Home-made DT770 mod
Nov 13, 2005 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
First, the problem:
I recently bought a Darth Beyer DT770 from Headphile, because I couldn't stand the fatigue of the Sony V6's I still had after selling my R10's. I also bought a Grado 325i for home use. The 325i has the musicallity and slam I wanted - it could use more low end for my taste though, and since I have to have a pair of closed phones for work, I still needed the Beyers. However after getting the Beyer's, I was dissapointed. The mid-range and treble were too recessed and the bass was so woolly and boomy, I was getting bass fatigue rather than the treble fatigue of the V6's. After two weeks of trying to like the Beyer's, I felt resigned to sell them and try an IEM like the Westone ES2. However, after realizing how ridiculously small changes like different pads on the Grado's significantly change the sound (I think reversed Todd-flats sound the best), I thought I could do something simliar to the Beyers.

The solution:
I cut a 7 and 1/8 inch piece of 1/2 inch diameter rope. A soft rope of course. Took a small 3mm strip of duct tape to wrap each end so that it wouldn't fray. And lined the inside of the ear cups of the Beyers. There's a natural gap they just fit in, which is where I think the boominess comes from. After doing this, the bass tightned up and the mids were brought up to have a great balance with the bass. Wow. Before doing this, there wasn't a lot of interest in listening, and the boominess made me want to take them off, but now I listened to song after song and couldn't stop listening to the whole song! It was fun! It has musicallity! And no fatigue! Yeah!

Admittedly, I still would like a little more detail, and a little more mid and treble energy, but this sounds great!

No, having the ropes in do not affect the comfort for me - I barely notice it.

I am listening through an ESound CD-E5 and Melos SHA-Gold at home and Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and work.

-bdh

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 21
I have some pics, I just can't seem to upload more than 25K so I'm looking for someone to upload them for me.

I just got some boat anchor rope from Home Depot. It is white and very soft.

-bdh

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 21
ae9a024926bx.jpg

ae9a02516xf.jpg

Not sure how to correctly post these links yet.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 21
I didn't know you could get bass fatigue... I have a pair of Darth Beyer DT770/80s and I think the bass is perfect.
basshead.gif

IMO the Sony V6s don't even compare, and the 325i's, while probably having better highs and comparable mids, are decidedly inferior in their production of bass, sound staging, and overall sound... I personally find the 325i's quite shrill and very fatiguing…

How long did you burn them in for? As far as I am concerned, if you have ever owned a pair of 770/80s that pretty much ends the debate on whether or not "burning in" headphones actually does something or not... After about 30-40+ hours they turn into completely different headphones. When I first got mine the bass was quite overpowering and the highs/mids sounded very strange indeed.

I'm sure the mod does what you say it does but I can't help but think that kind of defeats the point of these headphones... Doesn't the rope just interfere with the functioning of the drivers / muffle the sound?

I guess what is important is that you enjoy the sound of the headphones, but that is certainly not something I would do or recommend; I guess there is no harm in trying it out if you feel so inclined.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh
However, after realizing how ridiculously small changes like different pads on the Grado's significantly change the sound (I think reversed Todd-flats sound the best), I thought I could do something simliar to the Beyers.

What the hell are reversed Todd-flats? I think you either mean reversed HD414 pads, or just Todd-flats. I cannot think how on earth you could mount the flats 'reversed'. Well unless you opened up the hole with the slits in it...but anyone willing to cut up a $30 pair of foam pads has some serious ballz!

Interesting work with the rope though. Definately a cost effective mod.
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 21
I definately had fatigue after just a little bit of listening before my mod, and now I have none. And no, it doesn't interfere or muffle the sound, to me it unmuffles the sound by tightened the bass without diminishing it, and it brought up the mids to be more balanced. They are definitely more fun for me now, and very different from the fun Grado - one can be a tad too bright and one a tad too bass heavy.

When I ordered my 325i from Todd, I also ordered the Todd flats. If I put them on normal, it beafs up the bass, but diminishes the upper frequencies too much for me. But if I just put them on backwards, it the least comfortable, the sounds a little bit better than normal bowls. No I don't cut them or anything -- there is a hole in both sides of mine.

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh
When I ordered my 325i from Todd, I also ordered the Todd flats. If I put them on normal, it beafs up the bass, but diminishes the upper frequencies too much for me. But if I just put them on backwards, it the least comfortable, the sounds a little bit better than normal bowls. No I don't cut them or anything -- there is a hole in both sides of mine.

ya, but the hole on the 'ear side' is smaller than the diameter of their headphone housings. I guess it stretches. Weird, you must be the only one using the flats this way.

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 21
and people keep telling me mods like this make no difference. try running 3 or mods at once! you can make $200 cans into $600 cans if you figure it out.

as for the rope, if it is synthetic(it looks it) wave a lighter around it keeping the flame about 2 inches away from the rope. for like 2 to 3 seconds on each side. now it won't need the tape nor will it unravel! thats only if it is synthetic(nylon,etc.). don't hold the flame there to long or it will turn black.
and don't burn yourself!

music_man.

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
and people keep telling me mods like this make no difference.

NEVER let someone (other than you), convince you what your ears hear and what your brain perceives. Oppinions are just that, nothing more.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back