Home-Made IEMs
Apr 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #916 of 16,063
any specific adapter names?
there are so many, i'm kind of confused.
a link to it would be excellent.

Thanks!

Quote:
The Cables aren't a big deal, actually you can purchase the Adapters I believe though DigiKey.com or Mouser.com. Your talking about the Cable that plugs into the Ipod or whatever? You want the little 2 port connecter that is mounted inside the ear mold right? If thats it there really really cheap... maybe 3 bucks probably .50 cents.

If you play your cards right you can get much if not all for very very cheap. Sonion.com and Knowles.com have the Receivers "Speakers. There is some other places that make them too but those are the top Players I believe. You can Have your Ear Impression done by an Audiologist or do it your self. An Audiologist will charge between $50. - $90. There are Many Websites that will Tell you EXACTLY how to do an Impression. Westone has a great Tutorial along with many others. And once that is done Send them to a place like, In'Tech Industries Incorported - Manufacture of miniature plastic hearing aid component parts, faceplates, battery doors and other hearing aid components.
Which is where I am having my CIC shells made. For my Hearing Aid Project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubbberDucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there are no other little electronic components necessary other than the Cable and the driver? It would be really cool to put them in a custom mold and figure out how to get a little jack in there that would accept the Ultimate Ears replacement cables. But by that time I would have probably spent more time and money on it than buying some nice dual customs from Alien Ears. Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be a nice translucent blue acrylic. It would be very difficult to work with custom molds of my ears, at least they are big... However they would be Mine, and I love making things. Maybe I will give it a go in a few months. I always have you guys to ask for help when the going gets rough!

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #917 of 16,063
also, there are the UM Merlins, a hybrid of BA and Dynamic drivers.
what Dynamic drivers do they use, and where do they get them from?
anyone has recommendations for the best Dynamic drivers, and can anyone possibly post a comparison?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #918 of 16,063
I just saw the 2nd IEM with the orange and white cables, I know you can do a better job twisting them lol
wink.gif

Get that tight weave action going on~

150th post goes to you and your IEM

May 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #919 of 16,063
Hi guys.

I'm only at page 42 reading this thread.
Awesome!

I'm one of those guys who actually make the shells and assemble. (I'm in Europe)
It was for compositions of drivers and filters I happened to find this thread.

SO!
why not help each other maybe?
If one could pre-assemble their choice of drivers (soldered etc) and a good (!) deep enough impression (preferably slightly pressured) I will make the shells and implement the electronics, tubing etc, and close up the shell again. I will connect it to a 2 pin scoket in the shell.

Not shure yet what this all should cost though...

May 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #920 of 16,063
Have just bought TF10x4 from one of the club member. Now finish reading 60+ pages plus waiting UM (and Maodi) to response, I'm not quite sure getting TF10x4 remolded is my answer or should I go for a fresh start.

Guys, Please correct me. I got this from somewhere but don't think this is 100% accurate. (MOD please delete if this is not appropriate)

My interests is in JH13 (many people said it's the best in the market by miles) / TF10x4 (what I have now - quite good already without remolding) / SE530 (many people praise for its good textured mids and this seems to be my cup of tea)

The others are just for the record :wink:

JH13Pro
High TWFK - (Custom Made according to Maodi)
Mid DTEC - (Custom Made (Maodi))
Low DTEC - (Sonion 3300 Custom Made (Maodi))

TF10x4 (UM)
High UELE (Sonion 2300 Custom (Maodi))
Mid ???
Low UEXXXE (Sonion 3300 Custom (Maodi))

SE530
High ???
Low DTEC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

E5C
High ED-23619-000
Low CI-22955-XXX

E3C
BK-28562-XXX

E4C

E1C
BK-28507-XXX

UM2
High ED-29689-XXX
Low CI-22955-XXX

ES2
High 29829
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER4a/b/p
ED-29689-XXX

Q-Jay
TWFK

ES3X/UM3X
High TWFK-30017
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER6i
Star Microsonic RBB

SF5 Pro
High UELOWE
Low UELHIE

TF10 Pro
Low UEXXXE (Sonion 3300 Custom (Maodi))

May 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #921 of 16,063

I just saw this post and wondering what should I need instead of the drivers and the shell?
what wire should i use for soldering and how should i should them right?
Can I use a shure e5c shell? or is there any other better choice?
(my jh10x3 have another tiny chip on the top instead of the 3 drivers, anyone know what that is?)

Quote:
Have just bought TF10x4 from one of the club member. Now finish reading 60+ pages plus waiting UM (and Maodi) to response, I'm not quite sure getting TF10x4 remolded is my answer or should I go for a fresh start.

Guys, Please correct me. I got this from somewhere but don't think this is 100% accurate. (MOD please delete if this is not appropriate)

My interests is in JH13 (many people said it's the best in the market by miles) / TF10x4 (what I have now - quite good already without remolding) / SE530 (many people praise for its good textured mids and this seems to be my cup of tea)

JH13Pro

TF10x4 (UM)
Mid ???

SE530
High ???
Low DTEC

E5C
High ED-23619-000
Low CI-22955-XXX

E3C
BK-28562-XXX

E4C

E1C
BK-28507-XXX

UM2
High ED-29689-XXX
Low CI-22955-XXX

ES2
High 29829
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER4a/b/p
ED-29689-XXX

Q-Jay
TWFK

ES3X/UM3X
High TWFK-30017
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER6i
Star Microsonic RBB

SF5 Pro
High UELOWE
Low UELHIE

TF10 Pro

May 29, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #922 of 16,063

Quote:

JH13Pro

TF10x4 (UM)
Mid ???

SE530
High ???
Low DTEC

E5C
High ED-23619-000
Low CI-22955-XXX

E3C
BK-28562-XXX

E4C

E1C
BK-28507-XXX

UM2
High ED-29689-XXX
Low CI-22955-XXX

ES2
High 29829
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER4a/b/p
ED-29689-XXX

Q-Jay
TWFK

ES3X/UM3X
High TWFK-30017
Low CI-22955-XXX

ER6i
Star Microsonic RBB

SF5 Pro
High UELOWE
Low UELHIE

TF10 Pro

Your list is rather accurate.
I thought about making such a list but I don't know if it was ok with manufacturers

SF5pro = propietrary Sonion 2000 lows and 2300 highs
SE530 = Sonion 3300 lows/mids and 2300 or 1700 highs

May 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #923 of 16,063

Quote:
I just saw this post and wondering what should I need instead of the drivers and the shell?
what wire should i use for soldering and how should i should them right?
Can I use a shure e5c shell? or is there any other better choice?
(my jh10x3 have another tiny chip on the top instead of the 3 drivers, anyone know what that is?)

Hi Normalife,
Apart from drivers selection and the shell, you would need very small wires, sound tubes, very skillful hands and good crossovers/filters selection.
You can use any shells as long as everything fits in but custom shell would be more beneficial. Or you could combine both - check this out

The tiny chip you mentioned in the 10x3 might be a small surface mount capacitor or resistor used as a simple crossover.

Quote:
Your list is rather accurate.
I thought about making such a list but I don't know if it was ok with manufacturers

SF5pro = propietrary Sonion 2000 lows and 2300 highs
SE530 = Sonion 3300 lows/mids and 2300 or 1700 highs

Hi piotrus-g,
I think it might be ok since we listed them just to get the picture and their drivers are often found to be proprietary ones anyway. I am curious though how different of them from the stock ones.
If your list is valid, then SE530 is almost identical to TF10. Should it be down to crossover/filter that make them sound so different?

I was not quite finish my first post yet. Just want to point out that can TWFK be advertised as a dual high driver instead of single high and single low? The point is that if the dual driver design significantly reduces the mechanical vibration with maximised output, it would be good for the sound reproduction and I want to use it for my high, mid and low. Unfortunately I can not find any dual high drivers yet. Anyone? 

May 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #924 of 16,063
SE530 use vented Sonion 3300 which alows to move more air and open up the sound, whilst TF10 use closed design. The rest is impednace/resistance SPL corssover points and passive filters, also sound bores (dual in TF10) and so on. Sometimes drivers differ in used motor inside the driver. So knowing series or even numbering of a driver can't really give you all information.

TWFK is good choice for dual high, however there's no use making 3xTWFK (lows,mids,highs)
There's dual ED driver, it's named EJ I believe. Though this one is big and will be extreme for highs i guess. IMHO there's no need putting dual highs. Drivers like ED or 2300 will make your highs sparkling and extended.
Typical design with TWFK as a dual high will include Sonion 3300 for lows and DTEC for mids.
You could use dual CI/2000 for lows and single 3300/DTEC for mids.

Westone ES5 has dual mids and dual high based on TWFK drivers

May 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #925 of 16,063
Ahh. that's very nice piece of information thank you. One thing to clarify is that on the post #267 in this thread Maodi said SE530 low driver is actually DTEC. Could this be changed from time to time as I suspect in JH13 inconsistency as well?

I might lead you wrong a bit I'm not intend to use 3xTWFK I mean 1 TWFK for high, other 2 dual drivers for mid and low which I don't know the name yet. But since I would not classify TWFK as a dual high driver, I might have to find something else. Maodi said something like TWFK would be good to 16k and UE700 high driver will be good thru 20k (what do they use in there then?) so there must be good high driver even the dual ones out there.

I'm agree with you I might not need dual high at the end of the day. The 2300 in my TF10x4 do their job quite well already. Almost match my full size can but I don't know, if there's any design that pushes through this boundary, I would use it to get pass my full size if possible.

So you reckon ED or EJ. I remember Maodi (nahh! again) said he likes ED29689 for the good textured mids(maybe he changes his mind already). You reckon these guys can go really high as well? Should I go for the fluid damped ones as well you reckon?

If it is down to you, what sort of high/mid/low driver you will use for your IEM?

Then we will discuss about drivers for low. Again, thanks a lot for your time and effort on this project :wink:

May 31, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #926 of 16,063
There're some changes made by IEM designers for example 1964Ears used to make triples and quads with Sonion and Knowles drivers (2000 and CI) interchangeably.
I'm 99% sure se530 have 3300

Yes, you can use TWFK drivers as a dual high. There're lot of companies that acuatlly use it this way - UM, JH or Westone.
Performance of a driver can be modified by its application. UE700 is based on TWFK driver. Driver is placed very close to end of sound bore. Sound bore has small ID and damper is probably low valued. That's why you can get well extened highs.
You can take a look on how close to eardrum JH places its TWFK and how far UM does. It changes peaks and overall response of the driver.

I believe you will not surpass full size headphones. IMHO it simply won't happen. Full size headphones always are giving you feel-like sound, because sound also travels through bones and outer ear. Something that none of custom will give you.
I'm not talking about clarity or separation though.

ED you mentioned is great driver. You can find it in ER4 so if you know what's the people's opinion on Etys I guess I don't have to say more :)

I haven't heard anything fluid damped maybe because it's special design for Hearing Aids. It has peakfree response but it doesn't mean good sound, though

If I were you I'd consider following:
3300 x2 (lows mids) TWFK (highs)
3300 x2 (lows mids) 2300 (highs)
3300 (lows) DTEC (mids) TWFK/2300 (highs)
3800/3700 (lows) CI/2000/3300/DTEC (mids) TWFK/2300 (highs)

There're lots of driver you can use in almost infinite configuration. You have to know what sound you expect. If you want big bass it's obvious I aren't going to use small driver for bass like 2300, TWFK or 3100

BTW. I've tried to get in touch with MaoDi some time ago, but he hasn't replied. Does any one know what's going on? I havn't also seen him on head-fi for about half-year now.

May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #927 of 16,063
I don't know. I would call TWFK a single high and single low, not dual high. I wonder what do they make use of the low driver in TWFK though or they just cross it out.

Anyway, you have very good eyes pointing out the port length/size and filters. I have a close look on JH13 pictures and yeah its high drivers are very close to the tip. Having a glance at JH5 pics and I can see a stock CI-22955 for lows as well. :wink:

I know it's same story asking for headphone's soundstage to match decent speakers. They might be as good as or even better in some other aspects.

I have heard treble lovers praise er4 but I am a little bit concerned.(which is why I asked previously) I have bought er6i from one of the club member who had both 6i and 4p. It was my first IEM and at that time it is very good, very flat and the micro details are very good. He told me 6i is almost at 4p. I saw the ety famous advertising graph and quite agree it's almost identical. I later compared 6i with my full size (AKG) and clearly see 6i has no treble details and extension. I think now you might get my point why I'm concerned about using ED as a tweeter.

So, from your preference, I might just need remolding then :D Do you have any idea what kind of mid driver UM put in their TF10x4 and what JH16 used for their double dual lows?

I googled this morning and found one Maodi who appears to be a korean or taiwanese star. No evidence to conclude he's the one though :X

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #928 of 16,063

Quote:
I don't know. I would call TWFK a single high and single low, not dual high. I wonder what do they make use of the low driver in TWFK though or they just cross it out.

Anyway, you have very good eyes pointing out the port length/size and filters. I have a close look on JH13 pictures and yeah its high drivers are very close to the tip. Having a glance at JH5 pics and I can see a stock CI-22955 for lows as well. :wink:

I know it's same story asking for headphone's soundstage to match decent speakers. They might be as good as or even better in some other aspects.

I have heard treble lovers praise er4 but I am a little bit concerned.(which is why I asked previously) I have bought er6i from one of the club member who had both 6i and 4p. It was my first IEM and at that time it is very good, very flat and the micro details are very good. He told me 6i is almost at 4p. I saw the ety famous advertising graph and quite agree it's almost identical. I later compared 6i with my full size (AKG) and clearly see 6i has no treble details and extension. I think now you might get my point why I'm concerned about using ED as a tweeter.

So, from your preference, I might just need remolding then :D Do you have any idea what kind of mid driver UM put in their TF10x4 and what JH16 used for their double dual lows?

I googled this morning and found one Maodi who appears to be a korean or taiwanese star. No evidence to conclude he's the one though :X

I thought MaoDi is like 17 years old, isn't he? MaoDi turning to be a star that would be something :D

Now I can see why are you afraid of ED drivers. I haven't heard ER4 but I did own ER6i. I consider it as more bass-lacking than highs. ER6 uses StarMicronics driver without spout so sound can be really different.
However, I heard HF2 (also ED) and they are still bright ety style but step ahead of ER6.
You may also be interested in Audeo's Sonion 2300. Audeo highs are one of the most extened out there.

If I were to guess TF10x4 have Sonion 3300 -lows (UE prop.) Sonion 2000/KA CI - mids Sonion 2300 (UE prop.) - highs. That's basiacly what UE11 is based on.
CI or 2000 is one of the most typical and best choices for mid driver due to it's smoothness
I really have no idea about JH16 I suppose 2x3300 or 2xDTEC but maybe they used some other drivers.

TWFKs' drivers wired in series will make them work as a one, won't they?

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #929 of 16,063
Yeah the age is match at least! That star guy was born in 90s something IIRC X)

When I first tried 6i I was almost shocked. No bass at all and everything didn't sound right. But then if you open your mouth plug and twist it deep (very deep infact or as deep as possible) enough to get a proper seal, it is the different story. I would describe 6i bass is more like a small bookshelf speakers. It's there but it's just not enough to compare with the system with subwoofer. To me, I find it's a bit lean too I wish it has more deep bass which will make it much more fun to listen to but it is acceptable.

From what I can see, this extra driver is big and chunky compared with 2300 and 3300 in that nutshells. It appears UM have added CI as an extra mid driver in their TF10x4. Maybe you are right.

My assumption is based on KA driver selection guide (I would rather call it an advertising guide) it says something like TWFK is FK driver with added tweeter. It didn't say FK driver with extend high frequency capability. So I assume it is not a true dual driver as the driver one side which is FK would be different from the other side which is an extra tweeter. So the mechanical vibration cancelation would be less than ideal.

See post #110 in this thread:-

Quote:
TWFK SERIES – Dual Balanced Armature Speaker 5.00 x 2.73 x 3.86 (mm)The world’s smallest dual balanced armature speaker, the TWFK is designed for pro-audio in-ear applications. Enables customized cross-over systems to achieve target frequency response in a package size smaller than the ED Series
•Single sound port for simplified earphone design
•Extreme wideband frequency response
•Unique woofer/tweeter combination
•Enables leading-edge earphone designs for size and performance

WBFK SERIES – Wideband Balanced Armature Speaker 5.00 x 2.73 x 1.93 (mm). Same package size as FK Series, WBFK has extended high frequency response. It is recommended as a high frequency component to be combined with low/midrange speaker for music earphones.
•Lower low/mid-band sensitivity compared to FK Series
Best high frequency response of any Knowles element
•Combine with low/mid-range speaker forextended frequency response
TWFK pairs WBFK with low frequency FK

FK SERIES – Balanced Armature Speaker 5.00 x 2.73 x 1.93 (mm). The world’s smallest balanced-armature speaker, the FK Series is designed for applications where size is the most important design concern.
•114dB SPL maximum output
•Two-terminal zero-bias configuration
•Undamped, screen damped, and internally damped responses
•Wide range of coil impedances

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #930 of 16,063
Maybe you have a point. In this case I'd recommend single drivers over TWFK. On my second thought I'm wondering how much driver vibrate at HF. I believe that driver is stable at high frequencies.
Also how UM, JH or Westone used TWFK as a dual high driver. Maybe FK is not that bad? I guess that FK as a wideband driver can work over 2kHz as well.

If you go back few pages where MaoDi shows his new customs, you'll find a description of dual (AFAIR) WBFK. He mentioned very extended, edgy highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back