Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #1,441 of 1,883
I resolved my issue of Roon RAAT not playing through Red to the Eversolo Dac-Z8. I have edited my post above, but I will further elaborate here. I am new to Roon, so I am still trying to understand how everything works. I think it needs several quality of life and usability improvements and this is definitely one of them. The short answer is the output of Eversolo DAC-Z8 was essentially locked out from being identified through the Holo Red output because it was already enabled as a local output device on my Roon server computer.

I had to disable the Eversolo DAC-Z8 as a local output device before it could be identified as a Roon RAAT endpoint through the Holo Red USB connection. This is pretty clunky as the Eversolo DAC-Z8 was not connected to the local Roon server, and it had not been connected for awhile. But I had once upon a time connected the DAC-Z8 directly to my Roon server by USB. I see no reason as to why it should be locked into being "enabled" on the local system when it was not connected anyway. Once I disabled the Roon server local connection to the Eversolo DAC-Z8, Roon identified the DAC-Z8 through its USB connection to the Holo Red using RAAT. So this is what I want and it is working.

Now my playback chain works as intended.

Code:
Roon Server RAAT --> Holo Red Ethernet --> Holo Red USB-A --> Eversolo DAC-Z8 USB-B --> XLR Headamp

Attachments

• Roon-outputs-confusion.jpg
    Roon-outputs-confusion.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #1,444 of 1,883
How does the Holo Red compare to recent streamers like LUMIN U2 Mini etc?
I previously owned the U2 mini and prefer the Red mainly for its NAA / HQPlayer support, support for DSD512 and PCM1535, and smaller desktop footprint.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #1,446 of 1,883
Been happy with my Holo Red using Ropieee so far, no hiccups. But out of curiosity I wanted to try Red OS again, only to find out that it's really difficult to find the download for Red OS. And since I installed Ropieee on the SD card that came with the Red I had no other option than to search. Eventually I was able to find a download link for Red OS on KitsuneHiFi's product page for the Red, it just was "hidden" using CSS style tags for some reason. Anyways, Here's the link in case it helps someone else in a similar predicament as I was in. And if you don't trust my link you can find it yourself if you go to the Red's product page on KitsuneHiFi, right click, inspect, CTRL+F, type "red os", scroll down a bit on the elements pane, and click the link that's right below where "Red OS" is highlighted. That link is the same link I've provided above, but if you're paranoid like I can be with links I won't blame you if you take the "scenic" route lol.

Hope this helps and happy listening!

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #1,449 of 1,883
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #1,450 of 1,883
Been happy with my Holo Red using Ropieee so far, no hiccups. But out of curiosity I wanted to try Red OS again, only to find out that it's really difficult to find the download for Red OS. And since I installed Ropieee on the SD card that came with the Red I had no other option than to search. Eventually I was able to find a download link for Red OS on KitsuneHiFi's product page for the Red, it just was "hidden" using CSS style tags for some reason. Anyways, Here's the link in case it helps someone else in a similar predicament as I was in. And if you don't trust my link you can find it yourself if you go to the Red's product page on KitsuneHiFi, right click, inspect, CTRL+F, type "red os", scroll down a bit on the elements pane, and click the link that's right below where "Red OS" is highlighted. That link is the same link I've provided above, but if you're paranoid like I can be with links I won't blame you if you take the "scenic" route lol.

Hope this helps and happy listening!
Thanks great find! ...Kitsune's website leaves a lot to be desired, confirming the link element is hidden on the Kitsune website via the screenshot below.

1706051956487.png

My Red should arrive in a week or so, I hope the OS is newer than 12/28/2022!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #1,451 of 1,883
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,452 of 1,883
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #1,453 of 1,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back