Home amp for my grado's??
Aug 16, 2005 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

chungsoi

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...I'm looking for a nice home amp which will synergise well with the rs-1's. I will be using the amp purely with the grados and I've been considering a PPA or M3. My budget is about $400USD new or used, SS or tube. Any recommendations???

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 32
What is wrong with using your RA-1?

I use a WNA headamp MKII with my RS-1 and it seems to work well for me and a few others, but then I haven't heard the RS-1 with any other amp...

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 32
I like the ra-1, but sometimes I find it a bit too bright up top and also don't like the fact I have to constantly change/recharge the batteries. I'd like to try something different which can be AC powered. Anyone have any experience with the m^3 with rs-1??

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 32
Well they do make an RA-1 with an AC plug, but since you don't like the brightness up top (it's a bit too much for me too) a mellow option would be a White Noise amp. I thought this was a nice relaxed DIY amp from across the pond, and 1911's RS-1 had a warmer presentation with it (for solid state that is). It's a pure home amp tho, so it's not transportable if that's something you're worried about.

I've heard great things about the Gilmore Lite, I look forward to hearing one at a Head-fi meet.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Well they do make an RA-1 with an AC plug, but since you don't like the brightness up top (it's a bit too much for me too) a mellow option would be a White Noise amp. I thought this was a nice relaxed DIY amp from across the pond, and 1911's RS-1 had a warmer presentation with it (for solid state that is). It's a pure home amp tho, so it's not transportable if that's something you're worried about.

That sounds interesting, and definitely something I'd look into. Jahn, do you know where could I get my hands on one of these WNA amps? I'm hopeless with DIY stuff so I'd prefer a done up one, not a kit...

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 32
Do you think it's worthwhile to venture into the world of tubes for the rs-1's, as opposed to solid state? I've read that some say that the rs-1 has a "thick syrupy midrange" and sounds muddy with a tube amp, while others swear by the tubes and its musicality with the rs-1's....somes tube amps that come to mind are the Melos Sha-1 and EMP...
confused.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 32
actually i'd just PM PinkFloyd, he's the resident guru on that amp - he can either make you one or refer you to a DIY guy you can trust to make you one.

I would decline the "WNA in a Resin Block" option tho!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 32
I have RS-2's. I have tried the RA-1 twice and several other headphone amps. It has been my experience that some sources that sound fine thru my home system can sound lean and a bit bright when plugged directly into a headphone amp. On the other hand, I have found that a cheap, portable cd player with it's bass boost engaged will sound muddy and dull thru my home system but sounds fine when plugged directly into a headphone amp.

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 32
The HeadAmp Audio Electronics Gilmore Lite is an excellent amplifier for Grado Labs headphones. However, if you desire an amplifier that is not necessarily bright in its presentation I hesitate to recommend the Gilmore Lite.

Best,
iDesign

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 32
I actually had a gilmore Lite before which I found to be a bit too bright also for my liking with the Grado's, not so bad with the ms-2i's though...

I'm considering a WNA MKII amp, anyone else have any experience with this amp and the rs-1's??

Aug 17, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 32
Actually, the WNA isn't that hard to put together. I made one as my first DIY project, but you can buy it assembled as well.... I don't remember the prices though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back