Home Cinema Packages
Mar 19, 2003 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

simonlo

New Head-Fier
Im considering buying one of those "all-in-one" home cinema systems but wanted some general feedback about them. Are they just not worth the money (ie buy separates instead)?

I (think i) know(!) that separates will generally thrash any all-in-one player but theres the hassle of buying matching components and the higher prices. However, I'm willing to do my research (hopefully with some help from you guys!) and if the system really is worth it, I'd pay a higher price than I originally reserved.

My budget atm I'd say is about £300-£500? I really dont want to go over £500 because I'm looking to buying a flatscreen monitor as well (so that i could use it as a PC monitor and as a TV for dvd/PS2 - is this actually possible? Any monitors out there?)

My goal is to transform my room into a complete multimedia theatre, if you get what i mean. Sort of, use the system with my PC listening to MP3s, watching divx movies etc and then switch to dvd/PS2 while sitting in the same chair, and all the while I'd be enjoying fine quality sound (perhaps in surround sound).

So basically I would like some recommendations and comments about 1) all-in-one packages like the sony davs550 or 2) a few seperates components to do the same as the all-in-ones (obviously!).

I could get a chance to audition a few of these all-in-one systems as well as some separates systems at a local Richer Sounds store.

Also, any recommendations that would help me achieve my goal would be much appreciated! Like, perhaps buying a M-audio Sonica to have better sound quality?

Mar 19, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 24
Dell 2000FP (20"LCD) is a pretty neat moitor for that - it has s-video, composite, DVI-D and SVGA inputs. I've been playing Xbox and Gamecube through S-video while I compile for work :)

The DAVS-550 looks pretty good, I've been thinking about this one for a computer setup. DVP-F25 for DVD.

Mar 19, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks for the reply aeberbach. I looked at that monitor and while it seems very nice its a bit expensive for me!

I take it not too many people are into home cinema?
tongue.gif
Or am i being impatient
wink.gif

Any more comments would be appreciated!

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm not sure what the pricing is across the pond, but the Acoustic Energy Aego 5.1 setup is OK. Doesn't go very loud, but it sounds decent even for 2 channel music.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 24
for a budget analog ht (non pscan) the "kv" series sony wega are a good place to start. i got a 27" wega for under $500. the color accuracy on the wega is unmatched imho, and playstation2 games using the s-video jack look fantastic (especially in anamorphic mode). go with the largest screen you can afford, minimum 25".

if they sell them in the uk, you could look at denon ht recievers. failing that you could look to uk's rotel.

for speakers the psb alphas are supposed to be a great deal (if they sell them in the uk).

sony makes a great cheap sub, but can't remember the name right now.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 24
simon, I'm not sure what the Sony DAV-S 550 can be had for in the UK, but it's probably the best option (at least that I'm aware of). It looks good, and the sound is OK if the room is not to large (up to 25m2 IMO - much above that and I think you pushing it beyond it's limits, which you can easily hear....) SACD is of course just a bonus.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 24
Yeah, I can get the davs550 for 350GBP (547USD) so it seems a cheap and easy solution. I was wondering whether many people have had experience with this system and could post it here. If the sound quality is good then I'd definitely buy it. If not... ill look around at other systems or maybe separates.

It will be a smallish room (actually, its my bedroom
biggrin.gif
) so I should have no problems. If anyone has had experience with this or another system could you post comments?

I can also get the davc770 model for £100 more at £450. Is this worth it? It seems that the only difference is a multi CD changer and slightly more power in terms of speaker wattage.

Mar 19, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by simonlo
Yeah, I can get the davs550 for 350GBP (547USD) so it seems a cheap and easy solution. I was wondering whether many people have had experience with this system and could post it here. If the sound quality is good then I'd definitely buy it. If not... ill look around at other systems or maybe separates.

It will be a smallish room (actually, its my bedroom
biggrin.gif
) so I should have no problems. If anyone has had experience with this or another system could you post comments?

I can also get the davc770 model for £100 more at £450. Is this worth it? It seems that the only difference is a multi CD changer and slightly more power in terms of speaker wattage.

350 quid!! Wow, it retails for about twice that here and I've never seen it cheaper than ~500 GBP. At that price, I don't think you'll find anything better (but be sure to get a receipt - that is a very good price
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
).
While I don't have any experience with the DAV-C 770,I'm not a big fan of changers, especially not when they're in a piece of kit this cheap...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Buy the 550 instead. If the room is as small as you say, the extra power isn't really needed anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Mar 20, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Yeah only £350 and thats multi-region as well. Without, its only £300
tongue.gif

Anyway, been doing some heavy research on the internet and it seems that if i dont get a LCD screen with the correct inputs I would need a converter box to convert the signal from the davs550 (either component or svideo i think) to xvga (1024/768 resolution, its a 17inch Im looking to buy) which (so far) seems to be another £100!

A friend remembers seeing one for £35 and i am waiting to hear from him tonight. I can get the monitor for £300~ which is apparently a pretty good deal.

Would it be desirable to get another monitor or another home theatre/cinema system with better connections/inputs/outputs? The monitor, btw, is this one. Specs here.

Sorry if i am going out of the realms of the forum (it is a headphone forum after all right?) but most other forums seem to be either full of hosility towards one another or full of crap
biggrin.gif
Also, I've been reading these forums for a long time now and the people here know a damn lot
wink.gif

PS - Image for rear of DAVS550
davs550rear.jpg

Mar 20, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 24
Simonlo,

My personal recommendation to you would be to go with the Acoustic Energy AEGO P5 and a good DVD player like the Pioneer DV350.

The Aego P5 and DV350 will leave the DAVS550 for standing. Alright, it won't have SACD compatibility liek the Sony but you're buying a Home Cinema setup, not a high performance audio rig.

I work for a Sony authorised dealer here in the UK and was offered the DAVS550 for considerable discount via a staff offer and passed on it because basically the DAVS range is crap.

The DAVS range is a lifestyle product and in my opion rates no higher in the quality and performances stakes than say a Bose.

You didn't put where you are but if it's anywhere near Yorkshire you would be most welcome to come and listen to my rig anytime.

Sound As Ever

Mar 20, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 24
Of course you'd be better off buying separates, but then you'd probably have to increase your budget to about 800-1000 GBP (depending on what richer-sounds.co.uk can offer this week
wink.gif
).
And I readily admit that a combo of the Pioneer 550 reciever/dvd and the KEF KHT 2005 speakers both looks and sounds better, but if that's a little too steep, the DAV-S 550 is the best of the bunch IMHO (Note: I work for a Sony retailer as well
biggrin.gif
).
And, after all as Mick wrote "you're buying a Home Cinema setup, not a high performance audio rig."
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Mar 21, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 24
I have to concur with Trawlerman (I use the word *trawl* whenever possible, by the way) on the Aego 5 (or P5, depending on your requirements). For a small room, it is ideal -- I never play it loud enough to hear it distort. I tested its 5.1 prowess with The Fellowship of the Ring the other day and it certainly passed. The music I've played in that room so far has sounded good, too (though bedroom activities don't lend themselves to classical fare and that, for me, is the real test).

My ultimate recommendation for the p5 hinges on whether I can find a G9 multi pin to quarter inch X6 cord for the sub-woofer, should I decide to ditch the processor and just use the speakers some day (which was rather the point of my buying the package). If I buy a house (or should a higher spec compact processor appear at a decent price), I'll want to go through another receiver or processor. The speaker package alone (the Aego5) includes an RCA in just below the volume knob, so the cord wouldn't be necessary later in that case.

[However, my wanting to use the speakers later with another setup should speak volumes about their quality and usefulness, nudge nudge.]

Even so, I don't intend on switching to a different processor for my bedroom any time soon. The thing sounds excellent for what it is and nothing else would fit in the room (the half-sized processor is also a perfect fit). The processor does get disarmingly warm, but keep in mind that I'm using a Brit model (with Stateside conversion, as shown in another thread) in NYC because I was able to buy it cheaply.

As for buying a non-region-free DVDP -- I don't recommend it unless you'll only be listening music. Half the films I watched have never been released on DVD in America and even then, non-States versions are often better.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm not sure if it would stay within your budget or be available there, but the setup I was looking at fits roughly in your price range: (prices in USD)

Panasonic HE-70K (one of those 'better than we thought it would be' receivers that got very high marks w/ Consumer Reports, for whatever that's worth) - $135 (HE-100 is a step up to 6.1, 24/96 and is $200)

JBL NS1 -- $200. nice 5-piece speakers....occasionally available around here for $150 or so on eBay...don't know about UK vendors. Could break the bank.

Sony SA-WM20 (the sub that redshifter referred to, I believe)- $150 or $100

the JBL SCS135 is a 5.1 setup that may be more in line with budget and is aimed at home theater...has a sub included that isn't as nice as the Sony. Around $200 or $250.

That setup comes to about $500, and still needs a DVD player of your choosing. If it's an ideal world and the parts are available there at roughly the same prices (chances? I've been doing a lot of bargain hunting) then it'd be in your price range.
Just wanted to add some hope in a seperates setup... note that I haven't heard this particular combination, it's just what I've pieced together from reviews so far. All rated well on audioreview.com (which is probably a good place to ask the question for some different feedback, by the way).

Mar 24, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 24
simonlo: Be careful with these all-in-one packages. Most of these don't feature an analog 5.1-input, which is what you'll need to play multichannel games with EAX, A3D... You'd probably be better off with a decent fully powered surround speaker system like the Teufel Concept E Magnum or similar designs to couple with an entertainment pc.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 24, 2003 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 24
I've just learned by reading the manual that the multipin to RCA cord is supposed to be included generally. I received an apology from my seller and the cable is in the mail (though it should have been in the package).

The point of my system was its size, of course. If you'll be listening/gaming somewhere dinky, it's ideal. If not, take Lini's suggestion (or someone else's (or not -- aren't you grateful I'm giving you permission to spend your own money freely?)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back