Holy Batman! This PINT kicks freakin' butt!!!
Sep 19, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
seconded...or fourthed...or tenthed (?!) on the beauty of the PINT. if built well, it sounds fantastic. here are pics of my misterx built PINT/alien DAC, which have found a permanent home with my home computer rig (attached to my laptop here but the PINT/DAC hardly travel with me since i have my portable rig). this sub-$225 duo is one fantastic little amp-DAC combo!

laptoprig1.jpg

laptoprig2.jpg

Wait a minute... there's a paired DAC for this thing??? Can that thing still be had???

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
There are other such amps available today . . . Go-Vibe v5 and Xenos 0HA-REP to name two.
I think it is more that we easily get into the trap of "more is better", "if it cost more it must be better", and "if this sounds so good then the other must sound that much better"

I agree and I gave the Hornet a listen and I've tried 3 IEM's in the past month and I'm no longer taking recommendations any further than just a recommendation. I bought the Pint based on a recommendation and wanted to see for myself. I wasn't expecting much but I never expected to be this happy. I think out of all the amps I've ever purchased I've never been happier. I'm definitely getting into the habit of trying and then deciding.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #32 of 230
Quote:

seconded...or fourthed...or tenthed (?!) on the beauty of the PINT. if built well, it sounds fantastic. here are pics of my misterx built PINT/alien DAC, which have found a permanent home with my home computer rig (attached to my laptop here but the PINT/DAC hardly travel with me since i have my portable rig). this sub-$225 duo is one fantastic little amp-DAC combo!

laptoprig1.jpg

laptoprig2.jpg

A po' mans MicroStack!! I love it! Now I wish I'd known of this when I was having my pint made. That setup is very nice, indeed! How are you connecting to the laptop with the dac? Btw, I've gone through every drawer in my daughters room looking for those hair thingys to put my ZVM and Pint together securely. What sort of straps are those? Finding one to fit at just the right tension ain't so easy to find.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #33 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
A po' mans MicroStack!! I love it! Now I wish I'd known of this when I was having my pint made. That setup is very nice, indeed! How are you connecting to the laptop with the dac? Btw, I've gone through every drawer in my daughters room looking for those hair thingys to put my ZVM and Pint together securely. What sort of straps are those? Finding one to fit at just the right tension ain't so easy to find.

yeah, a microstack at a third of the price!
smily_headphones1.gif
the alien DAC is still available and is only USB...not the 15 million connection options of the micro-DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

one rubber band and one hair band - i used to have long hair (up until a month ago) that i liked wearing up in samurai-style, so i have a bunch of these bands (which my wife "lent" me)...now i have two rubber bands on there, i believe. i was also thinking that those "live strong" bands might work as well, but i don't have one so don't know how elastic they are.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #34 of 230
Quote:

i was also thinking that those "live strong" bands might work as well, but i don't have one so don't know how elastic they are.

If those are the wrist bands they sell for various causes, then yes they fit. I have used them to hold my RiO to my amp. They are not very elastic, but enough to do the job if they are close in size.

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #35 of 230
Here is my Mister X pint that I just bought from Ichiro. This thing is awesome. I have not had a lot of time with it, but let me say that I maybe putting my Microamp for sale soon. This setup is AD8397 L&R, LM6172 ground. Not as warm as my Microamp, but more air and open. If I could just get a little more bass.
basshead.gif

I am also going to get the Alien Dac. Just need more money.

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #36 of 230
I love my PINT too, for its sound. I was thinking about an "m" hornet though, because the PINT's build quality isnt that great, and it REALLY chews through batteries, i go through 2 rechargable 250mah 9v in about 2-4 hours.

The "m" hornet will have ajustable gain, great for my newly arriving e500's, great build quality, and improved battery life.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 230
Heh, and you wonder why Filbert and me have been screaming PINT! in all the "which portable amp should I get?" But the Hornet always wins out.
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #38 of 230
Congrats, volcomjerk!

Glad you found the amp that lets your audio spirits
pla4_anm.gif
...soar!

...leaves a good bit of
dollar.gif
at your discretion...

...and makes you one Happy Cat!
hapycat.gif

That's the whole point of this happy hobby. Good one, mate.

(Hope I get to hear one of these sometime soon.)

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #39 of 230
Quote:

...misterx built PINT/alien DAC
laptoprig2.jpg

Now that's the size DAC I'd be happy to carry. How much $ is it, have you compared it to anything familiar and can you relate anything in that regard? (Don't want to detract from volcomjerk's enthusiasm, but I'm really curious about the Alien. Love the green cable, too.)

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #41 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Now that's the size DAC I'd be happy to carry. How much $ is it, have you compared it to anything familiar and can you relate anything in that regard? (Don't want to detract from volcomjerk's enthusiasm, but I'm really curious about the Alien. Love the green cable, too.)

haven't done any real hard-core listening with it since i'm busily finishing a dissertation
wink.gif
but you should email misterx for price and specs...

as for some quick thoughts on the sound...it's nowhere near as good as the channel islands VDA1/VAC1 modwrighted combo i used to have, but at a fraction of the price, this amp holds its own...it's powered by the USB bus and there may be slightly more noise than if i had a dedicated PSU, but no biggie. it's small enough to actually be portable. i'll need to test it with some other DACs to get a sense of the sound sig...will test it against the DAC-AH one of these days. i think it's a great performer for the size and price...

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #42 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
Here is my Mister X pint that I just bought from Ichiro. This thing is awesome. I have not had a lot of time with it, but let me say that I maybe putting my Microamp for sale soon. This setup is AD8397 L&R, LM6172 ground. Not as warm as my Microamp, but more air and open. If I could just get a little more bass.
basshead.gif

I am also going to get the Alien Dac. Just need more money.

Glad you're enjoying the pint. I really enjoyed it while I had it and I'm glad it has a new loving home.

For those interested in the pint/alien dac combo I had a special combo made by misterx. I posted pics in another thread but here they are again. It's a desktop pint powered by a tread in mini^3 configuration with two 8397 opamps. The dac is a standard alien dac with external power instead of usb power. The combo is quite amazing and as kugino said for about a third the cost of the microstack it holds its own (yes, I've owned the microstack with a 2006 desktop module in the amp).

pint-front.jpg

pint-back.jpg

pint-top.jpg

Sep 20, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #43 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiro
Glad you're enjoying the pint. I really enjoyed it while I had it and I'm glad it has a new loving home.

For those interested in the pint/alien dac combo I had a special combo made by misterx. I posted pics in another thread but here they are again. It's a desktop pint powered by a tread in mini^3 configuration with two 8397 opamps. The dac is a standard alien dac with external power instead of usb power. The combo is quite amazing and as kugino said for about a third the cost of the microstack it holds its own (yes, I've owned the microstack with a 2006 desktop module in the amp).

pint-front.jpg

pint-back.jpg

pint-top.jpg

nice setup, ichiro...next time i'm home visiting my family i'll have to bother you for a listen!

i went with the USB power b/c i wanted a portable laptop solution...i'd love to hear the alien with a dedicated PSU...

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #44 of 230
Quote:

nice setup, ichiro...next time i'm home visiting my family i'll have to bother you for a listen!

i went with the USB power b/c i wanted a portable laptop solution...i'd love to hear the alien with a dedicated PSU...

Well, next time you're on Oahu let me know. I'm always ready to listen to other people's rigs and get their opinions on mine.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #45 of 230
Wow this thread is realy interesting!
I just bought a MisterX portable Pimeta, i don't know the op-amp specification and all but i would like to know how do they compare, i have the clear blue cased p Pimeta. BTW the Pint look good as hell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back