Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #526 of 1,914
This is a great way to invalidate any home/contents insurance you may have.
Please don't do this
I know engineers put fuses for security. My post was just to suggest a temporary experiment.
HI fi Fuses are relatively expensive.
if their quality is important to SQ, I think the designers should install better fuses or find a way to replace the function.

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #528 of 1,914
I really wish HQP NAA did not do this. It is literally the only irritation I have with the otherwise superior experience of using Red as a streamer, with USB out to May.

I like to move between Roon upsampling and HQP fairly frequently.

Yes it's frustrating. I use Roon -> RAAT/RoonBridge when doing multi-room playback ('party' mode?) and Roon -> HQP/NAA when doing single system critical listening in my primary room. So what I do is run RoonBridge via SPDIF to my DAC, and HQP/NAA via USB to the same DAC. The Holo RED can be setup to do this this in one box and I was hoping to reduce boxes/cables/LPS.

But so far, I have had some brief pops/hiccups with DSD256 via NAA on the RED OS and can't get my Intona to work after it. If I have to go back to separate pieces of gear for better stability and sound quality so be it. I am coming back to the realization that running a highly optimized NAA RAMfs image on a low power 5V device is likely going to offer the best USB sound quality possible.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #531 of 1,914
Yes it's frustrating. I use Roon -> RAAT/RoonBridge when doing multi-room playback ('party' mode?) and Roon -> HQP/NAA when doing single system critical listening in my primary room. So what I do is run RoonBridge via SPDIF to my DAC, and HQP/NAA via USB to the same DAC. The Holo RED can be setup to do this this in one box and I was hoping to reduce boxes/cables/LPS.

But so far, I have had some brief pops/hiccups with DSD256 via NAA on the RED OS and can't get my Intona to work after it. If I have to go back to separate pieces of gear for better stability and sound quality so be it. I am coming back to the realization that running a highly optimized NAA RAMfs image on a low power 5V device is likely going to offer the best USB sound quality possible.
It would be nice to know if the Intona made a difference, but then from what I hear I can live without knowing.
I run the ASDM7ECv2 modulator with 256 without issue, very smooth.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #532 of 1,914
It would be nice to know if the Intona made a difference, but then from what I hear I can live without knowing.
I run the ASDM7ECv2 modulator with 256 without issue, very smooth.

After some further listening time, I am having trouble discerning much difference between the RED OS NAA vs dedicated NAA Intel mini-pc, except that on occasion I get a light pop from the RED like dust on vinyl. As per prior posts, this implies the occasional USB outbound packet loss (125µs). I *never* get this with the dedicated NAA mini-pc. This was also an issue on RPi3 based endpoints due to ethernet/usb bus but Jussi has said that the RPi4 doesn't have these issues. So I am a bit surprised. Will try and run an NAA image on the RED and see if that makes a difference.

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #533 of 1,914
After some further listening time, I am having trouble discerning much difference between the RED OS NAA vs dedicated NAA Intel mini-pc, except that on occasion I get a light pop from the RED like dust on vinyl. As per prior posts, this implies the occasional USB outbound packet loss (125µs). I *never* get this with the dedicated NAA mini-pc. This was also an issue on RPi3 based endpoints due to ethernet/usb bus but Jussi has said that the RPi4 doesn't have these issues. So I am a bit surprised. Will try and run an NAA image on the RED and see if that makes a difference.
Every network seems to have its own share of quirks.
The Intona would work if I ran direct via ALSA with USB, no NAA.
I've run NAA on SonicTransporter OS and on a MeLE computer stick and would every now and then get a drop out.
With the RED as NAA, I haven't had one drop, glitch or hiccup while streaming or playing files from SSD.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #535 of 1,914
Just to be 100% certain, are you running an NAA image on the RED or just have NAA enabled in the RED OS? I assume it's the latter.
NAA enabled on the Red.
HQPlayer Embedded 4.34.0 on sonicTransporter

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #536 of 1,914
NAA enabled on the Red.
HQPlayer Embedded 4.34.0 on sonicTransporter
My Sig Rendu SE hasn't been updated to the latest NAA, I assume that the Red is running 4.3.0?

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #538 of 1,914
@intrepidcase @incredulousity as you raised the topic of locking issue with HQPlayer I just wanted to mention that I had been running my Mac Mini M1 with both Roon and HQPlayer Server into my Spring 3 KTE via USB and I was able to seemlessly switch between Roon and HQPlayer.
For people buying streamers such a setup is regarded as inferior though, just wanted to mention that for the sake of convenience it was very nice...

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #539 of 1,914
Some kind of confused.

Synology NAS -minimServer > Streamer ? > DLNA - (BubbleUpNp on IPadpro) > DSD 256/ 512 native (I2S) > HoloAudio Spring 3 KTE

I do prefer I2S /HoloaudioDAC . There are some interesting DSD256 and DSD 512 files on my NAS.

My short Raspi 3/4 experiments with DSD256 and DSD512 were only successful with USB . Not with I2S . Not Dop - not DSD direct worked . (PiAES - Mercury) .

Someone tried IFI NEO stream or Holo RED working reliable with DSD512 direct (native) (Gigbit Ethernet) over I2S > HoloAudioSpring 3 KTE ?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #540 of 1,914
@intrepidcase @incredulousity as you raised the topic of locking issue with HQPlayer I just wanted to mention that I had been running my Mac Mini M1 with both Roon and HQPlayer Server into my Spring 3 KTE via USB and I was able to seemlessly switch between Roon and HQPlayer.
For people buying streamers such a setup is regarded as inferior though, just wanted to mention that for the sake of convenience it was very nice...
Correct. This was the case when doing it with USB for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back