Home-Made IEMs
Jan 26, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #8,011 of 16,068
Knowles ED 29689

Circuit:
Series- 3ohm Panasonic resistor + 0.08 ohm Vishay Dale Resistor = 3.08ohms
Parallel- 0.6ohm Vishay Dale resistor + 0.07ohm Vishay Dale Resistor = 0.67ohms

It has to be arranged in L pad attenuation circuit

2mm and 3mm Dia Thicker wall tubing is needed

lenght of tubing 5mm(starting from nozzle of driver)
Damper is 1500ohm(Green) placed 2mm away from driver nozzle.

Starting with 3mm diameter tube with 2mm length, then 2mm diameter tube with 3mm length(damper inside this tube at intersection of 3mm and 2mm diameter tube intersection)

---------
--------------------
--------------------
---------

Knowles ED 30761

This driver is nozzle less
Have to use tweezers
2mm Dia Thicker wall tubing is needed

lenght of tubing 7mm(starting from driver)
Damper is 2200ohm(Red) placed 1.5mm away from driver nozzle.

Perfected Noble Savant. Less brittle treble and lower congestion.

I tried damping the ED29689 with 20 ohm like noble and saw weird treble issues.

The ED29689 needs 16.23dB attenuation which I converted in T-pad and L-pad, and finally went for L-pad as the sound difference was not that great and I was getting better Zo Value out of L-pad(exactly 3ohms from ED)

This setup damped the 2kHz and 3kHz from savant better(2dB) and smoother.

Mid range focus was more than Savant

Soundstage was improved

Treble was smoother in roll off in feel
Bass needs work

Zobel circuit would work but then need inductance value.

I dont know, when I tried RAF with Zobel, it not only dampens the treble, fix high rising impedance but also correct the phase shift in mids by a little and increase bass texture by huge amount.

Series notch filter, correctly implemented makes bass way faster too. I think, that brain is not focusing on peaks make us sensitive to bass plus distortion is lower too

Music used while testing this setup

Starlight Song by Hideyuki Fukasawa
Last Stardust by AiMER
Assassins creed 2, brotherhood and revelations OST
Symphony no.9

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #8,012 of 16,068
So I’ve been looking online and ordering BA driver but I don’t see any information on the forums for the website telling me the size of the nozzles in millimeters. And the dampeners also have the same info for the size with an upside down T.

Is this 2.08mm? I don’t see info PDF say millimeters nor do I know what the upside down T is.

I’d appreciate it if someone could give me a list of common sizes acoustical tubing I should buy and any other fittings.
33003403658_45ef939ecf_z_d.jpg

Thanks everyone.

What you are calling “upside down T” describes a range of measurements that reflect normal manufacturing variations/tolerances.

For example, a 14” pizza may have a size tolerance of +/- 0.5”. So some 14” pizzas could be as small as 13.5” or as big as 14.5” (or anywhere in between the min and max, like 14.2”, 13.9”, etc).

It looks like an “upside down T” because of the way it’s typically written on a blueprint or engineering document; ie a + sign located above a - sign. It can also be written like I did, with + sign followed by a slash, followed by a - sign (ie +/-).

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #8,013 of 16,068
Is there any place I can find lists of different popular IEMs listing the BA drivers and dampeners needed to build them myself?

Anything from JH would be great. I already have the 16V2 and Roxannes 2 so I know that I like the JH sound. Obviously something with so many drivers would be difficult for my first build. But it’s like to build something with 4-8 drivers if the build directions are easy to follow.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #8,014 of 16,068
Is there any place I can find lists of different popular IEMs listing the BA drivers and dampeners needed to build them myself?

Anything from JH would be great. I already have the 16V2 and Roxannes 2 so I know that I like the JH sound. Obviously something with so many drivers would be difficult for my first build. But it’s like to build something with 4-8 drivers if the build directions are easy to follow.
Here you go

IEM BA list

Well I will suggest that you can still achieve the IEM sound with less driver. You have to know the basic stuff right

I was trying to perfect Noble savant in above config.

Get the data, graphs, impedance and phase of the IEM you like.

Then start working on it.

Graphs can be variable but impedance and phase remains constant throughout. So by impedance and phase understanding, you will able to get the values of where the peak should be

And JH are OK(no offence) . I think you should try Spiral Ear SE5U or Sony IER Z1R.
Mind blown

More driver will only lead to more complexity.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #8,015 of 16,068
Here you go

IEM BA list

Well I will suggest that you can still achieve the IEM sound with less driver. You have to know the basic stuff right

I was trying to perfect Noble savant in above config.

Get the data, graphs, impedance and phase of the IEM you like.

Then start working on it.

Graphs can be variable but impedance and phase remains constant throughout. So by impedance and phase understanding, you will able to get the values of where the peak should be

And JH are OK(no offence) . I think you should try Spiral Ear SE5U or Sony IER Z1R.
Mind blown

More driver will only lead to more complexity.

Thank you for this list, it shows what I suspected for some time now: You can use pretty much any BA for bass or mid range or both. The only thing that matters is how it extends into treble to see whether you need to pair it with treble driver (and then it becomes important what you pair with what). Obviously, regular problems still exist - tubing, dampers, crossovers etc.

It also shows that neither Knowles nor Sonion designed BAs with the idea of HiFi Audio until about 10 years ago when they introduced treble focused drivers. In fact, it's only these drivers that couldn't be used as full range drivers (unless you used like... yellow? dampers, which would be crazy).

It shows one more interesting thing - there are a couple of IEMs that are using Bellsing drivers. I have Bellsing RAB driver and it is pretty much the same thing as Knowles RAF/RAB. It is similar price to RAF so there is no need for it but other Bellsing drivers are probably identical to Knowles' counterparts just way cheaper. This remains to be tested but it's a shame that everyone is ignoring Bellsing just because random budget IEMs are misusing their drivers (this goes for us, commercially I have no idea what the truth is - whether Bellsing is a standard case of stealing patents, why Knowles isn't suing them...)

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #8,016 of 16,068
Thank you for this list, it shows what I suspected for some time now: You can use pretty much any BA for bass or mid range or both. The only thing that matters is how it extends into treble to see whether you need to pair it with treble driver (and then it becomes important what you pair with what). Obviously, regular problems still exist - tubing, dampers, crossovers etc.

It also shows that neither Knowles nor Sonion designed BAs with the idea of HiFi Audio until about 10 years ago when they introduced treble focused drivers. In fact, it's only these drivers that couldn't be used as full range drivers (unless you used like... yellow? dampers, which would be crazy).

It shows one more interesting thing - there are a couple of IEMs that are using Bellsing drivers. I have Bellsing RAB driver and it is pretty much the same thing as Knowles RAF/RAB. It is similar price to RAF so there is no need for it but other Bellsing drivers are probably identical to Knowles' counterparts just way cheaper. This remains to be tested but it's a shame that everyone is ignoring Bellsing just because random budget IEMs are misusing their drivers (this goes for us, commercially I have no idea what the truth is - whether Bellsing is a standard case of stealing patents, why Knowles isn't suing them...)
Custom art piotrus-g didn't ignore it, in fact he said that those are good driver.

Even one more guy suggested for bellsing

I like Knowles RAF and DTEC31116 for complete paperwork compared to other drivers. I have so much more control on tuning compared to ED and conventional CI.

Bellsing doesn't do complete paperwork like VOice coil inductance, saturation, phase and impedance graphs etc

I have used bellsing CI, and its good

But for bellsing to get into that hype train

They have to improve on
1. Higher technical performance
2. More paperwork for user

While keeping price same

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #8,018 of 16,068
My post did not have the photo I intended to upload :frowning2:

Anyway, here are my works.

50936747_2365060233506722_3160265811461931008_n.jpg

50647970_2363623456983733_4170015560509161472_n.jpg

50605821_2362768887069190_5235312392178499584_n.jpg

These are made from medical grade acrylic :)

Those look really nice!

Where did you get the acrylic material?

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #8,020 of 16,068
My post did not have the photo I intended to upload :frowning2:

Anyway, here are my works.

50936747_2365060233506722_3160265811461931008_n.jpg

50647970_2363623456983733_4170015560509161472_n.jpg

50605821_2362768887069190_5235312392178499584_n.jpg

These are made from medical grade acrylic :)
Well how did you get the universal mould

You mentioned it was from KZ iem(modified). But even if I trace it back on design route, I dont see KZ influence lol.

Actually I am in need of customised universal shell,I know the procedure of negative moulding etc, but due to some good fortune, I actually got SLA and DLP printer access, so I won't be messing everything

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #8,021 of 16,068
Those look great!!

For those who are interested in Bellsing drivers, it looks like in addition to the five driver cluster, they now have a six. They've used some variant of a VTEC for the LF instead of a Cl.

Attachments

• F453FC64-E491-424B-871F-2E5FB5CCD2C8.png
    F453FC64-E491-424B-871F-2E5FB5CCD2C8.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #8,022 of 16,068
Well how did you get the universal mould

You mentioned it was from KZ iem(modified). But even if I trace it back on design route, I dont see KZ influence lol.

Actually I am in need of customised universal shell,I know the procedure of negative moulding etc, but due to some good fortune, I actually got SLA and DLP printer access, so I won't be messing everything

Really? I just upscaled it a little bit. Here is the original modified IEM master mold I use.

Wow you are really lucky. Design something with CAD!
49192712_2327304443948968_2505613749310717952_n.jpg

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #8,023 of 16,068
For those who are interested in Bellsing drivers, it looks like in addition to the five driver cluster, they now have a six. They've used some variant of a VTEC for the LF instead of a Cl.
Thank you very much! I did not like the Bellsing 5-way very much. It sounded ok but it did not sound nearly as good as the Knowles GV. Did you already try the Bellsing 6?

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #8,025 of 16,068
Those look great!!

Thank you very much! I did not like the Bellsing 5-way very much. It sounded ok but it did not sound nearly as good as the Knowles GV. Did you already try the Bellsing 6?
I have not tried the 6. I bought a pair of the 5s, but they are still sitting in one of my project drawers. I've been busy. Agreed about the GV. That's a really nice combination.

Check the impedance graph....it looks weird as hell

We won't be able to calculate exact DC resistance average. Amp loading would be an issue. Please do check before going with combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back