Holy Cr$%^ Foobar Resampler
Jan 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
How could there be such a huge difference in sound between 44.1KHz and 96KHz in Foobar resampler?

I've heard subtle differences in past with CDP's or DAC's between Upsampling on and off, but this is ridiculous. And I've tended to dislike upsampled sound before. My Lynx Two B card sounds like a completely different card with 96KHz, and what's more, I really like it!

Could this be something about my Lynx card?

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 6
I do not like foobar upsampling because it obviously reduces the quality in my setup. It smooths over micro detail.

If you like it in your setup, that's cool. Some people like the extra smoothness.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 6
FME bad recordings tend to send better with upsampling because it smoothes over the rough parts somewhat, but otherwise...

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 6
What cards are you using with the Foobar resampler?

You guys are saying resampler "smooths" over sound, and this is what I've heard with upsampling buttons on audiophile DAC's and CDP's also in the past.

That's why I'm so puzzled about the sound change with 96Khz (with 32bit fixed point output) with my Lynx card. It's sounding like somebody turned on stage lights and removed heavy wall sound absorbers. midrange to highs are significantly brighter and well-lit. There's more air throughout midrange to treble with more apparent detail. Sound is exact opposite of "smoothing over." This is definitely not what what I usually hear with upsampling.

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 6
My impressions is from the various M-Audio, emu, RME, and external DACs I've used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back