Home-Made IEMs
Jun 3, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #9,166 of 16,107
Has anyone try to mimic the Apex module from 64 audio? It seems to be a venting hole with some sort of damping to a shares chamber. But I wonder how is that gonna work if they have separated sound tubes?

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #9,168 of 16,107
Here is my measurement.

Don't mind the absolute values as I have accidentally reduced the input volume of my measurement mic.

If you add some dampers you will flatten out the peak and get an immensely good sounding headphone. With Zobel it's a lot better than the GV.

Hi, I have found this incredible measurement, I have been trying for a long time to make a measuring equipment, but I was not able to do it, could help, what microphone you use to measure, which audio card and the program used in photo above, or if it is a proper equipment, I have long tried to do, could help my friend, I would be grateful

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #9,169 of 16,107
Hi, I have found this incredible measurement, I have been trying for a long time to make a measuring equipment, but I was not able to do it, could help, what microphone you use to measure, which audio card and the program used in photo above, or if it is a proper equipment, I have long tried to do, could help my friend, I would be grateful
I use an UMIK-1 calibrated USB microphone (~100€), a transparent PVC with 12mm ID from the garden shop and a 3D-printed adapter. The air volume inside the tube is calculated to be 2ccm. The software I use is room eq wizard, it's free and open source.

If you want to know more, search for 2cc coupler in this thread.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #9,170 of 16,107
Hi everyone, I finally make a RAB-p!
I decide to go with exact Zobel value, 4.6uf and 41ohm. It improved the sound so much.

Has anyone tried using 4.7uf and 39ohm instead? Because in order to get the exact values, I use 3 capacitors and 2 resistors. Hopefully can reduce to just 1 capacitor and 1 resistor.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #9,171 of 16,107
Thanks for the tips. It was the seal at the sound outlet that was causing thin bass. I use a regular shell for testing my setups. Shell is duplicated from KZ ZSR and adjusted a bit to better fit. I would glue the tubing at the sound outlet with UV glue to keep it in place and then cover remaining space with tacky material bought in office supplies (not sure how it is called in English). The same goes for the back side of the earphone. That way I get the full listening experience and can still easily break the setup and adjust something.

When it comes to 2xRAF I found it quite dark sounding. This is ok for some kinds of music, but I would prefer more open and articulate sound. I tried this setup with brown filter as well but there was not much of the change coming from green one.

I use brown damper near the BA.

It effects where you put the damper too.

Green for me was roll offed but not darker. It was smooth.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #9,172 of 16,107
Hi everyone, I would like to have a help, I am looking to buy a measuring device, can you tell if this equipment serves to measure as IEMs? , because it works from 250 hz to 8kz, because in several videos I see companies use something similar, as it apparently works, the device calls AudioScan RM500, someone can share their experience, and if it's worth buying this equipment?

Overkill setup but nice.
This is used for hearing aids

I use GRAS coupler for my hearing aids.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #9,173 of 16,107
I use an UMIK-1 calibrated USB microphone (~100€), a transparent PVC with 12mm ID from the garden shop and a 3D-printed adapter. The air volume inside the tube is calculated to be 2ccm. The software I use is room eq wizard, it's free and open source.

If you want to know more, search for 2cc coupler in this thread.

Thanks for the answer, I'm going to run behind to be able to buy this microphone, I'm very grateful to share your experience, would you like to ask another question, the microphone you use the program already recognize direct ?, the phone you connect in the handset output Do you hear the notebook's audio card? , do you need to program the room eq wizard program to let it work properly or does it work normally?

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #9,176 of 16,107
Thanks for the answer, I'm going to run behind to be able to buy this microphone, I'm very grateful to share your experience, would you like to ask another question, the microphone you use the program already recognize direct ?, the phone you connect in the handset output Do you hear the notebook's audio card? , do you need to program the room eq wizard program to let it work properly or does it work normally?
The microphone is a usb microphone, if you connect it it will show up as a normal sound input on your computer, just like any regular audio input device.

If you have room eq wizard running it will recognize the microphone and ask you for a calibration file. You can download the calibration file from the vendors website with the serial number of your device.

For the output you can use any headphone output of your computer. I use my dragonfly black usb DAC but you can also use your computers headphone out.

Roomeqwizard will generate the test tones and record from the microphone. This is how it can generate frequency response and impulse response graphs. RoomEqWizard can also generate an impedance graph, for that you do not need the microphone, just a headphone out, a line in and an impedance ‚jig‘ (basically some wiring and a resistor, schematics on their website). You can even let RoomEqWizard calculate the Thiele Small Parameter, although i have not yet tried if it produces meaningful values for IEM, as it is meant to be used for speakers.

Simulation is still on my to do list, but as you said: so much to learn. This is a very deep rabbit hole, but a rewarding one at that.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #9,177 of 16,107
Hi everyone, I finally make a RAB-p!
I decide to go with exact Zobel value, 4.6uf and 41ohm. It improved the sound so much.

Has anyone tried using 4.7uf and 39ohm instead? Because in order to get the exact values, I use 3 capacitors and 2 resistors. Hopefully can reduce to just 1 capacitor and 1 resistor.
I tried 39ohm, it's a bit too damped for my taste. I'm currently using 43ohm because I like my highs a bit sharper

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,178 of 16,107
The microphone is a usb microphone, if you connect it it will show up as a normal sound input on your computer, just like any regular audio input device.

If you have room eq wizard running it will recognize the microphone and ask you for a calibration file. You can download the calibration file from the vendors website with the serial number of your device.

For the output you can use any headphone output of your computer. I use my dragonfly black usb DAC but you can also use your computers headphone out.

Roomeqwizard will generate the test tones and record from the microphone. This is how it can generate frequency response and impulse response graphs. RoomEqWizard can also generate an impedance graph, for that you do not need the microphone, just a headphone out, a line in and an impedance ‚jig‘ (basically some wiring and a resistor, schematics on their website). You can even let RoomEqWizard calculate the Thiele Small Parameter, although i have not yet tried if it produces meaningful values for IEM, as it is meant to be used for speakers.

Simulation is still on my to do list, but as you said: so much to learn. This is a very deep rabbit hole, but a rewarding one at that.
As he said
@RAFAEL DOUGLAS MARTINS

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #9,180 of 16,107
You tried 4.6uf with 39ohm?
Which frequency does 4.6uf start to cut?
The issue ain't 4.6uF but 39ohms .
You can go with 4.6uF too.

But lower resistance means heavy damping which from capacitor which make treble lifeless.
More resistance means less roll off from capacitance and can also be used to increase treble. But please remain near the ideal value as the impedance can get weird by weird resistance values.

39ohms sound darker
41 ohms sounds like stock
43 ohms sound like viperaudio natural treble boost 3.5dB

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back