HOLY CRAP! Is Sony finally ditching SONICSTAGE?!
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Their newest DAP is announced NOT TO USE SS.
blink.gif

www.anythingbutipod.com

Holy crap. Can you say revolution?

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 14
The day Sony ditched SonicStage? Is the world ending soon? I better stock up on canned supplies now!

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Its about time, i avoided their players for years because of their terrible software and format.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 14
I think they should focus on simplifying sonic stage. Its a pretty capable program that needs to be refined but throwing it all away would be a waste. Atrac on the other hand, should be abandoned imo.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atrac on the other hand, should be abandoned imo.

Whny? IMO ATRAC should be given free; it is an excellent sounding codec.
Sonic Stage used to be horrible, I remember having 2.x and it kept on freezing, crashed, did not what it was supposed to do, was slow, unintuitive etc.
There is an old post of me somewhere here where I called it the most horrible piece of software I ever encountered.
However, SS 4.x is reliable, fast, does not add DRM and works quite nice.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree with ditching the software, it is buggy and annoying, and doesn't support multiple language, sometime even playing mp3 could post a problem.

But as for the atrac, actually I like it quite a lot though:p,
I was comparing it with mp3 320kbps, and atrac prove much less signal loss during compression(comparing waveform), retaining the highs really good.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it... Sarcastic? If not what's so revolutionary.?

It is revolutionary for Sony. This is equivalent to Microsoft ditching DRM.
blink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 14
i'm definitely going to ditch the ipods for these if they ever do it right. No more sonic stage, no more atrac, welcome flac, welcome UMS(drag and drop).

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Well, its about time they tossed atrac out...its useless as long as it stays proprietary.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm definitely going to ditch the ipods for these if they ever do it right. No more sonic stage, no more atrac, welcome flac, welcome UMS(drag and drop).

I second this. I've been trying to like Sony DAPs for a long time. These are two very good reasons to start. This hints at mac support, too ....

Their support of AAC recently is also nice, and FLAC + AAC ... all they need are hard drives so I can finally ditch the iProprietary.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Without the Sonyisms though you will have to consider whether it's anything more than a somewhat restricted, prettier Cowon/iRiver. Perhaps not a revolution, but rather a meek ape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back