Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 28, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #496 of 1,883
Did you try the Aux power input on the intona?
Maybe the RED isn’t supplying enough juice to the Intona + DAC?

Good idea but as far as I know, the Aux power on the intona feeds the isolated/output side of the Intona, and is separate from input side. The Intona can connect to an input without having an output/dac connected to it. And that has it's own handshake protocol that one can observe via the green LED. Similarly on the output side. Point being that the RED cannot lock onto the Intona properly with or without a DAC on the other side.

One thought I had is that the RED USB output is 3.0 compatible and with the Intona being 3.0 compatible they are trying to make a 3.0 connection with a 2.0 cable. For giggles, I am going to get a $7 3.0 USB cable with the taller 3.0 Type B connector and see if that enables connection. Doubt it, but you never know.
[edit - Intona 3.0 of course connects fine to a USB 3.0 output on a pc with a 2.0 cable so that's not likely the issue]

Alternatively, it would be interesting to know if anyone can get a 2.0 Intona to work with the RED.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #497 of 1,883
Hello! Please rate my review on Holo Audio RED.

Some photos from the review:

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04415.jpg

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #500 of 1,883
Does anyone know if there is a way to do a factory reset or something similar on the Red? I’m really struggling with various issues including the OS page not loading (it will only load once every four or five hard reboots), Roon Bridge not working (only showing Airplay), updates always failing etc.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #501 of 1,883
Does anyone know if there is a way to do a factory reset or something similar on the Red? I’m really struggling with various issues including the OS page not loading (it will only load once every four or five hard reboots), Roon Bridge not working (only showing Airplay), updates always failing etc.
Did you clear all of the updates at the bottom of the page?
Maybe your OS is corrupted?
Did you try to load any other OS other than the Holo supplied?
Maybe the OS needs re-written to the TF ( SD? ) card?
Is the card inserted and seated properly?
Did you power down, unplug power for a hard re-boot?
Could it be your network connection?

Does anyone know if the Red is MQA compliant?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #502 of 1,883
Did you clear all of the updates at the bottom of the page?
Maybe your OS is corrupted?
Did you try to load any other OS other than the Holo supplied?
Maybe the OS needs re-written to the TF ( SD? ) card?
Is the card inserted and seated properly?
Did you power down, unplug power for a hard re-boot?
Could it be your network connection?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The updates wouldn’t work - kept saying ‘Update failed’.

I’ve tried powering down, removing the power cable, Ethernet cable, SD card etc without success.

I’ve also tried on two different networks.

I haven’t tried any other OS but one reason I went for the Holo over, say, the Mercury streamer was to try to avoid messing around with different OSs.

I could try rewriting the Holo OS but not sure if it can be downloaded anywhere?

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #503 of 1,883

I’ve tried powering down, removing the power cable, Ethernet cable, SD card etc without success.

I haven’t tried any other OS but one reason I went for the Holo over, say, the Mercury streamer was to try to avoid messing around with different OSs.

I could try rewriting the Holo OS but not sure if it can be downloaded anywhere?
You don’t need to fiddle with OS in Mercury. It is bundled with OS and is just plug and play. Only if you want to try something else you need to change the OS.

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #504 of 1,883
Fair enough - I prefer RopieeXL to Volumio which I think is default on the Mercury, but understand that’s a personal preference. I was hoping the Holo OS might work sufficiently for me without switching, but perhaps not in my system.

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #505 of 1,883
Fair enough - I prefer RopieeXL to Volumio which I think is default on the Mercury, but understand that’s a personal preference. I was hoping the Holo OS might work sufficiently for me without switching, but perhaps not in my system.
you can ask Michael to bundle RopieeXL as default and he will do the same. There is an option to choose Volumio or RopieeXL while making a purchase. He has both OS hosted on website as well.
I too like simplicity of RopieeXL.
apologies for derailing the thread.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #506 of 1,883
What is the correct fuse for the Holo Red? 1A or 4A?
Thanks

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #507 of 1,883

If you want to rewrite the operating system here is the image
https://josmagnah.stackstorage.com/s/tnzwUaSfHlFtfCnA/en_US
And here the program to create the microSd card
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
Remember that to find the HOLO IP on the internet you have to have the USB cable disconnected.

Good luck in your tests

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #508 of 1,883
I know you provably tried this already and probably it wont work as well, but with sonore rendus sometimes it freezes and need a power cycle off of the entire nerwork chain. When it happened to me, unplugguing just one of the devices or changing the network the rendu was connected wouldnt work. But taking complete power off and back on of everything in the chain (in my case five devices: modem, router, ER and/or opticalmodule, rendu, was the only way it would go back to work. I even took power off and back on the order they are the chain, waiting for the slow modem to pick internet again before turning router on and so on, butmaybe this extra care wasnt really necessary).

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #509 of 1,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back