Home Amp
Aug 24, 2005 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nitsujH

New Head-Fier
Sorry if I've missed some post that would have ansowered my question, but my search didn't help much since I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a low to intermedate level amp that is powerful enough to power larger speakers. I've built a CMoy and a half (my dad decided he wanted to finnish his by himself) with out too many problems and my soldering isn't too bad. So I think I'm confident to build a slighty more complex amp than a CMoy with some sort of instruction.

Here are the specs of the speakers I'll be powering (if it's even needed)
Technics SB-L75
Impedance: 8ohm
Input Power:150W
Output Sound Pressure: 92dB at 1m

Also, multiple outputs would be a plus, but not required.

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Are you sure that you are ready to take on a project that has the potential to kill you if you stick your finger in the wrong spot?
If you are Chipamp dot com sells bare boards and kits that are pretty decent.
http://www.chipamp.com/

lol, when you put it that way, I'm not sure if I am. But I'll check out that page to see what's out there.

What kind of voltage will I be looking at for this kind of amp?

*EDIT* Do those kits on chipamp.com come with everything you need to build an amp (amp section, power section, knobs, pots, and connection points)? Sorry, but I just learned the idea of a kit amp, so sorry if you find my questions trivial.

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 13
If you buy a kit you get everything you need except a mains transformer, heatsink, enclosure and input/output connectors
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 13
depends from chip to chip. Anything from 2x40watt to much higher. I've built and blown up a 75watt one
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
How powerful are these home built amps (watts) I'm really curious cuz i cant find it on the site

LM3875 is 56W max.
LM3886 is 68W max.
LM4780 is 2x60W or 1x120W max.

This assumes max. supply voltage. You can combine the LM3886 (and the LM4780 which is basicaly two LM3886 in a single package) in bridge and/or parallel modes to achieve power levels up to several hundred watts
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 13
I built a 55 watt one and it sounds great. 55 watts is usually enough power for efficient speakers. Here are some pictures of mine. I used an enclosure from Par Metal, but I don't know if they ship outside the US.

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I've built and blown up a 75watt one
biggrin.gif

That made my day.
biggrin.gif

(bwa ha ha ha.....)

As for voltage, just be careful. Tube kits are notorious for having high voltages to work with off of the transformers. I think some of the Bottlehead kits can run upwards of 200 volts. For testing, obviously, make your connections with one hand...and the other tied behind your back.

Aug 29, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
Feel like a class A/B linear solid state power amp?

http://www.aksaonline.com/welcome.htm

The instructions are first class, the proprietor is very helpful, and there is an active support forum.

You can go 55w or 100w. I have built the 55w version.

Agree. The kit includes power supply with details build inst & photos. 95% of the parts are supplied. All you need is transformers (too heave to be part of the kit), power socket, a case and some bits that you can find locally.
I replace my Plinius power amp with the 100w version. Not looking back.
Have a look at the Gallery.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...t=9264&start=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back