molds i can make an acrylic form, with it problems aren't present. The main problem with purchase of armature drivers and other equipment and sequence of soldering these elements. For several days I read all tread and approximately represent what drivers I want. i love UM miracle and want to do something like this.
here is link where i found what drivers are use in different ciem
http://player.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=44226&d=1349783572
Because of i live in Russia i have a problems with deliver from mouser(150$) and i found drivers on taobao,here is link
http://shop33638502.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.0.0.yEjrqz
in this shop i can buy twfk and ci22955 or dinamic driver? and filters, i think to get tubing in drugstore, or somewhere else, no matter about this
so.. there is a lot of questions about soldering and what capacitors use, for example if i use 2 twfk+22955 how can i connect all this? How connect 4 twfk + dinamic driver like in UM miracle? I plan to spend about $150-200 for all this idea.
A lot of questions and few answers. I have a strong wish to systematize information and finally understand everything.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,668 of 15,996
Hi if you are new to BA I would suggest to try simple things. Even a 2way would be complex to get it right and sounding good.
$150-200 You cannot do 4 twfk + dinamic driver. At this budget I think you can do just twfk.
I dont think someone here can help you with crossover design, you will have to try on your own, and without measuring rig you cannot get complex designs done. So my advice would be to keep it simple for DIY.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,669 of 15,996
I have found this guy 
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.KJJP1Y&scm=1007.10011.531.0&id=16821376539&pvid=37b9287a-406f-49ef-b5ff-010f2f0f731d#reviews
and as i understand he can make any crossover you want, he has different options like a 2 drivers or 4 drivers crossover. Trying to contact with him and find out what is it.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,671 of 15,996

After a long time in development, my latest IEMs are done.

5 drivers per ear (CI,DTEC and TWFK), with an external battery powered, 3-way, 4th order active crossover system feeding them. Simply amazing sound, easily rivals some of my high quality full sized cans.

That's freaking incredible.
Really, I envy the talent capable of this sort of thing.

I don't know if you've already got some fancy faceplates on those beauties, but if not, and you like the look of something like these, PM me, I'd happily make you a pair like the bottom row ( sorry about the crap pic' )
etysmile.gif
:

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,674 of 15,996
  That's freaking incredible.
Really, I envy the talent capable of this sort of thing.

I don't know if you've already got some fancy faceplates on those beauties, but if not, and you like the look of something like these, PM me, I'd happily make you a pair like the bottom row ( sorry about the crap pic' )
etysmile.gif
:

Are these CNC-ed? They look fabulous! 

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,675 of 15,996
Thanks, glad you like them.
They're all painstakingly hand made ( with cheap crappy tools too! ).
The only machine made part is the large hole drilled in the 'keyhole' shaped plates.
The texture on some is created by etching the alloy with acid.

These were all sent to Phil at Cosmic Ears to see if he can make them work as faceplates, that is still a work in progress I believe.
Aluminium is difficult to lacquer as paints tend not to stick without a special primer designed especially for aluminium, but this is opaque.

I plan to try making my own shells at some point, but since I have zero electronics skills they'll have to simply be housings for IEM's.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,676 of 15,996
  @wz2000 do you have any measurements?

Here's a frequency response graph I measured from the finished IEMs. I'm not sure if says too much, everyone has a different test setup that affects the curve. I couple the IEM to a WM-61a mic with a 6x20mm(DiameterxLength) silicone tube.

I only use these measurements as a reference when I make any changes to the design.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,678 of 15,996
I think the low end roll off is mostly due the measurement setup. I tend to see that kind of roll off often when I measure. Still, when I listen to these, the bass is quite powerful and deep, without being bloaty in the mid bass region.
I can't say that there isn't any roll off for sure, but there's certainly not much of it.
One thing I could try, since the DTEC can go pretty low as well, is to lower the crossover frequency further (currently about 110hz) and crank up the amplitude of the CI.
If I increase the CI right now, I'll end up with too much on the >100hz region.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,679 of 15,996
  Thanks, glad you like them.
They're all painstakingly hand made ( with cheap crappy tools too! ).
The only machine made part is the large hole drilled in the 'keyhole' shaped plates.
The texture on some is created by etching the alloy with acid.

These were all sent to Phil at Cosmic Ears to see if he can make them work as faceplates, that is still a work in progress I believe.
Aluminium is difficult to lacquer as paints tend not to stick without a special primer designed especially for aluminium, but this is opaque.

I plan to try making my own shells at some point, but since I have zero electronics skills they'll have to simply be housings for IEM's.

The thought that you created them by hand never crossed my mind, I thought they were all machined! Great job!

If it were me I would apply a layer of clear acrylic on top of the faceplate first before lacquering them. I believe that's what Cosmic Ears is doing with their Steampunk designs, unless you want to feel the aluminium texture.

Anyway I look forward to the final product, very original indeed.

May 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,680 of 15,996
Hi All,
Great thread.  Looking to get my own project going.  Anyone look at the effects of increasing the diameter of the tube beyond the standard 2mm used on Knowles.  Seems like the larger the diameter, the high frequencies improve, but I haven't seen any measurements beyond 2mm.  

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back