Home-Made IEMs
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #7,501 of 15,989
I did something dumb.

I wanted to make my own custom tips for a generic gym iem, playing around with those ear mold crap you can get on ebay for diy earplugs

Anyways I tried sticking the iem in it in my ear to mold the outside of the iem lol like an idiot.

Well it didn't work out, but I managed to get some of the mold solution on the grill bore of the iem and slightly behind it now that it has hardened

How do I get the behind the grill and in the grill solution out?

A vacuum of sorts? Or what? damn. I deserve it

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7,502 of 15,989
I did something dumb.

I wanted to make my own custom tips for a generic gym iem, playing around with those ear mold crap you can get on ebay for diy earplugs

Anyways I tried sticking the iem in it in my ear to mold the outside of the iem lol like an idiot.

Well it didn't work out, but I managed to get some of the mold solution on the grill bore of the iem and slightly behind it now that it has hardened

How do I get the behind the grill and in the grill solution out?

A vacuum of sorts? Or what? damn. I deserve it

I clean my IEMs/CIEMs every so often with a Jodi Vac

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #7,503 of 15,989
Did a big no no, because I'm an idiot. I got one of those diy ear plugs you mix and shove in your ear. Then I put the iem inside it while it was fresh and now there is cured ear plug mold behind the grill in my iem

I probably deserved it.

I can't Sent it in.

Please help, jodi vac barely worked. How do I take the grill off? Or what now? Is there a liquid I can put the tip of the iem in to break down the hardened ear plug mold and then remove?

20180620_163922.jpg
20180620_164004.jpg

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #7,504 of 15,989
Either take the grill out or pierce the silicone/foam with a thin needle (use a magnifying glass haha).although the particles will probably be trapped between the grill and driver, I doubt it will cause much issues soundwise once removed. but who knows....

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #7,505 of 15,989
Did a big no no, because I'm an idiot. I got one of those diy ear plugs you mix and shove in your ear. Then I put the iem inside it while it was fresh and now there is cured ear plug mold behind the grill in my iem

I probably deserved it.

I can't Sent it in.

Please help, jodi vac barely worked. How do I take the grill off? Or what now? Is there a liquid I can put the tip of the iem in to break down the hardened ear plug mold and then remove?

You might be able to use hydrogen peroxide to soften it. My only concern is that it would bubble, and I'm not sure how well your BA drivers would like that. You might be able to just swab it with a q tip with a bit on there though.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #7,506 of 15,989
During one of my ramblings a c worker told me that The wizard's creations looked a lot like nail art done via "Water marble". This got me thinking and looking around at how to do hydro dipping. I figured that as long as you do a little sanding to get the overall size of the IEM down, you might be able to get away with a hydro dip and a layer of Lak3 over the top. Has anyone tried anything like this? What paint/ nail polish do you think would be thin enough in consistency to get a good design without thickening the shell too much. I'm planning on doing some experimenting with this and seeing if I can come out with anything cool. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #7,507 of 15,989
Does anybody has the problem with Dreve Fotoplast and alcohol ink? There are two problems. First one - curing time. It is almost impossible to get a faceplate with decent thickness. Could It be a problem with curing unit (just two nail lamps connected into one, curing time of clear Fotoplast is around 80sec, no problem with good wall thickness)? Second one is visible at the photo below. After curing the shell coloured with alcohol ink in shadow (upper shells) colour is great (left side - Crimson, right side - Amethyst). But when shells are illuminated with sun or some light there is strange pinkish/orangish shadow (shells at the bottom). Looks really not good.

Zrzut_ekranu_2018_06_14_o_23_24_31.png

The most surprising thing is that Shiloshjustice uses the same colour (Amethyst) with a great results. What are your proportions, curing time and curing unit or some protips working with Fotoplast and alkohol inks?

Have to repeat this question. Anybody knows the answer? It is pretty big issue for me - hard to get good looking transparent colour shell without this ugly blurs.

Also, below there is the picture (best quality I found) of inks that JH Audio uses. Anybody knows these dyes? Cheers!

Zrzut_ekranu_2018_06_22_o_01_07_33.png

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #7,508 of 15,989
Have to repeat this question. Anybody knows the answer? It is pretty big issue for me - hard to get good looking transparent colour shell without this ugly blurs.

Also, below there is the picture (best quality I found) of inks that JH Audio uses. Anybody knows these dyes? Cheers!

Zrzut_ekranu_2018_06_22_o_01_07_33.png
I have been using resin obsession with awesome results. They are resin based so they mix perfectly and they yield consistent and beautiful color. Their ebay shop can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/usr/resinobsession?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #7,509 of 15,989
Anyone know how can I prevent my shells surface to become rough? like with tiny small bubbles.. I'm using dreve fotoplast, and already tried gelatin and agar for the negative. After the first cure I'm pouring the excess and filling with glycerin to cure again, then I'm doing the final cure emerging my shell in glycerin. Any tips?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #7,513 of 15,989
Don't forget to post those shiny results here!
Shure I will! Already placed the order. Thank you for your help!
The results will be in 2-3 weeks. Does anybody has a solution for my problem with alcohol ink?

Anyone know how can I prevent my shells surface to become rough? like with tiny small bubbles.. I'm using dreve fotoplast, and already tried gelatin and agar for the negative. After the first cure I'm pouring the excess and filling with glycerin to cure again, then I'm doing the final cure emerging my shell in glycerin. Any tips?

Did you use wax? Is impression after pouring agar material covered with sticked bubbles? The proper procedure was described in this thread dozen times - everything matters. Do not pour glycerin inside the shell after first cure. Flip the cast upside down and cure it again. Then carefully take the shell out (do not touch the inner surface of the shell) and dip it in glycerin - then cure again. Hope it will help you!

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #7,514 of 15,989
During one of my ramblings a c worker told me that The wizard's creations looked a lot like nail art done via "Water marble". This got me thinking and looking around at how to do hydro dipping. I figured that as long as you do a little sanding to get the overall size of the IEM down, you might be able to get away with a hydro dip and a layer of Lak3 over the top. Has anyone tried anything like this? What paint/ nail polish do you think would be thin enough in consistency to get a good design without thickening the shell too much. I'm planning on doing some experimenting with this and seeing if I can come out with anything cool. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Yes search this thread people have done it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back