Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #1,471 of 1,924
From what I understand is the “old” red + software suppprts Roon. The new Red + Software doesn’t.

Roon certification in progress. When certification with Roon is completed a software update will become available.

Technically the “old” software and new software are the same, both are maintained for now.

I have installed Ropieee on my new Red. Works great with Roon.

I have tried Ropieeexl and with Roon it works without a problem. But Jriver does not see the Holo Red and I don't know how to configure upnp/dlna in Ropieeexl so that it works for me.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #1,472 of 1,924
From what I understand is the “old” red + software suppprts Roon. The new Red + Software doesn’t.

Roon certification in progress. When certification with Roon is completed a software update will become available.

Technically the “old” software and new software are the same, both are maintained for now.

Thank you for your input--I appreciate it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #1,473 of 1,924
@EMINENT
Just an FYI--The serial# on the Red configuration page is not the units serial#--as mention afterwards in two different posts, it's on both--the box as well as on the Red itself. Unfortunately, for now my Red is not compatible with this software update being the first four digits of my serial# are below 2305.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #1,474 of 1,924
i wonder if anyone has compared the red with other streamers like eversolo a6 on a holo chain? (I have spring and bliss) Ive read comments in other forum and seems like holo red is leaning toward the brighter end of the spectrum? (And... ive also read similar with A6)..

Or if someone who came from ifi zen stream for example? Just hoping to find more comments directly from someone who may have compared or owned both

Only reason im still holding back from red is it doesnt have wifi and its not as easy to route a lan cable to where my system is.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #1,475 of 1,924

Where did you read that the Holo Streamer no longer supports Roon ? Has anyone confirmed this? It sounds hard to believe. The Kitsube website still notes Roon as compatible.

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-red-ddc-network-streamer/

Streaming servicesRoon, Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Web radios

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #1,478 of 1,924
For me I don't bother with software from Holo, for those who seriously want to improve what is already great with Red, look no further and use Gentooplayer (if can +diretta), it's really much better than all other software in the market. Disclaimer: I don't own or support by Gentooplayer, just happy customer, I paid full for the 5 rpi hardware base license.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #1,479 of 1,924
Where did you read that the Holo Streamer no longer supports Roon ? Has anyone confirmed this? It sounds hard to believe. The Kitsube website still notes Roon as compatible.

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-red-ddc-network-streamer/

Streaming servicesRoon, Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Web radios

This is not what I wrote. 😉. I was told: For now Roon is not available on the Red because the Red is pending certification at Roon. When ready an online update will be prepared and Roon will be availabele. Just run the update function on the Red by then.

If you would like to use Roon now on the new Red you can use e.g. Ropieee https://ropieee.org Works out of the box.

Or indeed Gentoo player https://gentooplayers.com/ as suggested which is not for free but is definitely worth it.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #1,480 of 1,924
i wonder if anyone has compared the red with other streamers like eversolo a6 on a holo chain? (I have spring and bliss) Ive read comments in other forum and seems like holo red is leaning toward the brighter end of the spectrum? (And... ive also read similar with A6)..

Or if someone who came from ifi zen stream for example? Just hoping to find more comments directly from someone who may have compared or owned both

Only reason im still holding back from red is it doesnt have wifi and its not as easy to route a lan cable to where my system is.

I compared the Red with dmp-a8 and Red is not brighter, not at all, it is the opposite in my comparison. The Red is more relaxed which makes it a good fit with my May.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #1,481 of 1,924
Nothing in terms of hardware, according to Wildism Audio. However, I've tried the new image on my RED and although it does boot up, it doesn't work. I wonder why.
My Red boots up fine, recognises the dac but then freezes in 20-30sec. Pictures of the new OS conf page:

Attachments

• HoloRed 2024-01-28 130634.png
    HoloRed 2024-01-28 130634.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • HoloRed 2024-01-28 130725.png
    HoloRed 2024-01-28 130725.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HoloRed 2024-01-28 130759.png
    HoloRed 2024-01-28 130759.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #1,483 of 1,924
Jan 28, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,484 of 1,924
This is not what I wrote. 😉. I was told: For now Roon is not available on the Red because the Red is pending certification at Roon. When ready an online update will be prepared and Roon will be availabele. Just run the update function on the Red by then.

If you would like to use Roon now on the new Red you can use e.g. Ropieee https://ropieee.org Works out of the box.

Or indeed Gentoo player https://gentooplayers.com/ as suggested which is not for free but is definitely worth it.
Roon worked on the first batch of REDs just fine....

The whole certification process by Roon is a load of steaming 💩 and completely pointless. What are they going to do? Abseil down from a black hawk helicopter and assassinate me for installing RoonBridge (software that they themselves freely distribute) on an "unapproved" computer? And how would that be any different than Holo including it with their RedOS?

I'm sorry, but I've got 2 objects in a sack that Roon can suck on.

Just install an older version of the Red software?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,485 of 1,924
Hi… new here. Just received my red. Works fine using spdif into my MHDT Pagoda DAC. I believe I reconfigured correctly to use the USB out from the red to the usb in to the dac however it only plays CD quality not hi res when I stream via JPLAY (steaming qobuz and Tidal). When I stream Hi Res I get static or no sound At all. When I contacted MHDT, they told me the pagoda does not decode DSD. Am I doing something wrong, is there a work around. The USB cable sounded noticeably better on cd quality so I want to use it instead of the spdif. Apologies if this has been previously addressed but I could not find it on the thread . Appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back