Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #976 of 1,317
I spoke with Drew of Moon Audio about using multiple amps from one DAC in February. He has a product that does the switching without loss of fidelity. I would suggest you contact Moon Audio and ask to speak with Drew directly. I never ended up getting it, but I do trust Drew for this kind of kit. It will be far better than a simple Y connector.
Do you have a product name / photo / price?

You should also be able to drive one amp with the XLR input and one amp with an RCA input as the May does have one of each.
Haha. I have like 6-7 different amps. Several already driven from RCA through a switcher... :wink:

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #977 of 1,317
Have anyone tried connecting the May to 2 amps using the XLR outputs?
Can it be done with a Y splitter like this?

1690318760455.png

I am not looking to use the amps in parallel, but want to avoid unplugging and replugging every time...
Also, trying to avoid an expensive selector box, such as: https://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html
I use custom made Y splitters on my amp inputs rather than the Spring3 outputs, and like you intend, I only power on one amp at a time. No plugging/unplugging and I've been doing this for as long as I can remember.

You can definitely use two of those splitters on the May outputs, but probably not on the amp inputs because of their (the splitters) very short spread between the male ends. I say this because it would depend on where your inputs are situated on each amp and they most probably wouldn't reach each amps inputs.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #978 of 1,317
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #980 of 1,317
Are those commercially available?
or custom made by a friend?
2X custom made by Audioquest Mackenzie Y splitters.
IMG_0579.jpeg

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #981 of 1,317
Usually the input impedance on an amp is high. When you connect multiple amps to a single output, the resistances and capacitance add in parallel. Resistance drops and capacitance increases. I think the May output impedance is around 27 ohms on the xlr but you should check the output impedance on your preamp if the May is connected to one. Amps usually have high input impedance on their inputs.

If you wish to connect multiple amps and use them one at a time, I strongly suggest you buy a proper switcher for xlr or rca.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #983 of 1,317
Anyone in NY with this Holo DAC?

I used to own this DAC and am very curious how it sounds in my speaker chain. I had used it in my headphone chain and it was lovely. I have departed from my headphone stuff (remaining Abyss TC to be sold in classifieds) and it is a bit of a shame to not have tried this DAC in the 2 channel.

If willing to bring the DAC over to queens NY. I offer to pay $100 to try it in my system for 1.5 hours (you can be there present physically of course)

You can also listen to the Deville speakers if interested and have some boring conversation with me, listening to Miley Cyrus together.
Lol… I would bring my May over and listen to Miley with you but I’m about as far away from Queens as you can get and still be in the US 😆 Devilles are top of my list to hear

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #985 of 1,317
IMG_1490.jpeg

Finally my stacks arrived.

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #987 of 1,317
Congrats, let us know your thoughts on them. I have the May but am waiting on the Serene.
I don't want to sound like jump on the gun. A little of my background if you notice on my sig. I bought the may used, bliss new. Using RPI4 + Gentooplayer.

I have been with Dave for 7 years, +mscaler 3 years back. now I change to Holo Stack, in summaries : Don't like the bulk, don't like the heat, but the sound - Heaven. now I can experience it firsthand what the people are saying. Realisim in 3 dimension, true stage, separation, live like audio. I just listen using HE1000 for now. have not fire up the amp and speakers.

I am also considering the Serene but base on review the Bliss shouldn't too far off and I need a good HP amp as well thus the bliss.

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #988 of 1,317
I don't want to sound like jump on the gun. A little of my background if you notice on my sig. I bought the may used, bliss new. Using RPI4 + Gentooplayer.

I have been with Dave for 7 years, +mscaler 3 years back. now I change to Holo Stack, in summaries : Don't like the bulk, don't like the heat, but the sound - Heaven. now I can experience it firsthand what the people are saying. Realisim in 3 dimension, true stage, separation, live like audio. I just listen using HE1000 for now. have not fire up the amp and speakers.

I am also considering the Serene but base on review the Bliss shouldn't too far off and I need a good HP amp as well thus the bliss.
Thanks for your impressions. Im on week 2 of having the May and it still amazes me. It does get warm. I have mine close to other hot equipment such as a large amp and a large receiver in a tv rack so I use a small computer fan on a very low speed for moving some air slowly to keep things cool. My 4k bluray player also generates a lot of heat.

Im using a stepped volume attenuator for my preamp with 2 xlr inputs. I only need the Serene for remote volume control and switching between the the May and receiver.

The only place I use audiophile headphones is while Im in bed so I use a A&K SP2000 dap and a pair of Audeze LCD 2 headphones. I bought the headphones many years ago new about 7-8 years ago and havent had a need to upgrade but some day I would love to pick up another Audeze. I may try the headphone amp on the Serene but my living room isnt where I typically use headphones. I will have to buy an adapter for it. They say the output on the Serene for headphones is also very good so I would like to try it. Im sure the Bliss is better being a dedicated headphone amp but I havent looked at any reviews comparing them.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #990 of 1,317
Have anyone tried connecting the May to 2 amps using the XLR outputs?
Can it be done with a Y splitter like this?

1690318760455.png

I am not looking to use the amps in parallel, but want to avoid unplugging and replugging every time...
Also, trying to avoid an expensive selector box, such as: https://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html

You can try a cheap Chinese selector from Little Bear/Douk Audio. Build quality is as good as Goldpt & only costs about $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back