Home-Made IEMs
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #13,111 of 15,993
I think the common approach for soldering onto driver pads is to use a putty to hold the drivers in place. The most common one I’ve seen is Blu Tack.

@dhruvmeena96
You mentioned a finale 4 a few years ago and I’m curious if that has any new progress.

I built a finale 2 recently and was wondering if a 38D1XJ would help with the bass. I found an old post that said it would work with a yellow damper but nothing about tube length and damper position.
I know its used and recommended in every DIY forum dedicated to this subject. I too used. I still have it around only as a last ditch effort. That stuff IS SOOOOOO FRUSTRATING. If you boot or wrap your drivers itll get stuck on there, leave residue, require clean-up, etc. you also have to be super mindful to not get it in the sound spout. Which can be difficult as sometimes you need to position the drivers at a certain angle. Switching to soft clamp alligator clips or wrapping the driver in a latex tube then clamping has saved so much frustration, clean-up, etc. when I do use it though, no way I will ever use the blue. I use the white version from gorilla glue. Less prone to super sticking and any residue left behind is indistiguishable.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #13,112 of 15,993
Yes. It is a guide. For sure! I used it to get started and its been invaluable to me. However, some of the philosophies and approach to CIEM sound staging I just dont necessarily approach it from that perspective. Theres also some things you learn along the way that are just flat out wrong, in my opinion. I would think of it more as a beginners guide to DIY and not a professional training document, if that makes any sense.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #13,113 of 15,993
I know its used and recommended in every DIY forum dedicated to this subject. I too used. I still have it around only as a last ditch effort. That stuff IS SOOOOOO FRUSTRATING. If you boot or wrap your drivers itll get stuck on there, leave residue, require clean-up, etc. you also have to be super mindful to not get it in the sound spout. Which can be difficult as sometimes you need to position the drivers at a certain angle. Switching to soft clamp alligator clips or wrapping the driver in a latex tube then clamping has saved so much frustration, clean-up, etc. when I do use it though, no way I will ever use the blue. I use the white version from gorilla glue. Less prone to super sticking and any residue left behind is indistiguishable.
You need to buy brand name blu tack! Had the same experience while using off brand stuff

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #13,114 of 15,993
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #13,115 of 15,993
Btw anyone ever did experiments in expanding or improving soundstage? It is REALLY hard to find any info on this

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #13,117 of 15,993
I'm interested too, I assume that response over 10khz probably has a lot to do with it.
Actually I don't think so. I tried a lot of damping, boosting, EQing, tuning and nothing there improves the size. You are right about spatial cues being in that range though.

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #13,118 of 15,993
Where can i find this type of wire?

Attachments

• EwPh536UUAIcNJq.jpg
    EwPh536UUAIcNJq.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #13,119 of 15,993
Hey, I found several suppliers of this kind of cable on AliExpress.
You can find them yourself if you search for something like "DIY Headphone Wire" and then search the different stores. Here is one example from the GD-PARTS Audio Store, it has this silver-transparent cable in different diameters from 0.2mm to 6.0mm in the "DIY Cables, Wires" section of the store.

Example Store

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #13,120 of 15,993
I have soldering station Weller and fx888
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00EK7TE2E?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Good station and not expensible
I previously had the Weller 1010N, which is equivalent to this model. It performed quite well over the course of 2 years. I learned to solder with that unit. The main issue with it is that Weller doesn’t have a micro sized tip or soldering pencil compatible with that workstation. One huge plus to having a micro tip is reducing the foot print of the heating element.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #13,121 of 15,993
The wire in the photograph is not necessarily the wire used in custom IEMs or hearing aids. The wire shown is most likely a silver stranded AWG 30,32, or 34. Knowles lists their AWG compatibility on every data/tech sheet. The type of wire used by virtually the entire industry is specialty wire called litz wire. The industry standard wire comes from estron. Yes you can find knock-offs and different varieties all over the internet.

You can find the AWG 30, 32, or 34 on Amazon super cheap. BE VERY CAUTIOUS USING THIS WIRE. I have had solder pads on the drivers pull clean off due to the rigidity of the wire post soldering. Also, you will need a set of wire snips to remove the casing then you will also need to tin the wire on both ends. Plus, if you have more than 2 armatures in your build plus a PCB, you will run out of real estate pretty quick.
Id source the litz wire from Soundlink if youre wanting just enough to cover one build.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #13,122 of 15,993
You can find them yourself if you search for something like "DIY Headphone Wire" and then search the different stores. Here is one example from the GD-PARTS Audio Store, it has this silver-transparent cable in different diameters from 0.2mm to 6.0mm in the "DIY Cables, Wires" section of the store.

Example S

Example Store
What is the diameter for the iem driver wiring?

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #13,123 of 15,993
The wire in the photograph is not necessarily the wire used in custom IEMs or hearing aids. The wire shown is most likely a silver stranded AWG 30,32, or 34. Knowles lists their AWG compatibility on every data/tech sheet. The type of wire used by virtually the entire industry is specialty wire called litz wire. The industry standard wire comes from estron. Yes you can find knock-offs and different varieties all over the internet.

You can find the AWG 30, 32, or 34 on Amazon super cheap. BE VERY CAUTIOUS USING THIS WIRE. I have had solder pads on the drivers pull clean off due to the rigidity of the wire post soldering. Also, you will need a set of wire snips to remove the casing then you will also need to tin the wire on both ends. Plus, if you have more than 2 armatures in your build plus a PCB, you will run out of real estate pretty quick.
Id source the litz wire from Soundlink if youre wanting just enough to cover one build.
Thats alot of info , my build is hybrid , so there is no musch wiring .

I found this
https://m.id.aliexpress.com/item/4000318231657.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

What the one you recomend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back