Holy Batman! This PINT kicks freakin' butt!!!
Sep 19, 2006 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 230

volcomjerk

100+ Head-Fier
First off let me say that my wallet has never been happier and my ears are twice as happy. I got my Pint off MisterX with dual LM6127 opamps so it's pretty much maxed out. $125 got me a rechargeable battery, an AC Adapter and the Amp.

I previously had a Ray Samuel's Hornet and for me it wasn't producing $350 dollar sound. So I decided to see what $125 could get me after hearing many good things about the Pint and recommendations from others. I know many are happy with their Hornet's but for people who just didn't feel like their money was well spent with the Hornet than look no further and give a Pint a shot. I'm not sure how readily available they are so I might have been lucky but I hear a Go-Vibe V5 is similar in build and quality but don't take my word for it since I've never heard/seen one.

My setup is an iPod 5G Generation 2 with a Turbo Dock IV Diabolous using 128/192 kbps AAC VBR / ALAC files listening with Westone UM2 IEM's.

This amp is really well built, no moving parts and the casing is simple and durable, no branding or nothing just a small black amp. It's actually smaller than I thought it would be. One thing I probably might do is replace the philips screws with thumb screws for easy access to the battery compartment.

As soon as I plugged in everything and got my favorite song ready I was in portable audio bliss. Let's just say I haven't felt like this since I properly amped my Grado SR-60's. I immediately noticed much fuller sound and the bass definitely had more kick and the highs sounded much more tamed than coming straight out of the iPod. I didn't think my UM2's could get much better but they did. There wasn't too much soundstage and I think that's a limitation of the UM2's rather than the amp itself but I'm sure it'd be there if someone used some E500's paired with a Pint. I'm not very good at putting words to what I hear but all I can say is that I'm in love again and I think this completes my portable rig. If I could describe the Pint in 1 word I'd call it fun and that's what this hobby is about to me. It's about having fun. It's not about having the most accurate sound or feel/hear the singer is spitting on my face as some would describe it haha.

This is a perfect example that speaks leaps and bounds about the price of audio equipment that more expensive is not always better. I thank Ray for allowing me to hear his amp and providing me a full refund but it just wasn't making me happy. Mainly because I couldn't notice much a of a difference unless I really concentrated and I don't find it fun to try really hard to hear a difference. Upon turning on the Pint, I could tell the difference immediately. I don't want to wait 300+ hours to see if there's even a slight difference in sound. Even if this amp isn't a desktop amp in your pocket, it's made me really happy and I couldn't be happier with the sound.

Thanks also go out to MisterX for fast shipping and a great little amp!

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 230
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your purchase. I take it the price is for a new amp? Is it smaller than the Hornet?

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 230
I also recently purchased a PINT and previously owned a Hornet (original config) and I have to agree. The PINT is defintely a good design that can compete with the big boys. While I can't speak for the M version I feel that the PINT that I have now is a amp that is better sounding than the Hornet I owned previously.

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your purchase. I take it the price is for a new amp? Is it smaller than the Hornet?

I'm pretty sure it's new but it's a DIY and there was TINY scratches on the top I still need to ask MisterX if it was used or just built.

I'll post pics of it when I get home. I'm currently enjoying it at work
eggosmile.gif

It's NOT smaller than the Hornet but it's not much bigger. It's A LOT smaller than I thought it would be. I think the Hornet or XIN's designs take the cake for smaller designs but crap for $125 it's simply stunning.

Quote:

While I can't speak for the M version I feel that the PINT that I have now is a amp that is better sounding than the Hornet I owned previously.

I had the M version and I don't know what the old Hornet sounded like but I'm 10x happier with my Pint.

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
I had the M version and I don't know what the old Hornet sounded like but I'm 10x happier with my Pint.

As am I
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 230
Great impressions...makes me want to finish up my half-built PINT
eggosmile.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I also got a PINT from Mister X, and it is indeed awesome
biggrin.gif

MyPINT.jpg

right-purdy ain't it
wink.gif

Your amp is straight up HOT. Mine is all black. I should think about painting mine since it's a DIY.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 230
Haven't heard the Hornet but me 3 on the Pint. Very nice little unit indeed. Here are a couple of pics for those who enjoy such foolishness. The all black with shuffle is one taken by MisterX. His photo skills are far better than mine.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
Your amp is straight up HOT. Mine is all black. I should think about painting mine since it's a DIY.

Of course it is, I'm a girl
biggrin.gif

So Mister X would not make me an ugly amp!
wink.gif

I keep it in a stretch denim 'sleeve' I made so it doesn't get scratched

DSCN0182.jpg

The velcro cable wraps give me a way to attach it without the gooey mess of the stick-on velcro's.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 230
There's some serious endorsements in this thread. Sounds like a fantasic camp. Can you guys elaborate on a little about what you like better about the Pint in relation to the Hornet?

What's the battery life like with rechargeables?

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 230
I'd like the opportunity to hear a hornet someday but until then, all I can do is comment on your question re: battery life. My measurements aren't totally precise but as my pint is paired with my ZVM, I can say that it's close to that. I get about 11 hours of straight playing time with the ZVM with the EQ active and the volume set at 21 of 25. The pint went at least 10.5 hours before I noticed any sort of degradation.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Christy
Any hints as to who we have to contact to buy one of these?

eggosmile.gif

. . . they are hard to come by as Tangent pulled the PINT project, but there were still some boards floating around. You have to either find a used one or a builder who has boards left.
You could try posting a WTB ad in the amps-for-sale forum.

I've gotten over 8 hours, but never bothered to see what the max was. It is much better since I had the 8397 chips replaced with the LM6172, sounds a little warmer and less aggressive too (better with my cans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back