Holy Crap, My Car Is Loud!
Nov 1, 2008 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nuphones

Head-Fier
I bought a radioshack sound level meter earlier this week but didn't get a chance to try it until today. I can't believe how loud my car is!

I measured 75db at idle, c weighted, and just jaunting around town at 30 mph gets it up to 85+ db. Is this the correct reading? Whenever I read Car and Driver reports, their DB ratings are closer to 45 inside a car at idle and upwards of 85 db in sports cars on the freeway.

Is my car that badly tuned? Nissan Sentra btw.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 30
I've seen too many of those Nissan Sentras outfitted with those non-muffler "sport" mufflers. You wouldn't happen to have one of those, would you?

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 30
Seems to be on the loud side for sure.
Do you have a stock exhaust system, or have it been tuned in some way?

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say your exhaust gaskets are shot, or your muffler has rotted out.

Perhaps the entire exhaust system has rusted and has holes?

a leaking manifold gasket unless leaking MASSIVLY (the car would run like **** if it was due to back pressure problems) wouldn't make that much noise

100 to 1 you have rust holes someplace in the exhaust system.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 30
Think how loud music has to be to be heard in that environment. This is just the environment that music compression has been design to address.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 30
maybe its not loud, maybe you just dont like its soundquality or soundsignature anymore and its time for an upgrade
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 30
Actually his values he is getting are fairly common. I have done the same test. I get about 80-85dB driving at highway speeds in my Scion XB.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 30
I know my car is loud...the muffler fell of and the remaining pipes are holely. But I need to save up for new clutch & head gasket.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 30
Plus, my car is a bit older too: '98. Here are some values:

55 db outside car, quiet neighborhood

70-75 db at idle

80-85 db cruising at 35 mph

88-94 db at 65 mph, moderate traffic

Although these are likely within normal range, it's still far from ideal.

Also, about the numbers that Car and Driver produces for newer cars (40 db at idle, 70 db highway); these are likely numbers produced in a closed race track (no other cars, no noise from industry, the neighborhood), rather than in real world traffic. Let the buyer beware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually his values he is getting are fairly common. I have done the same test. I get about 80-85dB driving at highway speeds in my Scion XB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back