Holo Audio Red Streamer
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #736 of 1,924
I am using a Holo Spring 3 in NOS with i2S and get no popping either. Swapping between DSD and PCM in my playlist in Moode.
I get a very slight pause (around 0.5 of a second) switching between DSD to PCM tracks and then it plays. PLL is off.
Might be dependent upon the player one is using. I'm using Squeezelite and unfortunately, the configuration file is not accessible. I think it lacks the necessary pause when switching formats.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #737 of 1,924
Nice story... as a I restart HQP OS again after still losing control.
I meant for your Roon server, but thanks for the oh so clever sarcasm… really makes people inclined to help you.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #738 of 1,924
I meant for your Roon server, but thanks for the oh so clever sarcasm… really makes people inclined to help you.

Do yourself a favor and experience trouble free months of uptime.

Oh, my bad I took that as a jab to Windows and responded accordingly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #739 of 1,924
Got Holo Red few days ago. Tried as a streamer with usb, i2s, and coax connected to may kte. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Cable matters. I replaced stock pc with zu event pc, heard more focused sound. Clarity upticked
2. All outputs sounded roughly the same to me but I like coax as it sounds most open and smooth
3. I was using macbook pro before red and I didn't hear out of this world difference. Sure, red brought upticks on clarity, openness, and imaging. This tells me, may does really a good job of noise and jitter handling at input stages

Gonna run red few more days to burnin and see how it improves.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #741 of 1,924
Just tried DDC. Macbook pro > Supra Excalibur USB cable > Holo Red > Audioquest Carbon Coax cable > Holo May KTE.

My impression with this connection is instant upgrade in realism. Fuller and more composed sound. Simply Awsome.. May be I need a better router or ethernet cable, or both to beat the DDC setup. Not gonna try it though, I am happy with DDC performance 😀

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #742 of 1,924
Did someone compared the Red with the Mano ULTRA mk2/mk3 and has some impressions?
The Mano Ultra mk2 or mk3 are on a different level. The Mano Ultra mk3 is truly amazing in terms of sound quality. The Red is more versatile (can also work as DDC) and supports higher resolutions including DSD.
It very much depends on your needs.
I am not interested in DSD and want to stream Qobuz or Tidal and my local music library with best sound quality possible for a reasonable price. This is how I ended up with the Mano Ultra mk3.

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #743 of 1,924
The Mano Ultra mk2 or mk3 are on a different level. The Mano Ultra mk3 is truly amazing in terms of sound quality. The Red is more versatile (can also work as DDC) and supports higher resolutions including DSD.
It very much depends on your needs.
I am not interested in DSD and want to stream Qobuz or Tidal and my local music library with best sound quality possible for a reasonable price. This is how I ended up with the Mano Ultra mk3.
I dosent use DSD neither. Personaly i dont need a DDC if i can also bypass the usb output by using a different source with I2S. I just wonder if the Red sounds as a Streamer better than the simlar priced Mano Ultra mk2. And does a better fuse like the purple one, imptove the sound quality?

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #746 of 1,924
Had my Red for a bit over a week now and I'm very pleased with it! Using it as a UPNP end point with the stock OS and it sounds fantastic. I've played around with some of the outputs, and with my gear (Spring 3 KTE), I find that using the USB out is definitely the best. i2s is a close second, but I find it a bit harsh or bright.

Set up was easy and straight forward, just popped the SD card in, plugged in USB and ethernet, and I was basically good to go. I use LMS for playback with the upnpbridge, so that did take a minimal amount of set up. Just had to apply the "normal mode" preset and tweak a few things; raise the maximum sample rate, enable 24bit, and rename it. Couldn't be easier (except if I used the squeezebox output on the Red, but I don't think it sounds as good as upnp).

Very happy with the Red.

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #747 of 1,924
I use LMS for playback with the upnpbridge,
Yes, I am really impressed by the sound quality of this combination. I really wasn't expecting this.

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #748 of 1,924
Update available for the Red this morning, no idea what it contains. Has anyone given this a try yet?

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #749 of 1,924
Update available for the Red this morning, no idea what it contains. Has anyone given this a try yet?
I try the update but it stays stopped without doing anything

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #750 of 1,924
I try the update but it stays stopped without doing anything
Tried it here and it doesn't update, maybe the link is bad or the server is down? I just closed the web page to clear the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back