Holyshitbass!
Feb 25, 2003 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Trounce

500+ Head-Fier
Holy****bass!!

!!!

The DT770s, well equalized, are a great pair of cans. I am using a software equalizer, increasing the bass and lowering the treble slightly, and it works wonderfully. Otherwise it is sibilant and uncomfortable. But wow, they sound amazing. I am completely loving this bass; it is powerful, deep, vibrating, but controlled and very mellow. They do not overpower the song by any stretch. It is a wonder to behold these phones.

And they're closed! That's the greatest part! My first closed pair of headphones (unless you count my craptacular MDR-150s, I think that's what they're called.)

Great purchase, IMO, but I bought them secondhand... they have a frito stain. =)

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 28
I'm a bassaholic.

I'm on the 1st step of my program; I admit I have a problem and plan to do nothing to end it.

biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 28
Gluegun, you are a snarky piece of person, you know that?
I've never seen one positive, polite comment from you in both this forum or hardforums.

And I am using a "real" amp: my Supermini. What would you like me to do beyond that?

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 28
gluegun, why do you have to be so mean to everybody? Can't we all just get along......

By the way.... Trounce, I hate you and your little boostaroo too.

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 28
Sibilancy, or I should say lack of it, is very improtant in my evaluation of a set of headphones (or speakers). Maybe someone can help me... to what extent (relatively) is the biggest contributing factor in this regard? source, amp or cans?

I'm glad that you are enjoying (music through) your new cans ...and really that's what its all about.

P.S. as a newbee... I had to go to the dictionary for that one.... but I did know what "hiss" is
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 28
I apologize, I overreacted.

Profile updated.

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
I'm a bassaholic.

I'm on the 1st step of my program; I admit I have a problem and plan to do nothing to end it.

biggrin.gif

770s are the first step? That's like giving heroin to a recovering crack-head and saying "hope you kick the habbit."

biggrin.gif
Very nice setup man.

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 28
Oh man, just realize that the bass in the 770s is already +8 db. Adding more boost on top of that and nothing else will ever sound right. I am assuming normal listening levels, of course. Bass disappears at low levels, and with background noise.

Let me know when you are ready to build a subwoofer!

gerG

Feb 25, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 28
Don't get the impression that I enjoy boomy, spacially-dissatisfying bass just because it's there; if that were the case, I'd be listening to my Streetstyles on my BassBoost Sony Walkman.

I like the feeling of bass when it is present, and articulate, and accurate. The DT770s were what I needed: a powerful, comfortable, closed phone that sounds relatively good with most recordings.

So far so good.

PS. The Supermini NEEDS 9v to run this baby well. It clips very early otherwise.

Feb 25, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 28
Bongo,

i define sibilancy as being part of the voice spectrum. therefore if I start with a nice flat midrange headphone, I then would work onto the source if necessary and then leave the amp for last (as it will tend to affect all my headphones).

what is it? a shriek. at least to me.

others will consider sibilancy as distortion, usually of a high-mid to high range. it's still a very harsh sound, though. sometimes replacing the cd player will alleviate sibilancy.

you gotta start with the cans. and that's why it is so convenient to attend meets where people bring different players, cables, amps... yes, and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back