Home-Made IEMs
Jan 29, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #5,866 of 16,077
Thanks guys, let.s hope it.s available in europe, also.
I wold have bought the pigment from egger themselves, but they have only the basic colours( R G B Y), and if you need white, for example, you have to mix it up yourself.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #5,867 of 16,077
Hello all, I just wanted to share some of the latest techniques I have been doing to create great colorful shells. Some are sparkles, some have an oil spill look, some have a color run look. The two shells below I did just to post on here. This technique is coloring the inside of the shell as opposed to the exterior. Why? Well I'm using clear fotoplast to make a nice hollow shell, I know it's safe for skin and extremely durable, it's also makes for a superior high gloss look making the colors extremely vibrant.

If you haven't made the rotator yet, you need to!! It's a game changer, and will help all those who use Laquer on there shells. It rotates and provides a great even perfect coating on the shell. I made mine for $9.00, I posted it several pages back and it will take your builds to the next level. It just so happens it works great for the technique I'm currently doing with specialized shells that have funky colors or glitter.

Here is a pic of my home made rotator;

For the shells in this example I used nail polish (coating the interior of the shell);

Here are the results;

As you can see they look pretty cool. The blue shell looks cool because it has an oil spill look and goes from purple to blue in different lighting.

Steps
1. Coat the inside of the shell.
2. Let it rotate until its dry, some dry writhing 10min, some longer depending on how thick a coat. You can always coat let dry then coat again.
3. Polish the shell or coat with Laquer.
4. Look in amazement at what you created.

Also works wonders on solid colors, check out these black shells done with the same technique;

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #5,868 of 16,077
Daaamn!!those shells look real good!

I seem to have missed your posts about the rotato, can you please point it out ?
I made myself one, but i still don.t like the grip from the alligator clips i found, they have an "agressive grip" and i am afraid that the shell will crack.Do you use your rotating motor just for laquering?

I use a cylinder motor with reductor, that goes to about 10 rpm.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #5,869 of 16,077
Daaamn!!those shells look real good!

I seem to have missed your posts about the rotato, can you please point it out ?
I made myself one, but i still don.t like the grip from the alligator clips i found, they have an "agressive grip" and i am afraid that the shell will crack.Do you use your rotating motor just for laquering?

I use a cylinder motor with reductor, that goes to about 10 rpm.

Link below, I did modify it a bit by putting an inline switch. I scrapped the turntable part because of my current UV setup. The clip I used was from a helping hand soldering arm. I put heatshrink on the barrel of the motor and a toothpick in the back of the clip so it just slides in. Works great! Same motor as the expensive rotary units.

DIY Rotator

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5,871 of 16,077
How do you laqueur your shells?with a brush, or do you dip them?

I use both techniques, depending on what I am trying to accomplish. If they are colored shells And it warrants Laquer I will dip them. I usually will drill the first hole for the tubes and dip straight down, drilling first ensures the air exits as you dip. I will use Laquer to build up sometimes if the fit is not right so in this instances I use the brush. Small shells I may just use the brush.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #5,872 of 16,077
  This is mine, but i made this a universal

Not perfect but I will try to improve on my next built.

Here is the frequency response graph, left and right have a slight imbalance but very difficult to detect by ear.

Great work

How have you made this universal shell? Is it pre-made? Did you use a one ready made as a mold?
Have you bought those ready made UE stickers?
What driver did you use?

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #5,874 of 16,077

Hello all, I just wanted to share some of the latest techniques I have been doing to create great colorful shells. Some are sparkles, some have an oil spill look, some have a color run look. The two shells below I did just to post on here. This technique is coloring the inside of the shell as opposed to the exterior. Why? Well I'm using clear fotoplast to make a nice hollow shell, I know it's safe for skin and extremely durable, it's also makes for a superior high gloss look making the colors extremely vibrant.

If you haven't made the rotator yet, you need to!! It's a game changer, and will help all those who use Laquer on there shells. It rotates and provides a great even perfect coating on the shell. I made mine for $9.00, I posted it several pages back and it will take your builds to the next level. It just so happens it works great for the technique I'm currently doing with specialized shells that have funky colors or glitter.

Here is a pic of my home made rotator;

For the shells in this example I used nail polish (coating the interior of the shell);

Here are the results;

As you can see they look pretty cool. The blue shell looks cool because it has an oil spill look and goes from purple to blue in different lighting.

Steps
1. Coat the inside of the shell.
2. Let it rotate until its dry, some dry writhing 10min, some longer depending on how thick a coat. You can always coat let dry then coat again.
3. Polish the shell or coat with Laquer.
4. Look in amazement at what you created.

Also works wonders on solid colors, check out these black shells done with the same technique;

Someone won't be happy when they discover their nail polish gone 
wink.gif

That blue shell is gorgeous.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5,878 of 16,077
Hi all, 

I am frequent reader of this thread and read many pages of it. 

Maybe I haven't seen it but is there any effort to get better organised? It looks like quite a few folks (including myself) attempting and succeeding to construct their own IEMs. 

A more organise effort could make this significantly easier and a lot cheaper. For example other DIY groups set up group buys for parts and set up specific WIKIs etc.

I see many activities where better collaboration and organisation could help
- advice / tutorials
- sourcing parts
- group buys
- development and exchange of design files (e.g. 3D printed shells etc). 
- joint community designs
- organised / reproducible testing and data-based improvement

I believe there are lots of folks out there with sufficient knowledge and experience around to create a community IEM kits with zero development and overhead cost and reduced, lowest possible COGs for everyone to assemble at home.  

Anyone interested in this? PM me.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #5,879 of 16,077
[ATTACHMENT=4077]IMG_1530.JPG (1,721k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4078]IMG_1529.JPG (1,881k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4079][ATTACHMENT=4080]IMG_1531.JPG (1,638k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4081]IMG_1532.JPG (1,730k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4082]IMG_1528.JPG (1,370k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Just finished tuning my curing unit woth some blue leds.
Works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back