Home Gym Equipment???
Apr 9, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am moving and no longer have a free gym to go to. I will not drive to a local gym. I just rather spend 20 min total than an hour. I don't like spending time at the gym, I simply do it because it is good for me, and my family has a history of health issues.

I'm looking for a standard stationary bike and a universal bench, all for under $700. Preferably under $500. The equipment doesn't have to be perfect or last forever. I just want it to be decent. I rather spend money on headphone equipment, so for this I am on a tight budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm 5'7, 150lbs. I will be in an apartment, so "home gym" packages are pretty much too big. I'll have to do this the old fashioned way, with dumbells.
biggrin.gif

So far, I am looking at the bowflex bench with situp attachment. Although the brand "bowflex" is controversial, it seems that this may be one of the best benches for the price(according to a lot of online reviews). As for a bike, I am completely lost as I have never bought cardio equipment. Any suggestions?

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 18
I have looked at bowflex for awhile, why I think this would be good, or any bowflex is that you never see them for resale. they never show up in the local paper classifieds, never see them at the side of the road...no resale must mean something!

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 18
for your average guy i think a skipping rope and a set of dumbells is enough. If you want abs do some sit ups (time consuming of course).
the skipping rope will condition your whole body +keep your heart healthy and you can train your arms with the dumbells.
but i am by no means a fitness guru.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have looked at bowflex for awhile, why I think this would be good, or any bowflex is that you never see them for resale. they never show up in the local paper classifieds, never see them at the side of the road...no resale must mean something!

Yea, the reviews I've read are all positive, except at "bodybuilding.com/forums". But again, a lot of people are very, very close-minded.

The only concern I see, is that I have read that the weight is very light. I'm only 5'7, but I can bench 260lbs. I would like to maintain that strength. It seems that when it "says" 200+ pounds, it feels like you are lifting 130lbs or so. That is my only concern, well that and price. I didn't want to spend that much. But a dumbell set can only go so far...

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 18
I would go with some dumbbells with adjustable weights and either a physioball or a adjustable bench. With these two pieces of equipment, you can do almost any exercise. As for the cardio, you can either get the stationary bike, or you can just run outside.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 18
You should browse kijiji.com

I really like the old Monark stationary bikes, no electronics and very minimal maintenance required over time so they retain a strong resell value.

One thing you should keep in mind when buying a bench is how much the cushion compresses. I'm not really sure why but I found benches with a soft padding hard on my back.

If your serious about strength training then a flat bench, power cage, and an Olympic weight set would be the best package so you can perform all the major compound barbell movements.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for your average guy i think a skipping rope and a set of dumbells is enough. If you want abs do some sit ups (time consuming of course).
the skipping rope will condition your whole body +keep your heart healthy and you can train your arms with the dumbells.
but i am by no means a fitness guru.

Agreed. Free weights will challenge you more than any contraption. Don't forget your aerobics. Very important.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YGPM. I've got a bunch of decent gym gear you can have if you'd like and I'm in Ohio.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there anyway to effectively work your all the leg muscles without a rack? Or is that a must. I may as well turn my second bedroom into a weight room.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there anyway to effectively work your all the leg muscles without a rack? Or is that a must. I may as well turn my second bedroom into a weight room.

Deadlifts.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 18
if i had the space i would get,

incline/decline bench,
barbell [adjustable]
dumbells [adjustable]
pull up bar
exercise mat
ball
as essentials

i really need to use a leg press for my legs as they arent very good,
frown.gif