Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 23, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #466 of 1,883
Anyone here with Holo Red and Denafrips Terminator (or another Denafrips model with configurable i2s)?
What pin configuration do you use on both devices?

Thanks

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #467 of 1,883
Found something interesting.
Using a regular pi4b, ropieeexl latest version with my dac (smsl) and using jriver as a player, i am able to set it such that jriver controls the volume (which is what i prefer for one zone)
Using the red, same ropieexl latest version with the same smsl dac and using jriver player, i am NOT able to control volume.
Either this is a "me" problem (set up issue on the RED?) or its a problem with the RED.

Will do more testing and report back

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #468 of 1,883
Found something interesting.
Using a regular pi4b, ropieeexl latest version with my dac (smsl) and using jriver as a player, i am able to set it such that jriver controls the volume (which is what i prefer for one zone)
Using the red, same ropieexl latest version with the same smsl dac and using jriver player, i am NOT able to control volume.
Either this is a "me" problem (set up issue on the RED?) or its a problem with the RED.
Was able to install ropiee, use jriver as my player and connect the Red via aes to my Dutch 8c's. Exactly as i had hoped i would when buying. Sounds great and allows me out to get out of having to support the schmucks @ Roon

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #470 of 1,883
Received/installed Red. What a gorgeous chunk of pretty metal!

Updated (impressively four updates since 10 Dec.) and connected as streamer, with USB out to May KTE. WiFi router by Cat6 to Red. Computer still WiFi to network. Roon configured as it was previously for M1 MacBook Pro to May by USB. PLL always off.

I thought that my Mac USB output was clean, but this is much better. Noticably more detail, and surprisingly better imaging and staging. This is with theorhetically suboptimal network topology. I will be getting The LHY Optical router, and necessary kit to optically isolate the audio side, both computer and Red. I will reserve final judgement until that is done. I have not tried DDC mode yet. Given how much I like this sound, I may not. Even Apple Airplay2 works perfectly for music and movies. No surround sound, of course, but only an issue for some movies and TV. Haven't critically evaluated for latency yet.

I have no prior experience with streamers, good or bad. This may be a class effect of good streamers, or it may be that Red may be particularly good, given its reportedly ultraclean USB output, measurably on par with Rockna Wavedream Net. In any case, the perceptual difference is not subtle.

Stack is: Puritan PSM156, Red, May KTE, Bliss KTE and Envy. No bad cords or cables. Elite/Empy/Liric/109 Pro/HD800S/CA-1a/ZMF Verite Open/Hedd/Focal Clear Mg

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #472 of 1,883
Thanks.
I currently use ALT2 on RED and 000 on the Terminator. With the Jeffrey Richards Channel Test Tracks disc sent to me by Alvin from Vinshine Audio the channel identification and phase are perfect on PCM tracks and on DSD tracks.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #473 of 1,883
Is there any special setting to make Tidal connect work?

Already tried 3 different Android devices with Tidal app, always see Red Streamer as Tidal connect output, but nothing happens when I choose it. Got the 2022.12.28 OS version.

Edit: Tidal connect fails to connect on Android 13. Works with Android Nougat and an old iOS, so I'm waiting for the Red OS update...

Edit #2: downgrading Tidal app from 2.75 to 2.59.1 helped

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #474 of 1,883
My version is also 2022.12.28. I don't have Tidal.
I use the Holo Audio RED as a streamer.
I control everything from my laptop.
I have Qobuz and I use it from Roon. I also use JRiver and everything works fine for me.
The configuration marked in the web application is the following:
1674773937508.png

I understand that checking Tidal Connect should work but I can't test it since I don't have Tidal.
Sorry

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #475 of 1,883
My Red is all hooked up, but I can't find the IP address of the Red for some reason. It doesn't show up on Fing at all. I got the Red connected to the router via an ethernet cable and USB to the PC. I also tried red.local, but that hasn't connected me to anything yet either.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #476 of 1,883
My Red is all hooked up, but I can't find the IP address of the Red for some reason. It doesn't show up on Fing at all. I got the Red connected to the router via an ethernet cable and USB to the PC. I also tried red.local, but that hasn't connected me to anything yet either.
I use this search engine and it finds the RED IP it without problem. I don't have USB connected to my laptop.

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #477 of 1,883
Stupid question (probably), but did you insert the SD card? My Red came with the SD card separately packaged.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #478 of 1,883
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #479 of 1,883
Is there any special setting to make Tidal connect work?

Already tried 3 different Android devices with Tidal app, always see Red Streamer as Tidal connect output, but nothing happens when I choose it. Got the 2022.12.28 OS version.

Edit: Tidal connect fails to connect on Android 13. Works with Android Nougat and an old iOS, so I'm waiting for the Red OS update...
Hi,

Tidal connect doesn't work from an Android device unfortunately, but it works from a Windows PC Tidal client!

Rgds

Goran

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #480 of 1,883
Is there still anyone with iFi Zen Stream and Holo Red? I'm eagerly waiting for this comparison. Especially if there's any difference in sound quality. @GoldenOne ?
Hi Patu,

Yes, I own both the HoloAudiio Red and the iFi Zen Stream and today I also received the iFi Neo Stream. Soon I can give you a comparison of the three!

All three have different sound characters:relaxed:

Rgds

Goran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back