Holy Crap. ilounge still prefers the E500 to the UE11s
Sep 12, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 20
I prefer the shure E500 to the UE10 also. And prefer the grado SR60 to almost anything other than the E5, E500, UE10 and triple fis. I actualy like the grados SR60 as much as i like these top tier IEMs.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ilounge people (and perhaps others as well) have grown so accustomed to the anemic bass provided by most IEMs that the UE11Pro just seems too bassy by comparison.

But the fact is that to my ears the UE11Pros come really close to rivalling floor speakers. And they are infinitely better than my comparably priced 8 speaker car audio system.

When you get past the philosophical arguments concerning neutral vs natural, cold vs warm,flat frequency curve vs humped, and so on -- the bottom line is that the UE11Pros are just a BLAST to listen to. So musical -- addictively so! I found it telling that the iLounge reviewer referred to the UE10 as "clinical" and yet somehow preferred it! Why would anyone prefer a clinical sound vs a more musical one, unless one thought one was "supposed to" prefer it?

I for one don't care if the bass was boosted or not. The bottom line is that the UE11Pros are clean, detailed, and yes, warm like honey. They're amazing!

I have been posting here for a very short period of time, and I in NO way profess to be a resident genius about the various headphones and amps, etc. I do know that we do not hear things the same way - our frequency response curves don't always match up, some of us may have minor sound spectrum issues we never even knew we had, and others spent more years in a band or working in a bar or going to the drag races with unprotected hearing than we should have. As a result we will NEVER agree 100% on what equipment sounds "best".

Many people have a hobby, pastime or focus on something that they are willing to dedicate more time and money to than anything else. For some it is golf, others it's sports cars or watches or gaming PC's or head-fi gear
lambda.gif
(you get the picture).

However, people will always have issues with what the "most" something can cost (especially if it isn't something THEY perceive value in spending money on). There will always be a demand for the extreme/most costly because some can actually tell the difference in quality, some can't but want the best at all costs, and a rare few have so much disposable income that it just doesn't matter.

I am truly in awe (and jealous) of what many people have put together for their sound systems and I expect them to defend their "favorites" because they believe in the quality and capabilities of the components, and it lends credibility to their decisions and investments.

In reality, if there were only one good product for everything, then there wouldn't be so many choices.... I truly enjoy the depth of the analysis and discussions posted here - there are a lot of VERY smart people on these forums and I respect their opinions fully knowing that I will develop my own biases and preferences over time after spending a lot of my $$$$. I look forward to pressing my own views down the road.....

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 20
I have said it many times before. The E500's are a great bargain. They just sound great. Great may not be neutral or flat but boy do they make music fun.

I own UE10's as well as the E500's. When I am doing some critical listening or (re)mastering - nothing beats the UE10's in terms of showing you what is actually on your mix or in the music. However, in terms of "fun" and enjoying the music - the E500's are hard to beat, especially with the sound they put out and the price they are at. I feel they compliment each other quite well.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jinx, you own a pair of UE10s but you prefer the E500?.......somehow I can't imagine that.

And yes I agree with Aluren the UE10s are more accurate aproximation of real sound than the E500. There is almost as much bass in the UE10s and more accurate detail.

im not talking about bass im talking about warmth,the shures have a much warmer sound,helped by a depper mid to low range also,the ultimate ears are not much better than the shures,its just assumed they are because they are custom i think if they wasnt custom they would be in the same vall park and not any better,its the fit and fell that are different.i just prefer the warmer sound of the shures thats all,the ue10 are a bit flatter than i like

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ilounge people (and perhaps others as well) have grown so accustomed to the anemic bass provided by most IEMs that the UE11Pro just seems too bassy by comparison.

But the fact is that to my ears the UE11Pros come really close to rivalling floor speakers. And they are infinitely better than my comparably priced 8 speaker car audio system.

When you get past the philosophical arguments concerning neutral vs natural, cold vs warm,flat frequency curve vs humped, and so on -- the bottom line is that the UE11Pros are just a BLAST to listen to. So musical -- addictively so! I found it telling that the iLounge reviewer referred to the UE10 as "clinical" and yet somehow preferred it! Why would anyone prefer a clinical sound vs a more musical one, unless one thought one was "supposed to" prefer it?

I for one don't care if the bass was boosted or not. The bottom line is that the UE11Pros are clean, detailed, and yes, warm like honey. They're amazing!

i would certainly go with this,i love a warm sound,its good for all music and when some reggae or soul comes up the warm earphones are seriously unrivalled,its that enjoyment of listening that gets us listening. this is one of the reasons i hate the er4p so much,they are good but for everyday listeners they lack enjoyement,i am yet to try the ue11 and going by what ilounge said i think i would like them more than the ue10.

but there is a limit to the enjoyment and thats what the debate is about,have they took it too far and spoiled the great ue sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back