Holy Batman! This PINT kicks freakin' butt!!!
Sep 19, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 230
Hey guys I just wanted to let you guys know that I got mine from MisterX but please do not send PM's over to him. I was just told that the Pint boards are no longer being made and he can't build what he can't get. I just happened to be VERY lucky to get the last one (and boy do I feel lucky!)

I'd say go check out the Go-Vibe V5 those seem to be similar builds and a lot of people are happy with that amp.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
Hey guys I just wanted to let you guys know that I got mine from MisterX but please do not send PM's over to him. I was just told that the Pint boards are no longer being made and he can't build what he can't get. I just happened to be VERY lucky to get the last one (and boy do I feel lucky!)

I'd say go check out the Go-Vibe V5 those seem to be similar builds and a lot of people are happy with that amp.

Which is why I am not usually running aroung here shouting the praises of the PINT and recommending them to all. Although a shame, the reality is that it is (for now) a dead issue. (unless someone has some boards left). And yes, I do feel fortunate to have gotten one, it is unlikely to leave.

If I had not gotten my PINT, I'd probably be on the Go-Vibe train
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
There's some serious endorsements in this thread. Sounds like a fantasic camp. Can you guys elaborate on a little about what you like better about the Pint in relation to the Hornet?

What's the battery life like with rechargeables?

Compared to the hornet .... the PINT has a bigger and more precise soundstage, better dynamics, better bass and a much greater degree of coherency and refinement. The sound of the PINT is very seamless compared to the hornet .... which seemed alternately congested in the lower mids and to harsh in the lower/ mid treble during my audition.

I believe if someone started producing the PINT as a commercial product the prices of the other portables would have to drop .... or they would simply not make any sales. My PINT cost $110 shipped, including the wall wart power supply and a rechargeable battery .... and totally outperformed the $350 hornet. I truly hope someone revives or refines this design for commercial sale.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Which is why I am not usually running aroung here shouting the praises of the PINT and recommending them to all. Although a shame, the reality is that it is (for now) a dead issue. (unless someone has some boards left). And yes, I do feel fortunate to have gotten one, it is unlikely to leave.

If I had not gotten my PINT, I'd probably be on the Go-Vibe train
biggrin.gif

I figured they were rare but not discontinued and I'm sorry for shouting praise about it but I think people need to know that you don't have to spend a crap load of money to have great sound on the go.

If my thread isn't about the Pint it's about getting the most out of your money.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 230
Quote:

I figured they were rare but not discontinued and I'm sorry for shouting praise about it but I think people need to know that you don't have to spend a crap load of money to have great sound on the go.

If my thread isn't about the Pint it's about getting the most out of your money.

oh hon, I am not saying anything negative about you or the thread (sorry if it sounded like that, it was not intended) . . . more like mentioning why I have not been 'sharing the joy'.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 230
The pint with that OP amp is a stellar RS1 amp IMHO. Easily outperforms other amps at 1/4 the price.

There are many who agree with your findings... and lets just leave it at that.
Garrett

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #23 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The pint with that OP amp is a stellar RS1 amp IMHO. Easily outperforms other amps at 1/4 the price.

There are many who agree with your findings... but the head-fi "black cloud" prevents many from expressing it.

Garrett

Well this so called "black cloud" is just plain wrong and people should not be swindled into spending more money than they need to get happy ears. To me that's just plain robbery and many people need to know about these awesome DIY amps.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 230
Quote:

Well this so called "black cloud" is just plain wrong and people should not be swindled into spending more money than they need to get happy ears. To me that's just plain robbery and many people need to know about these awesome DIY amps.

I don't think that it is wrong to praise a discontinued product, I will say that there are products that are quite discontinued, but that still evoke comparable levels of praise or even more substaintial praise. IMO just so long as people are made aware of it, it's fine.

Given that they are being currently produced I also am still quite curious about the Go Vibe 5, as that seems to be one of the closer mates to the PINT.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 230
Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it robbery, so long as the head-fi consumers are aware of what they are paying for. Threads such as this, so long as they are courteous and professional help to educate the consumer.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
While I wouldn't necessarily call it plain robbery I will say that there are products that are quite discontinued, but that still evoke comparable levels of praise or even more substaintial praise. IMO just so long as people are made aware of it, it's fine. Given that they are being currently produced I also am still quite curious about the Go Vibe 5.

Definitely agree, but if this "black cloud" is what I think it is and lets just say this thread is buried to protect other competitors then yes I would call it robbery because that's like taking money from someone who doesn't know any better.

If no one were to know that there are amps that can indeed be had for cheap and sound just as good or better, then this forum isn't what I thought it was.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #28 of 230
seconded...or fourthed...or tenthed (?!) on the beauty of the PINT. if built well, it sounds fantastic. here are pics of my misterx built PINT/alien DAC, which have found a permanent home with my home computer rig (attached to my laptop here but the PINT/DAC hardly travel with me since i have my portable rig). this sub-$225 duo is one fantastic little amp-DAC combo!

laptoprig1.jpg

laptoprig2.jpg

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 230
Quote:

If no one were to know that there are amps that can indeed be had for cheap and sound just as good or better, then this forum isn't what I thought it was.

I think that's the point. While in some cases a substaintial amount of money is warranted, other times it isn't. I do think that the PINT is/was one of those great values.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #30 of 230
Quote:

There are other such amps available today . . . Go-Vibe v5 and Xenos 0HA-REP to name two.
I think it is more that we easily get into the trap of "more is better", "if it cost more it must be better", and "if this sounds so good then the other must sound that much better"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back