Home-Made IEMs
Nov 12, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #11,807 of 15,989
Hello guys. I need a little help. I'm starting to make MASM7. I’ve been keeping Bellsing 10013 for a year now for this moment. I can't find (ceramic) CAP's of 22uF and 5uF in my area. They said it's not standard :triumph::triumph:. Are they from aliexpress good (link below) ? Also 38Ohm rez... Can i connect them in series ? Thanks to everyone who has experience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

MASM_7_scheme.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #11,808 of 15,989
I see! Thank you for the reply!
I tried adding rc filter to my mid high drivers just to test it out and see if it changes from different amp just to experiment(I dont have the tool to measure impedance yet), but its only the low end that changes.

This is becoming a problem as it sounded bright on my phone which is not what I want, I am thinking of changing the whole circuit into one without low pass rc but using only dampers.

Is this one of the reason why most brands do not use RC filter for low pass?

If you don't mind would you guide me to what does L pad and voltage divider do to BAs? I know that L pad are usually used to reduce spl but I didn't know it could change impedance as well!

Also regarding zobel I couldn't find the details of the driver for zobel calculation(22955), is there any other way to calculate it?
Thank you very much!

No this is not the reason why many brands didn't use rc lowpass.
an Lpad is a voltage divider, depending on implementation you could achieve a more linear impedance behavior. if you want to start knowing what you are doing then you have no choice than build a jig to measure your impedance and play around with values to see the changes.

Regarding a zobel for a CI you could try values 15uf and 27ohm, but it doesn't ensure you won't have the same behavior. again, the impedance behavior you have depends on the overall response of your complete config not parts of them.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #11,809 of 15,989
Hello guys. I need a little help. I'm starting to make MASM7. I’ve been keeping Bellsing 10013 for a year now for this moment. I can't find (ceramic) CAP's of 22uF and 5uF in my area. They said it's not standard :triumph::triumph:. Are they from aliexpress good (link below) ? Also 38Ohm rez... Can i connect them in series ? Thanks to everyone who has experience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

MASM_7_scheme.JPG

Yes these capacitors should be ok and yes you can connect different resistor values to achieve 38ohms it's ok.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #11,810 of 15,989

MASM_7_scheme.JPG
I think this build is too old now
LoL

I think

Try RAB32033 with zobel and wbfk or tweeter inserted in zobel's resistor part(wbfk will be flattened out with its own zobel)

I did some pages ago

You can experiment with tubes and damper but that will get you better distortion figure, better impedance, better drive characterstics and better efficiency (not the dB, but electrical power loss)

Plus it's cheaper

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #11,811 of 15,989
Thanks guys ! I follow everything regularly. @dhruvmeena96 I know this build is old but these are the only drivers (10013 and 32033) I currently have and will be great for one of my first build. I will definitely try your suggestion too and thank you for that! So far, I’ve only put Shure and similar brands in shells for friends. By the way I am a singer and acoustic guitar player and I will definitely be looking for lighter tone iem's with moderate bass. Does anyone have any experience which lineup would be good for bassists and drummers? This 4 way (from musmecca) seems interesting to me. This is definitely my next investment, as soon as the gigs start in the next century :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Attachments

• 4way.jpg
    4way.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #11,812 of 15,989
Thanks guys ! I follow everything regularly. @dhruvmeena96 I know this build is old but these are the only drivers (10013 and 32033) I currently have and will be great for one of my first build. I will definitely try your suggestion too and thank you for that! So far, I’ve only put Shure and similar brands in shells for friends. By the way I am a singer and acoustic guitar player and I will definitely be looking for lighter tone iem's with moderate bass. Does anyone have any experience which lineup would be good for bassists and drummers? This 4 way (from musmecca) seems interesting to me. This is definitely my next investment, as soon as the gigs start in the next century :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
This 4 way is orignally from @piotrus-g
It is not for the faint of heart.

It's an advanced build

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11,816 of 15,989
I want to create a Harman target with a single DD

But now it seems a distant dream
I wonder if most of the knowledge revolves around mainly Knowles drivers. So i guess me wanting to make a 3 way 1DD 2BA is probably gonna me much harder to find out the how to than a similar 3BA. Isn't it?

I sometimes wonder if someone has actually used a Knowles SR and compared to whatever DDs they may have since they are more or less intended to work as woofers apparently.

Speaking of tuning i kinda mentioned this before... Clairvoyance with about -2bB at 3kHz. And I think i was told that itll take a lot of trial and error to recreate the 300Hz bass shelf, which presumably is a job for the DD.

... Another idea is a 28mm home made EST driver with a GL20 like housing.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #11,817 of 15,989
No this is not the reason why many brands didn't use rc lowpass.
an Lpad is a voltage divider, depending on implementation you could achieve a more linear impedance behavior. if you want to start knowing what you are doing then you have no choice than build a jig to measure your impedance and play around with values to see the changes.

Regarding a zobel for a CI you could try values 15uf and 27ohm, but it doesn't ensure you won't have the same behavior. again, the impedance behavior you have depends on the overall response of your complete config not parts of them.
Thank you! I should try to get an impedance tool.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #11,818 of 15,989
Thank you. I read that. I will definitely do it again because I am weak in the field of electronics. Here I came up with a little trick for “us” who don’t have 711 and similar testing devices, so the only option is our own ears! That way I will test my TripleFi 10's and color and positions of dumpers.

Procedure:
Fill the Impression Kit into a 5ml syringe. Make sure there is no air in between! When dry, remove and cut as two small rolls. Shape the edge that goes into the ear. Drill the rollers depending on the required number of holes and the thickness of the tube you use on the drivers (two tubes 3OD for my setup). I hope you find it useful. Good luck
This is how I do it. I do not solely rely on measurements because they of course do not show full story. So when attempting new "recipes" I always build earphones I can listen to - with fully sealed shell. That way I get also to listen to what I've created. I also use trimmed foam eartip to minimize the effect and have constant results when testing with this rig. I measured multiple earphones and now can compare them with the new creations.

Right now I'm trying to mate HODVTEC and GQ (original GQ has way too lean bass for my preference), but it proves to be difficult because HODVTEC is more sensitive and powerful, so sound is kind of dark. Right now I'm in the last steps, yesterday evening I got something I can enjoy.

Also I'm trying CI + SR. Of course top end is lacking, but SR has a very nicely articulated midrange. And CI is much more responsive to filters than HODVTEC, probably because it is a single driver. I managed to get a very clean sounding pair of IEMs with some decent CI subbass, but as mentioned above - top end is missing, sound is not very "airy" and wide. Could try to increase SR tube length as well, now it is 12 mm.
20201117_195948.jpg20201117_200008.jpg20201117_200037.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #11,819 of 15,989
@dhruvmeena96
@eunice
@Shilohsjustice
And all you other pros..... which recipe would you suggest for a mastering ciem with good detail in low/high mids and good Triebleextension with also low impedance(easy to drive)??? Bass should be there but is not of the essence!
so which one....
  1. Dhruve‘s recipe with ed30761+2389D and U-Pad
  2. MASM pro
  3. Finale 2
  4. Finale 3
go....... :L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back