Home-Made IEMs
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #10,727 of 16,003
Happy new years you guys, hope you all have a great year

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #10,730 of 16,003
Hey guys, just wondering is someone can help me out with an impedance jig? Not sure how to wire everything up. I am using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I'm not even sure if the input is stereo since as per REW, left and right will be used via input?

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #10,731 of 16,003
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #10,732 of 16,003

Thanks! My problem is that Scarlett Solo uses XLR. Not also sure if it's stereo. img036.jpg

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #10,733 of 16,003
Hey guys, just wondering is someone can help me out with an impedance jig? Not sure how to wire everything up. I am using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I'm not even sure if the input is stereo since as per REW, left and right will be used via input?
You need a stereo input, I gave up on my Edirol audio interface because all the inputs would appear as separate mono channels in macOS and REW seems to need one stereo channel. If you can get the Scarlett to present one stereo channel to REW you are definitely good, if not maybe you find a solution and can tell me.

Anyway, you have to wire the jig as per the schematics on the REW website and REW basically measures the difference between left and right.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/impedancemeasurement.html
One tip: I soldered a switch across the resistor to quickly switch between calibration and measuring.
Also: I bet the Scarlett uses combined xlr/6.5mm inputs, so you should be able to connect to an input via 6.5mm jack. Maybe it even has RCA in on the back. If not you have to look up the pinout for xlr.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #10,735 of 16,003
Hi everyone.

I want to start the BS6 project.

Is there any reason why I shoden't use cheap resin from AliExpress?
like this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/lFpnW75q

This greatly reduces the cost of production.

And another thing, should I wired the zoble directly to the built-in crossover without removing the resistor and capacitor that come connected?

It's not biocompatible, your ears are worth the extra cost

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #10,736 of 16,003
Hi everyone.

I want to start the BS6 project.

Is there any reason why I shoden't use cheap resin from AliExpress?
like this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/lFpnW75q

This greatly reduces the cost of production.

Exactly. One can cover the resin in biocompatible lacquer (eg dreve Lack3) but then you would need to find a resin that cures instantly and creates a nice wall when you pour the inside out. I have tried the Lisa Pavelka resin to save cost and it turns gooey and rubbery before hardening, you cannot easily get a nice outer wall with it. Also it is next to impossible to grind/sand with good result, as it tends to smear and stick to the sandpaper.

Go with Dreve, Pro3dure or Egger, there are many other things that you need to figure out. Finding another resin that works is a lot of work and no one was successful. Resin printing and then lacquering with a bio compatible lacquer is another story.

And another thing, should I wired the zoble directly to the built-in crossover without removing the resistor and capacitor that come connected?

exactly.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #10,737 of 16,003
Exactly. One can cover the resin in biocompatible lacquer (eg dreve Lack3) but then you would need to find a resin that cures instantly and creates a nice wall when you pour the inside out. I have tried the Lisa Pavelka resin to save cost and it turns gooey and rubbery before hardening, you cannot easily get a nice outer wall with it. Also it is next to impossible to grind/sand with good result, as it tends to smear and stick to the sandpaper.

Go with Dreve, Pro3dure or Egger, there are many other things that you need to figure out. Finding another resin that works is a lot of work and no one was successful. Resin printing and then lacquering with a bio compatible lacquer is another story.

exactly.
Ok thanks a lot

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #10,738 of 16,003

exactly.
Will 30 grams of Dreve resin be enough to make 2 pairs?

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #10,739 of 16,003
Sorry I had to edit my post, I totally botched my last answer.

I buy 100g bottles and I can make ~12 pairs with it. You need some additional material because you fill up the impression, cure a wall and you can pour the inside back into the bottle.

I once tried a 10g bottle and it was just not enough to make the second one of the pair, because I have large ears and could not fill up completely.

Calculating from that: I need ~7g per pair and and excess material of about 5g for making it.

Conclusion: With 30g you can make 3 pairs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #10,740 of 16,003
Sorry I had to edit my post, I totally botched my last answer.

I buy 100g bottles and I can make ~12 pairs with it. You need some additional material because you fill up the impression, cure a wall and you can pour the inside back into the bottle.

I once tried a 10g bottle and it was just not enough to make the second one of the pair, because I have large ears and could not fill up completely.

Calculating from that: I need ~7g per pair and and excess material of about 5g for making it.

Conclusion: With 30g you can make 3 pairs.
Thank you!! Exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back