Home-Made IEMs
Oct 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #226 of 16,068
Quote:

Hey Bill, could you upload high res/closeup pics of the um3x's internals? And when you say 680ohm filter are you talking about a physical filter or an electronic one? I'm having a hard time understanding how it could have a 680 ohm filter(electronically that is).

My computer died, which is why I've been away for as long as I have. I'm still updating items on my new computer. As quickly as I can, I'll post pics of the UM3X drivers. Brace yourself for a surprisingly unsurprising experience. Except for the crossover (which is a tiny resistor/cap attached to the TWFK), you're looking at our familiar TWFK/CI-22955 combo.

As for the filter, I share the headscratching about ohms, but that's how they rate the effectiveness of mechanical/cloth filters. Here they are at Microsonic 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 - Knowles Acoustic Dampers

White = 680 ohms
Brown = 1000 ohms
Green = 1500 ohms
Red = 2200 ohms
Orange = 3300 ohms
Yellow = 4700 ohms

As the Ohm is the standard unit measuring electrical impedence, it's odd to find it used with a cloth filter, especially where the effect of the latter is to simply screen out certain frequencies - which is does mechanically, not electrically. That, however, is how the game is played. I didn't invent the rules. Like you, I just chuckle at them.

When it comes to sound signature, the best way to know what you're getting is to listen for yourself. I don't know how you'd factor in these numbers. This combination of electronic and mechanical factors in producing a final sound is something that has been described as being as much art as science. On the other hand, the exciting news is that most of the sound sculpting is done with cloth filters, which can be swapped in and out. If you don't like the sound of your UM3X or SE530 or ER4P or HF10, you can change it. You don't have to wait for a manufacturer to get around to meeting your needs. THAT'S what I call customizing.

Quote:

what can you recommend if i want foward vocals? more mid? btw can we configure TWFK as mids?

The TWFK is a wide-range driver with amazingly flat response throughout. It doesn't emphasize any bandwidth, which is why you'd want an additional driver if you want killer bass, but this driver is no slouch when it comes to representing mids. I'd think that the best driver choice would be the one with the flattest response overall. The TWFK is an expensive driver and well worth it. I wouldn't use a different driver for mids unless I had a need to spike the mids, which I don't.

Quote:

Hey, it might have been addressed, but where are you getting the cables and what kind? I saw one post with Westone's cable, but wondered about alternatives. I'm really interested in a project like this, and perhaps scavenging cases and other parts to load with custom internals to tweak, and maybe to replace the cables on my e3 one day.

There are several ways you can go with cables. Westone and Ultimate Ears both sell stock replacement cables on their websites. Westone gives you one version while Ultimate Ears has higher and lower versions. You can also make your own cables, using 28 UAW wire, though it's more work, doesn't look as nice and still requires you to come up with connectors.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #227 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnighttown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mao? fed or ed? whats their difference?

The FED is just a better version of the ED series, it features ferrofluid technology which dampens peak frequencies, reduces damage from shock by 90%, and prevents the clogging of debris in the driver.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #228 of 16,068
Hi guys this is my first post on head-fi so hello,

Anyways, I've read this thread and thought that I may add my word.
So basically I was wondering about making my own IEM's a year ago. So I've ordered some samples from Knowles and Star Micronics. I recieved a pair of TWFK-30017-000, a pair of WBHC-23910-000 and a lot (6 or 8) transducers from Star Micronics (generally the one used in ER6i) everything came to me shipped via ems overnight for free of course
biggrin.gif

I've also hit on an idea to put driver in comply foam, but I couldn't get a proper isolation.
After few tries I gave up as I couldn't found a case for drivers, but now I found this thread. So I think I'll give a shot and try to make something with my drivers and post some photos.
Actually I've thought about closing drivers in custom piece. I'll see what I can do with that. But first I'll try to put TWFK and WBHC together and maybe try adding a resistor as a "cross-over".
I'll post results soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #229 of 16,068
I've been working on pairing and finding a good combo for drivers in the past months. I have finally decided on two designs, unfortunately 4 of the 5 drivers in both models can't be purchased as they are custom drivers from Shure, Jays and Ultimate Ears. The remaining driver is the CI22955 in both. I'm getting UM to put everything in Custom Shells. So i'll get back to everyone when they are finally done, which may be in about a month or so.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #230 of 16,068
So, It turned out that there is place in my city where I can make full custom shells for about $50. I'll check it since I want custom tips for my Audeo PFE. Maybe I'll give them my drivers to make customs for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #231 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, It turned out that there is place in my city where I can make full custom shells for about $50. I'll check it since I want custom tips for my Audeo PFE. Maybe I'll give them my drivers to make customs for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Just because you know how to make shells doesn't mean you know how to make the insides
wink.gif
better to leave the drivers to yourself or someone experienced. If you screw up, then you wouldn't blame anyone, and if you get a experienced person to do it. You know it'll be great =)

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #232 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you know how to make shells doesn't mean you know how to make the insides
wink.gif
=)

Yes, that's true, but I doubt if I'll be able to do it right. "Practice makes perfect".
Anyway as you say, if i screw I wouldn't blame anyone...

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #233 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's true, but I doubt if I'll be able to do it right. "Practice makes perfect".
Anyway as you say, if i screw I wouldn't blame anyone...

You also get to do EXACTLY what you want to do...unfortunately i can't do my designs myself as i need crossovers and some professional equipment for tuning, which i don't have to check the monitors with or tune it with. So i sent my drivers to Unique Melody to have them put it together for me. Let's hope it doesn't take too long =)

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #234 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also get to do EXACTLY what you want to do...unfortunately i can't do my designs myself as i need crossovers and some professional equipment for tuning, which i don't have to check the monitors with or tune it with. So i sent my drivers to Unique Melody to have them put it together for me. Let's hope it doesn't take too long =)

I thought about simple "crossover" by using capacitors. So what kind of other professional equipment do you need for tuning? I'm going to tune them using my ears
biggrin.gif
but of course placing drivers in the same position and distance in each ear piece.
I can also ask Null-Audio or other company to put the earphone thogether but as far as I thought we're making IEM DIY.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #235 of 16,068
So I made simple form (tube) from hot glue. Then I driled it and placed TWFK driver in it. I was just about to put a sillicone sleeve on when I heard a small crack, then I heard another and to my surprise I found TWFK board (this one with connectors) broken beacuse of force from soldered cables... Actually I can fix the driver but it'll probably take few hours, 'cause of really small size of this stuff.

As I found out TWFK is open-back driver, so I dunno how it works with closed designs.

I'm happy that I didn't pay for the drivers otherway I'd mad
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #236 of 16,068
Hey i have been on the forums a while and ventured into this diy thread, very interesting what your trying to achieve.

Anyway billavideo and Moa Di i admire your work and if you need any advise on wiring the drivers (Twfk) etc then just ask. Are you aware that you can optimize the twfk for mids / highs or a great all rounder just by the way you solder it.

Also which acoustic filters did you find best for dampening the midrange spikes of the CI driver I like the 680 (white) filter for twfk but only have access to green(1500ohm) filters for bass.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #237 of 16,068
Dan, as far as I know ACS made their customs from sillicone. So I've got a question: do you leave a space behind a driver, if it's open like twfk? or you just sink it in sillicone making them to work as a closed driver?
Also I'd like to ask you about cross-over in twfk. It has on board cross-over, am I right? So what's the point of wiring twfk in the way that Westone does in their W3.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #238 of 16,068
Westone does their own crossover because it allows them to control where the frequency split is, so instead of using the standard crossover on the TWFK they use they own. Also, i believe that not all TWFK has the crossover?

I'm working on a Six driver custom monitor consisting of very similar drivers to the JH13. I have two designs going with Knowles drivers for one and Sonion drivers for the other. Trying to get my hands on the drivers right now.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #239 of 16,068
Hey yeah all our moulds are made in silicone and the drivers are "closed off" when we backfill our monitors.

As for the crossover i think their is alot of false advertising with crossovers and indeed drivers the "on board" crossover on the TWFK is just a link wire across the two negative terminals what you do with the positive terminals makes the difference as one side of the driver is mids other highs.

Westone's approach seems good which is similar to what we are working on at the moment (cant say too much) a true crossover consisting of capacitors of different values and resistors which as moadi said splits the frequency / shapes it to the right driver/s.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #240 of 16,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan@ACS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey yeah all our moulds are made in silicone and the drivers are "closed off" when we backfill our monitors.

As for the crossover i think their is alot of false advertising with crossovers and indeed drivers the "on board" crossover on the TWFK is just a link wire across the two negative terminals what you do with the positive terminals makes the difference as one side of the driver is mids other highs.

Westone's approach seems good which is similar to what we are working on at the moment (cant say too much) a true crossover consisting of capacitors of different values and resistors which as moadi said splits the frequency / shapes it to the right driver/s.

So meaning the crossover in the new iem acs is coming out with is different from the T1 which i'm using right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back