Home Cinema Packages
Mar 25, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 24
Thanks for ALL the replies guys, you've been a great help. I've decided not to get the Sony DAVS550, simply because I am thinking of quality. I think its time I upgraded my hifi.. no, my stereo to a better system. It seems the DAVS550 does not have such a high fidelity sound (I didnt expect it anyway) even though it has got many rave reviews/awards. As Trawlerman said "The DAVS range is a lifestyle product and in my opion rates no higher in the quality and performances stakes than say a Bose" I think its time for me to get into higher quality sound
wink.gif
(All my stereos etc have been lifestyle jobbies) For DVDs I will get a new DVD drive for my PC (current one broken!) and I will probably just get an amp and speakers+sub for movies/music.

Surround sound isnt too important atm. I'll wait to get a killer setup when I'm no longer just a poor student
tongue.gif
For now I want quality at a not so high price and most of the suggestions here are above my budget!

Since most of my music is MP3 and not CD I wont really be needing a seperate CD player yet. So with this extra info would my idea be better?

M-Audio Sonica -> Amp -> 2Speakers+Sub?

I am trying to restrict my budget to £300 so unless there is a cheap-but-good surround sound speaker package Id have to stick to 2 bookshelf speakers. No floorstanding ones Im afraid cos the speakers are situated about 50cm away in NE/NW direction. If I had floorstanders in this position it wouldnt be an ideal position right?

After a while I could get a headphone amp for my 580s and use the surround sound processing in the Sonica/Windvd instead of 5 speakers.

PS - Even though my MP3s are hardly "good" MP3s I know that a new amp/speakers+sub would kill my setup atm. Its just a Sony midi/mini (not sure which!) stereo.

Mar 25, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 24
Trawlerman: I'm in Reading, Berkshire so quite far away
tongue.gif
Thanks for the offer tho
smily_headphones1.gif

And I was just wondering.. this may sound stupid but just curious. I have a Plextor CD-RW drive. I know this obviously wouldnt be anywhere near as good as a dedicated full size CDP but what would the sound be like if I was to use it as a CDP?

Mar 25, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by simonlo

PS - Image for rear of DAVS550

Ahh, this puppy has a digital-in...neat for the price! I saw it in a cataloge and wondered about that.. I would need that -in to hook up my Laserdisc Player and my RF-demodulator. I think I will keep an eye on this thing, I need something compact-no-fuss-no-monstrosity-speakers to live under the TV.
cool.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 24
It took me ages to locate a rear view and I only came across it by accident. Lucky I paused for that second!

The lack of a digital OUT slightly put me off as I wouldnt be able to record to Minidisc which cant be good
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

The lack of a digital OUT slightly put me off as I wouldnt be able to record to Minidisc which cant be good
tongue.gif

They do not want you to make digital copys anyway
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

They do not want you to make digital copys anyway
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Of course they do! Why do u think MDP and MD decks are sold
tongue.gif

I mean just making copies of music CDs for portable use btw.

Mar 25, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Of course they do! Why do u think MDP and MD decks are sold
tongue.gif

I mean just making copies of music CDs for portable use btw.

Believe me, if they can keep you from making *any* digital copies today, they will not wait 'till tomorrow. I have the nagging impression that we will see a steady increase in stationary devices with "some little shortcoming", one way or the other. Customers raving about DRM or TCPA? Well, why not just leave away the digital-out instead? Same effect, nobody can moan about DRM, less cost.
Maybe I am paranoid though.
cool.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 24
Why go through your processor to make a digital copy of a CD? Just plug the optical out into your MD directly. If your player is coaxial, then pick up an [MAudio CO2] from Minidisco for $49.95 or make sure the DAC you buy (if you do) can do the trick for you.

With an optical-out or combination-out equipped PCDP, you don't need (and probably shouldn't have) a processor in the path to make a copy. One cable should do it for you.

[(BTW: To anyone who sees a better deal on the CO2: feel free to share.)]

Mar 25, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 24
oops theres been some confusion i think. if i was to copy cd->md then yeh id use the sonica and connect to either my md deck or mz-r50. (in fact the stereo i have now has a digital out for md)

i meant that with a digital out on the davs550 processor (which im not buying anymore for reasons in my previous post) i could copy cd->md directly without the use for a pc (to avoid possible jumping/quality issues)

obviously if i was to copy mp3s to md id need the pc and sonica
tongue.gif

i was just thinking that with the sonica listening to mp3s/movies etc through an amp/speakers would be better than the simple line out of my soundcard which i am currently using

Users who are viewing this thread

Back