Home/local sourced acoustic damping materal?
May 9, 2021 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fefrie

New Head-Fier
I've built an earphone that uses comply t100 tips (smallest core=no pressure spots for small ears) and the small round Knowles sr 32453 driver. It has 10mm x 1.5mm ID tubing, and on a test build with no filter, it actually works well, but as expected, it's too bright for my tastes.

This was about as expected as most builds I read of using this driver put in an acoustic damper. Usually white 680ohms. (3mm from from driver in a 10mm x 2mm ID tube.

The dampers that Knowles have have an ODof 2mm, and asides from the fact that my ID is 1.5mm which will introduce a lot of variability as to what would actually work, the OD adds a thickness and bulk to the 1.5mm ID that I could squeeze it into, but the overall added OD of the damper, and the thickness of the tubing creates fitment problems with the T100 foam tips I use. The next size up in tips causes fitment problems if I wear for long periods of time.

Knowles also sells a 1.12mmdia damper, but that's a bit narrow (although they look like they're badminton shuttlecocks so looks like they can sqeeze fit). I could do that, but it needs a special tool

The front volume in front of the vent is shaped like a cone, which transitions from the 6mm OD of the driver to a 1.5mm dia in approx 2mm and the 1.5mm dia inner volume continues for the remainder of the 10mm length of the tubing.

The 'throw money at it' solution is to just buy a lot of dampers, but for a $15 driver, that's about $30 in dampers.

Is there any hacked/diy materials I can use?

I've heard of people using (although not appropriate for my build) micropore tape for sibilant KZ builds, or kitchen sponge materials.

I'm thinking of yarn, thin upholstery thread, polyester fleece.

I could probably think of alternate materials, but I've never physically examined dampers, so I can't think of analogs. They're of a tighly woven fabric which the closest I can't think of resembles outdoor patio fabric furniture, judiging by the closeup of the pictures.

I have a thin hole punch. So I can even make thin dia cores of earplug material.

May 9, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Well I made do with some polyester fleece fabric that I scrounged around the house.

The ends of the tube is a bit flared (10deg?), so it formed a cup/wedge of sorts, and started with a small mass/ball of fleece fabric/lint.

Well it definitely muffled down the harsh trebles. And the sound was muffled, mono and boomy. Definitely a smaller soundstage, and definitely quieter.

So I would take out the fabric, and trim/yank off a bit more fluff, and lightly pack it back in to the same level so that the compression would be reduced as more material was removed.

As I progressed, the boominess reduced, and the treble comes back. So it seems like dampers act as a very crude treble/bass balance.

At this point I have something that is quite punchy, as enough treble without being too sibilant (actually probably still damped a bit too much), but a lot of the soundstage hasn't seemed to come back. It definitely seems more mono and narrow.

Too many variables to account for, but probably one of the problems is the fact that the material is placed at the end of the tube, instead of closer to the driver vent.

Still testing, removing tiny bits of fluff and getting the brightness back.

Not a perfect solution, but better this than to have bought all the acoustic dampers and come up with a less tunable result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back