Home Headphones <$100
Apr 10, 2004 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
I really like my Shure E2s for using at school and when travelling but they're a bit of an annoyance to use around the house. Taking them out to talk to people or when I have to go do something is a bit of a pain. So I'm interested in some full-size headphones I can use around the house. They can be closed or open, I don't need isolation at all. They need to be comfortable enough that I can use them for a couple hours at a time. So far I'm considering the following:

Grado SR-60
Sennheiser HD-280 pro
Sennheiser HD-515
Sony V6
Audio-Technica ATH-A500

I listen mainly to rap, pop and rock. I don't want to spend much more than $100 and can't afford an amp at the moment. Source is a Rio Karma encoded w/ FLAC so whatever headphones I get will have to be able to be driven straight from it. If y'all have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 19
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
AKG 240 Studio

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 19
alessandro ms-1
$99

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 19
ms1 is a good choice. you can also find used sr125 for about a hundred. grados are pretty easy to drive with most sources, and since they're open, you won't have a problem hearing people at home. grados are also great for rock/pop

i would not recommend the hd280 since they're hard to drive out of a portable and aren't the best for pop/rock IMHO.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 19
Yup, in your shoes I'd be choosing between MS-1s, A500s, and the K240S as well.

MS-1s probably won't be as comfortable as the ATs or the AKGs. Haven't actually tried any grados/alessandros, but have tried other supra-aural headphones.

The AKGs bass might appear to be a bit flabby unamped, but will still sound good nonetheless and will respond very well to even minor upgrades.

I've never heard the A500s, and I get the feeling I'm going to have to try them out one of these days.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 19
the comfy pads on the ms-1 are actually satisfactory. i can listen to the cans for a couple of hours and not cry in pain.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 19
I haven't personally worn any of those phones, but from what I've read all over this forum, I'd say you might want to immediately remove the Grados, Senn HD280Pro, and possibly the V6. People complain about the lack of comfort (vise-grip) in the HD280s all the time. The Grado SR-60 apparently has comfort issues. And the V6 is wishy-washy. It's a very well-liked set of phones on this forum (sound-wise), but some people complain that the partial resting on your ears causes discomfort after a little while.

I myself ordered a pair of ATH-A500's a few nights ago and can't wait to get them. Supposedly for the price they sound amazing, but they are closed and I needed isolation, and they are also very large (though comfortable becasue the pads do not sit on your ear).

You might want to consider the Sony MDR-CD780 for the same price, also an import. These phones are open, plus their sound is supposed to be right on par with the A500's.

Then again, AKG 240s also gets high marks. HeadRoom says they're pretty comfortable and that they have lots of bass.

It's a hard decision.
biggrin.gif
But then again, aren't they all?

-Brian

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 19
I don't really find the SR 60s uncomfortable at all.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 19
ATH-500 will probably be a good choice for you. the grados are known to be rock and pop headphones so they probably won't give you that bass-slam you're looking for when listening to rap and hip-hop stuff.

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 19
Apr 10, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by TheBigDu

Then again, AKG 240s also gets high marks. HeadRoom says they're pretty comfortable and that they have lots of bass.

They are pretty fun, but the bass is bloaty sounding IMO, even out of high-end amps (very bloaty unamped or with a PIMETA), and kinda ruins the whoel experience for me. They are very comfortable, have a pretty good soundstage, and the classic great AKG midrange sound.

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 19
Well after all the responses (thanks for being so quick guys) I've narrowed it down to these three:

Audio Technica ATH-A500
Sennheiser HD515
AKG 240S

Nobody's commented on the Senns...has anyone tried them yet? I didn't really find anything searching for them either. HeadRoom seemed to like them a lot but didn't really specify what type of music they worked best with or if they needed an amp or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back