Holy Smoke.. the K701's are demanding...
May 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RatFarm

100+ Head-Fier
I am still breaking in my K701's but I am stunned at how BADLY my Creative X-Fi drives them. Anything above moderate level and the distortion sets in. And where is the low bass??? Listening to Jon Hassell's City Of Fiction, the super low bass is MIA. Mid bass punch sounds strangely hollow and distant. The mids are great though. Still saving for an amp but now I wonder if I should have picked a headphone that is easier to drive ....
basshead.gif

May 24, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the modded X-Fi can drive the K701s just fine. but i still recommend a tube amp with this headphone.

Does your modified X-Fi deliver more juice to the headphones (via bigger caps or higher current opamps)?

May 24, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatFarm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your modified X-Fi deliver more juice to the headphones (via bigger caps or higher current opamps)?

it's not about juice, it's about dampening. getting the K701s loud is not hard, but you need to do so with authority. the LM4562 can drive the K701s to very loud levels and with little distortion.

May 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 11
as said by the above posters, relative to the HD650 or the Denons, the K701 are no bass monster (although extension is just as good). however, if you have a tube amp, you'll get a fuller sound and some bass boost. usually tube amps also boost treble, but not so with the K701 since the impedance curve is very flat except for the lower frequencies.

May 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 11
It seems that a lot of people love K701 and LDII/LDII+/LDII++ mix. Did anybody get a chance to try new LDIII or LDIII+ (who comes up with these names?!
blink.gif
) in combo with K701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back