Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #301 of 1,924
What do you mean it doesn't work seamlessly between the two? It does.
So you can switch between ddc and streamer without shutting it off?

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #302 of 1,924
As much as I can understand, the RED can be used in three scenarios:
1. Streaming to the USB;
2. Streaming to the I2S (by streaming to the virtual USB RED which automatically outputs the stream to the I2S so a DDC takes place); and lastly
3. Converting the USB input to the I2S.
The first two scenarios are possible in the streaming mode. The last one is possible in the DDC only mode. While it is true that you need to shutdown in order to switch between the two modes, I really don' see a problem with this since, TBH, I don't quite get why wouldn't one just stream to the RED's I2S instead of streaming to another streamer which outputs USB to the RED only then to be converted to the I2S.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #303 of 1,924
Just for info. Auralic streamers has similar behavior. You cannot use the USB output and the other digital outputs at the same time. It is necessary to switch between two output modes deep in the Auralic menu settings, either the USB output works, or the other digital outputs (in the case of Auralic COAX, AES/EBU and optical). And there is small "refresh" time needed too, although it is faster than RED (take about 4 sec. to refresh/reboot).

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #304 of 1,924
Just for info. Auralic streamers has similar behavior. You cannot use the USB output and the other digital outputs at the same time. It is necessary to switch between two output modes deep in the Auralic menu settings, either the USB output works, or the other digital outputs (in the case of Auralic COAX, AES/EBU and optical). And there is small "refresh" time needed too, although it is faster than RED (take about 4 sec. to refresh/reboot).
RED actually can output to USB/I2S simultaneously.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #305 of 1,924
Jan 3, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #308 of 1,924
My only question is whether, in DDC mode, the Red has any impact on the sound quality from a Holo Spring DAC. This forum has been pretty quiet in that regard so I aspect the answer is no - unless I've got that wrong :)

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #309 of 1,924
Auralic G1.1 I tested with DAC

(Its a better Zen Stream method)

Whatever you guys say. You have to shut off that device to switch between ddc and streamer.

Where are you headed?

Please enlighten me?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #311 of 1,924
My only question is whether, in DDC mode, the Red has any impact on the sound quality from a Holo Spring DAC. This forum has been pretty quiet in that regard so I aspect the answer is no - unless I've got that wrong :)
In my system, the SQ of RED usb to Holo MAY in streamer mode is better than RED in streamer+DDC mode (AES/I2S/coaxial) to MAY.

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #315 of 1,924
E257B9C7-7585-4DB9-B214-87CD1A5C33EA.jpeg

Would be interesting to be compared with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back