Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #1,126 of 1,271
Congrats! May I suggest to swap the power supply box with your main unit of May? May main unit need a lot of room due to heat it gives out so good to swap the main unit to the left rack where there's no other equip stack on top. The power supply unit not that warm and thus no issue stacking something on top.

Have heard so many great things about the Holo May - decided to hear for myself what all the fuss was about! Loaner unit before deciding whether to buy.

IMG_1245.jpg

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #1,127 of 1,271
Congrats! May I suggest to swap the power supply box with your main unit of May? May main unit need a lot of room due to heat it gives out so good to swap the main unit to the left rack where there's no other equip stack on top. The power supply unit not that warm and thus no issue stacking something on top.
Thank you - plenty of ventilation in the set-up above - and 250KG of aluminium and granite to dissipate any residual heat. If you think the May gets hot - you can fry an egg on the Orpheus amp....

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #1,128 of 1,271
110v vs 240v. Easy switch?

I'm on the hunt for a Holo May whenever one might crop up to compare to my Dave. Tired of the endless debates that will only be solved by me actually hearing both!
But buying through Classifieds here is my best bet.

Problem: almost all are in the US which will be made for 110v, whereas in the UK we need 240v.

Is it just a matter of changing a fuse inside? I noticed in pics of some Spring DACs there's a sticker on the back explicitly stating the DAC as 110v version. But pictures of the May don't appear to have that which make me wonder if it's just a matter of changing the fuse.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,129 of 1,271
110v vs 240v. Easy switch?

I'm on the hunt for a Holo May whenever one might crop up to compare to my Dave. Tired of the endless debates that will only be solved by me actually hearing both!
But buying through Classifieds here is my best bet.

Problem: almost all are in the US which will be made for 110v, whereas in the UK we need 240v.

Is it just a matter of changing a fuse inside? I noticed in pics of some Spring DACs there's a sticker on the back explicitly stating the DAC as 110v version. But pictures of the May don't appear to have that which make me wonder if it's just a matter of changing the fuse.
Hi - can you borrow one from the local distributor? That's what I did - obviously paying for it - but asking them to hold-off ordering one until the trial was over. I placed my order after 2 days and will hang on to the trial unit for as long as I can (it's that good...). In terms of the voltage - I believe there is a switch for 110/230 (needs fuse) - although they do also make a 240V version.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #1,131 of 1,271
i did this last wekend on my spring, easy.. the fuse itself is on the fusebox next to the power cable connector. got an aftermarket fuse to adjust (2A for 220v, 4A for 110v, 20mm slow blow) and it performs very well. opening the may PS should be even easier as (I assume) you dont need to mind that cable that may disconnect. however I would ask one of the distributors for a pic indicating what screws exacly you need to remove, like the pic in the link above.
edit: BTW, what is th diectionality of the fuse? the one I replaced is not directional , but I forgot to check/take note of the original directionality of the red nano fuse (facing downwards I supose?)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,132 of 1,271
i did this last wekend on my spring, easy.. the fuse itself is on the fusebox next to the power cable connector. got an aftermarket fuse to adjust (2A for 220v, 4A for 110v, 20mm slow blow) and it performs very well. opening the may PS should be even easier as (I assume) you dont need to mind that cable that may disconnect. however I would ask one of the distributors for a pic indicating what screws exacly you need to remove, like the pic in the link above.
edit: BTW, what is th diectionality of the fuse? the one I replaced is not directional , but I forgot to check/take note of the original directionality of the red nano fuse (facing downwards I supose?)
Down to up.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #1,135 of 1,271
May has been out for over 4 years now, I wonder when we can expect a May 2...
Not this year according to Magna Hifi, official distributor in Netherlands.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #1,137 of 1,271
with all the amazing things said about the may, i don't see how a may 2 could be a major upgrade. i think it would just be subtle refinements. how much better can it really get?
Slightly. With new few features like Wandla HQP filters for example.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,139 of 1,271
A clock upgrade would be desirable. The May now has Crystek CVHD-957, which is slightly inferior according to the specs to another Crystek CCHD-957.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back