Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #512 of 1,883
Yes. I have.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/optical-isolation-bundle

I purchased the kit from Small Green Computer. I notice a modest incremental improvement in detail, staging, and coherence of imaging. Not nearly as much as happened when going from USB out of computer to May vs. Red as streamer with USB to May.

I don’t have Cat8 cables yet. I have ordered the LHY optical switch https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-sw-10 and will connect the computer to the optical side as well. This device will replace the LPS and FRC on the clean side. I don’t expect much effect here, as the computer connects to the network currently by WiFi.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #513 of 1,883
Thanks.
I currently use ALT2 on RED and 000 on the Terminator. With the Jeffrey Richards Channel Test Tracks disc sent to me by Alvin from Vinshine Audio the channel identification and phase are perfect on PCM tracks and on DSD tracks.
Initially used 00 on Red and 111 on Pontus II - both defaults, but left and right channels were swapped. Then tried your config, on paper it is the right one, the channels were OK, but the right was heavily distorted. Now I'm on 00 on Red an 110 on Pontus II. Weird, but works :)

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #514 of 1,883
Hi,

From where did you get an older Android Tidal Client?

/Goran
First you need to install Aptoide installer on your Android device from here: https://en.aptoide.com/
Then search for Tidal - you'll have versions button (yellow arrow). You'll need to add some security exceptions during the install.

Attachments

• Tidal_Aptoide.jpg
    Tidal_Aptoide.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #515 of 1,883
Initially used 00 on Red and 111 on Pontus II - both defaults, but left and right channels were swapped. Then tried your config, on paper it is the right one, the channels were OK, but the right was heavily distorted. Now I'm on 00 on Red an 110 on Pontus II. Weird, but works :)
This is a mystery. The issue of distortion in the right channel does not happen to me.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #518 of 1,883
Hi Patu,

Yes, I own both the HoloAudiio Red and the iFi Zen Stream and today I also received the iFi Neo Stream. Soon I can give you a comparison of the three!

All three have different sound characters:relaxed:

Rgds

Goran
Give us something already 😅

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #519 of 1,883
Did anyone succeed to play DSD in this setup?

Red > I2S > Gustard or SMSL DAC

With my DI20HE instead of Red this is not possible as these DACs expect a 'DSD flag' on pin 15 and the DI20HE does not send that. Looking at the Red I2S pinouts it does not send anything on pin 15 either, however in the Red manual it says "Set the DIP switch [3] to enable I²S_DSD_ON", so I got my hopes up...

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #520 of 1,883
Audio linux suggests to add the following line also for Red to turn on the real time clock. May be worth trying also.

For Holo Audio RED, add also
dtparam=i2c_vc=on
dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,pcf85063a,i2c_csi_dsi
This is interesting. Why activate VideoCore processor and rtl?
Does anyone know RED's ssh user/password? Would be a bit easier to test these settings.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #521 of 1,883
Yes, the following fuse was included with the RED:

6E309E3D-5388-4C98-B6B4-8A76B6201F47.jpeg A6F4A87B-8D53-429D-8EB2-17EF49139170.jpeg CFC673A2-361E-43F7-954B-1602490ED9BD.jpeg

But the fuse SR Purple, which they gave me for review, is just 4A:

DSC04471.jpg
Hello,
it might be interesting to replace the fuse with a solid wire to hear how it sounds. If standard fuses are not suitable for high-end use, they should be avoided by design or by installing a better quality fuse by the factory.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #522 of 1,883
Hello,
it might be interesting to replace the fuse with a solid wire to hear how it sounds. If standard fuses are not suitable for high-end use, they should be avoided by design or by installing a better quality fuse by the factory.
This is a great way to invalidate any home/contents insurance you may have.
Please don't do this

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #523 of 1,883
Hello,
lets not go to extreme for incremental gains in Hi-fi.
Treat Hi-fi like Hi-fi. There is a reason fuses are installed.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #524 of 1,883
I have a question about how Holo Red Operates. I have two dacs, I use roon + hqplayer NAA(qobuz) and also want to use Spotify (using spotify connect).

My use case is
1. Use USB or Coax connection from Red to one dac and be able to play Roon (RAAT no HQPlayer) and Spotify Connect.
2. Use I2S to Holo May and be able to play Roon + HQplayer (NAA) and Spotify Connect (no HQPlayer)

Is this combination possible over Holo Red without having to restart Holo Red?

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #525 of 1,883
I have a question about how Holo Red Operates. I have two dacs, I use roon + hqplayer NAA(qobuz) and also want to use Spotify (using spotify connect).

My use case is
1. Use USB or Coax connection from Red to one dac and be able to play Roon (RAAT no HQPlayer) and Spotify Connect.
2. Use I2S to Holo May and be able to play Roon + HQplayer (NAA) and Spotify Connect (no HQPlayer)

Is this combination possible over Holo Red without having to restart Holo Red?
To a degree. If USB, you have to remember that, unlike Roon, HQP NAA locks on to a USB device/output and doesn't let go when music is stopped, so the USB output is not available to other sources until HQP is manually shut down. (My only gripe with HQP). (Can't speak to Spotify Connect).

With that in mind, if you use HQP (via NAA) to the true USB output, then you could point ROON (via RoonBridge) to the virtual RED USB output and thus the DDC outputs like I2S, Coax. I was doing this myself and it worked, though I did get a hiccup once. Or vica versa.

But you can't use more than 1 DDC output separately at the same time eg. COAX from one source and I2S from another. That won't work as they both go through the same virtual RED USB output and have the same data.

So in summary, your use case of Coax from Roon and I2S from HQP won't work (unless you manually start/stop HQP to release the output). but USB from Roon and I2S from HQP will work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back