Holo Audio Red Streamer
Feb 3, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #1,516 of 1,977
Streaming / Ethernet will not function as input if USB in is plugged in on boot up. USB in to out does not work to my knowledge. Ethernet to USB out and other outputs works (streaming mode); USB in to all other outputs (except USB out) works (DDC mode).
Yes, I’ve tried that to no avail. I’ve switched to ropieee and not having any problems.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #1,518 of 1,977
When you switch to Ropieee, do you pick something as the hat? I switched and the front light keeps flashing. Is that normal? I just wonder if I configured something wrong.
You’re talking to a complete novice! I bought my Red pre-owned with a pre-flashed micro as card. No HAT is selected in my config, but the device shows up in Roon. Haven’t begun to figure out the rest yet.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,520 of 1,977
Fair enough. Can you tell me if the front light is flashing red?
It flashes intermittently red every now and then over a solid green background light.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,522 of 1,977
Hello,

I have just purchased a Holo Red (from the newer serial number batch starting 2305) and am having all manner of problems!

I've tried several Red OS builds, even managing to update to the Jan 24 version, however when running in streamer mode, without fail it drops the internet connection after 20 -30 seconds irretrievably until the next boot.

I moved on to RopieeeXL where I have been able to make the Holo Red work at least with Roon. However I am faced with 2 problems.

1) Airplay will only play via I2S and not USB out (I do not have the cables to test the other options.

2) I cannot get HQPlayer to work at all via NAA. The red does not appear at all under devices when selecting NAA as the output. I have got the Network "button" active on HQplayer, and I have been running networkaudiod from signalyst.

I thirdly attempted to run HQPlayer OS on the holo red. That has got nowhere at all, and I cannot even access a config page with the Holo Red IP address.

I would appreciate any and all assistance!

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #1,523 of 1,977
@Solasuke
Enter the IP address of the Red from the list of your network devices--enter it in a search engine--then click on (e.g. 196.168.1.2 Admin) from the search results--then delete the URL from that page and paste the IP address in the URL and press enter. This takes me to the configuration page every time I do it this way. Hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #1,524 of 1,977
@Solasuke
Enter the IP address of the Red from the list of your network devices--enter it in a search engine--then click on (e.g. 196.168.1.2 Admin) from the search results--then delete the URL from that page and paste the IP address in the URL and press enter. This takes me to the configuration page every time I do it this way. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. The issue is not locating the IP address, I can do that no problem. It’s the ensuing deluge of software issues that follows which is the sticking point.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #1,525 of 1,977
Hello,

I have just purchased a Holo Red (from the newer serial number batch starting 2305) and am having all manner of problems!

I've tried several Red OS builds, even managing to update to the Jan 24 version, however when running in streamer mode, without fail it drops the internet connection after 20 -30 seconds irretrievably until the next boot.

I moved on to RopieeeXL where I have been able to make the Holo Red work at least with Roon. However I am faced with 2 problems.

1) Airplay will only play via I2S and not USB out (I do not have the cables to test the other options.

2) I cannot get HQPlayer to work at all via NAA. The red does not appear at all under devices when selecting NAA as the output. I have got the Network "button" active on HQplayer, and I have been running networkaudiod from signalyst.

I thirdly attempted to run HQPlayer OS on the holo red. That has got nowhere at all, and I cannot even access a config page with the Holo Red IP address.

About the HQPlayer. You need to install the NAA image, not the OS if you want to run Red as HQP NAA bridge.

And there is no configuration page for the NAA. That’s why you can’t find anything with the ip-address. Just flash the NAA image on the SD, put it in Red and boot. When the light is green, it’s working.

This is the correct NAA image for the Red:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-461-raspberrypi4-holored.7z

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,527 of 1,977
About the HQPlayer. You need to install the NAA image, not the OS if you want to run Red as HQP NAA bridge.

And there is no configuration page for the NAA. That’s why you can’t find anything with the ip-address. Just flash the NAA image on the SD, put it in Red and boot. When the light is green, it’s working.

This is the correct NAA image for the Red:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-461-raspberrypi4-holored.7z
Thank you very much, I’ll shall try that tonight.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #1,528 of 1,977
Hello,

the big thing to remember when using roon and hqplayer is that you need to have the red enabled in only one zone at a time -- so no way to have communication conflicts.

first, when using red os, i'd make sure you're only running hqplayer naa -- nothing else. when using ropieee, you can't have roon bridge and naa enabled at the same.

then go into roon and disable all red-related zones. then go add the hqplayer location in roon. then go enable red naa in roon. then you should be good to go.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,530 of 1,977
Got my Red today and quickly got it updated and configured as NAA in Red OS. Took a few minutes to get HQP playing as I was initially confused by the USB director section in Red OS (not relevant if you're using the Red as an endpoint). The Red is very clean so it was much easier to hear differences in the filters than before.

Gotta love the build quality of the Red - it's incredibly solid. Was ice cold when I brought it in - wonder if it'll sound different once warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back