Holy Crap, My Car Is Loud!
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #17 of 30
My car averages around 75dB when idling, and around 85-90 when going 60MPH. Now, I always wear my ER-20 earplugs when in my car.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 30
I don't think people realize how loud their cars really are. Even those luxury cars are noisy at highway speeds, maybe not 85 but higher any most expect.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 30
Nu: A clunky old Mercury Mountaineer with severe differential problems.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 30
At least I'm not in your area. Or else I'd have to watch out for getting hit by the earplugged driver. Is that even legal?

Any cops or lawyers that can talk on this issue?

I'm not sure about legality, but i don't think that's safe. I wouldn't be comfortable driving with earplugs.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 30
Let's put it this way, if a car's interior noise level is 90 db, and earplugs reduce that by 20 db, there is plenty of noise to "alert" the driver at anytime.

Also, a lexus, which is probably 10-15 db quieter than a regular passenger car gives the same acoustic attenuation as a pair of etymotics. Should lexus drivers be arrested for having a lower interior noise level?

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 30
Sirens are pretty loud. And there's the Doppler effect working for them, so as they get closer, the pitch will increase, which will at least annoy someone with REALLY loud music on.

Just imagine: "Dude, your subwoofer is making this weird whiny noise. Where'd all the bass go? Wait, I can actually hear above 100 Hz? DUDE! AWESOME! Oh wait, we're holding up an ambulance. The driver is waving his arms like a maniac. I wonder what his problem is?"

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #24 of 30
I need to do this test one of these days. I have a feeling that my 3rd gen Integra won't fair too well. However, it is a ton quieter than my old 2nd gen CRX
eek.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 30
Well, I took the car to a mechanic. The shop mechanics seemed really confused. The first guy said there was a problem with the timing belt. The second mechanic said there was no timing belt. He thought it might be the timing CHAIN. The third said it was neither the chain nor belt, but the fuel injectors. The fourth said it was an alternator. He wasn't sure if the repair would make the car any quieter.

Can these guys be any more confused? Then they ripped me on the cost of an air filter replacement: $30!!!!

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least I'm not in your area. Or else I'd have to watch out for getting hit by the earplugged driver. Is that even legal?

Any cops or lawyers that can talk on this issue?

I'm not sure about legality, but i don't think that's safe. I wouldn't be comfortable driving with earplugs.

ER-20 earplugs do not block sound, they only lower the overall volume. I can still hear everything that is going on around me.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 30
I re-measured sound levels, this time with a-weighting, not c weighting. Idle is approx. 50 db. a weighted, and around town cruising is around 60 to 70 db, I think. So, the figures that car and driver are getting must be based on a weight decibel readings.

Edit: yup! C/D magazine uses A weighting, a less severe test of noise/vibration/harshness:

Sound Level

Vehicle noise that makes its way into the passenger compartment can greatly affect a car's character. To measure it, we use a hand-held Brüel & Kjær Type 2236 sound-level meter. First, we use the VBOX to determine the speedometer reading that corresponds to a true 70 mph. Then we position the microphone close to the driver's right ear and measure the sound at idle, at full throttle, and when cruising at 70 mph. Sound level is measured in decibels with the A-weighting scale (dBA), and we average the sound level in two directions to minimize the effect of wind. And as you'd expect, the higher the number, the louder the noise.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed+page-4.html

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #29 of 30
Re-measuring with a-weighting, idle is below 50 db, and highway cruising and acceleration up to 55 mph is between 65 and 70 db. Right in line with Car and Driver's figures for newer cars!

So, the auto mechanic was trying to rip me off.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #30 of 30
The mini tuneup I had (air filter change, oil change) has done quite a bit of good. Freeway driving is down to 85 db. Idle is as low as 65 db. Keep your car tuned up, and it will treat you right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back