Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jun 29, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #271 of 1,271
Posted this in the spring topic I’ll post it here also.

Just hooked up holo May and played Alice In Chains unplugged in New York

absolutely amazing

all I got to say to people is clean up your sources. If you are sending music to your expensive dac through a laptop or a Mac mini you are just wasting money. I sent my music through a laptop for years and now got a server with battery supply and opticalrendu. Optical rendu might be the secret sauce

my god all my headphones became godly once I cleaned up my sources

we are talking about insane leaps in sound quality

I tried out the optical rendu with the spring 1 KTE and loved it. Now the holo May has blown it away. Taking the SU1 out of the chain and just straight USB from Rendu.
Definitely, it’s what your dac is fed has huge benefits at achieving sound quality including addressing noise which is paramount of importance of course

Macs and lap tops are a total waist if you are wanting overall better sound quality . The server I use the USB section is directly clocked from a dedicated clock board both boards are independently powered using out board power supplies a proprietary design through and through , the May KTE dac is the cheery on top ,….

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #272 of 1,271
Posted this in the spring topic I’ll post it here also.

Just hooked up holo May and played Alice In Chains unplugged in New York

absolutely amazing

all I got to say to people is clean up your sources. If you are sending music to your expensive dac through a laptop or a Mac mini you are just wasting money. I sent my music through a laptop for years and now got a server with battery supply and opticalrendu. Optical rendu might be the secret sauce

my god all my headphones became godly once I cleaned up my sources

we are talking about insane leaps in sound quality

I tried out the optical rendu with the spring 1 KTE and loved it. Now the holo May has blown it away. Taking the SU1 out of the chain and just straight USB from Rendu.
Love that album mate, it's so well recorded. I always use it to test new gear because of the great mixing and detail. Especially "no excuses" is one of my favourite test tracks. Plus, I adore AIC since I was a teenager.

Actually I had not tried it yet with my May Lev2 which arrived just a couple of day ago and boy.... I'm literally blown away!

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #273 of 1,271
This May KTE arrived Christmas evening, and now has been burning-in round the clock for 11 days on my desk. What a trip...

IMG_20210105_235654.jpg

What an incredible dopamine monster this is. Absolutely perfect in every single aspect of SQ, truly beautiful and almost magically good in conveying the emotion of music.

The one thing I did not appreciate (don't worry, this story has an happy ending) was the burn-in process: First 4 days were bliss and pure excitement for what is to come, then 5 days of hell. Thing is, after day 4 I wished for more energy in the treble. I got what I wished for :dt880smile:.

That day, within hours this KTE became physically extremely hot, and so became its sound, mostly harsh, 2d, flat and boring, and seriously tiring. What the screw. Ok, this is the burn-in process... But after 5 days it still was cold, harsh and tiring. I was genuinely afraid I had blown a Cap :sweat_smile:. Even went back to the dealer (so lucky to have Magna only 45 min drive away) and compared my KTE to their Demo May Level II. The 'out-of-control' sound had already diminished a bit, unplugging the May for a couple of hours seemingly made a difference already. Even though my KTE was still sounding little hot and unbalanced, I clearly prefered my KTE to the demo May L2.

Conclusion, I needed to be patient. Back home, within 24 hours my KTE found its balance and magic again. I'm so happy and grateful to experience IMHO this work of Art that the Holo Audio May KTE is. I look forward to the remaining 200 hours of burn in (500 is recommended?!).

The May 'burn in' process is a different beast, never experienced such extreme changes in sound signature.

Is my experience with the May KTE burn in process common or was it an exception?
I've experienced what Flextreme experienced in this post... Did you eventually find nirvana? After 4 days or so playing a variety of music 24/7, I heard a regression in SQ. I turned it off for a night, SQ improved and the burn-in continued. It's going to be a long long 500-1000 hours, but well worth it.

Heat is a problem, or so it seems. I have the DAC portion elevated above the power supply, to get air underneath. I still want to put a fan on it as Palyodgree has done, very wise I think...

So May owners, is there a consensus about burn-in? Are you pushing through it, or do you take breaks? Are you playing music, or do you use any of the burn-in frequency sweep audio files (sorry for the pun, but I'm just wired that way) out there? Are you finding equilibrium at 500 hours, 1000 hours?

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #274 of 1,271
from my experience, you might get changes in high frequencies and in imaging from time to time...but it will not become "bad" sounding, it will stay within a range, where you are ask yourself: is this due to "burn in"? I used the MAY in normal cycles, on/off, and those changes are gone after 6 Weeks...

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #275 of 1,271
from my experience, you might get changes in high frequencies and in imaging from time to time...but it will not become "bad" sounding, it will stay within a range, where you are ask yourself: is this due to "burn in"? I used the MAY in normal cycles, on/off, and those changes are gone after 6 Weeks...
Thanks. What I heard wasn't as harsh as the OP heard, but I think it was also heat related. I've heard others report regressions in sound, so the simple fix is to just give it periods of rest. No need to push the burn-in, just enjoy the ride... :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #276 of 1,271
I’ve had the May for around a week and so far it’s been amazing. Huge huge step up from my last dac. It’s just so clinical and enjoyable. Full sound stages and it’s really letting headphones shine.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #277 of 1,271
I’ve had the May for around a week and so far it’s been amazing. Huge huge step up from my last dac. It’s just so clinical and enjoyable. Full sound stages and it’s really letting headphones shine.
Have you listened to Money since you are a Floyd fan, as recommended by the reviewer "New Record Day"? The 1981 version is awesome as well... Amazing!

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #278 of 1,271
Have you listened to Money since you are a Floyd fan, as recommended by the reviewer "New Record Day"? The 1981 version is awesome as well... Amazing!
yeah I have.

Dark Side, Animals, Wish you were here, meddle

its all amazing music

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #282 of 1,271
I’m getting transformer hum

I was told I likely had DC off set in my electricity
so I’m gonna get emotiva DC Offset Eliminator to fix my issue for now with my audio

do these things really work?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #283 of 1,271
I’m getting transformer hum

I was told I likely had DC off set in my electricity
so I’m gonna get emotiva DC Offset Eliminator to fix my issue for now with my audio

do these things really work?
Maybe. If that is actually the issue, yes. See my saga of irritation in a similar vein here.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #284 of 1,271
Maybe. If that is actually the issue, yes. See my saga of irritation in a similar vein here.
Well I’m not getting major issues with music sound. This is the first time I’ve had a piece o equipment make a humming noise.

I do think it was an electric load issue.

I’m fairly certain I fixed the issue but I’m definitely gonna try to use the emotiva for safety reasons. Ill need an electrician to come and just look at my setup to see if everything is good in my house.

Probably just loaded up the electric grid one one side way too much.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #285 of 1,271
I've experienced what Flextreme experienced in this post... Did you eventually find nirvana? After 4 days or so playing a variety of music 24/7, I heard a regression in SQ. I turned it off for a night, SQ improved and the burn-in continued. It's going to be a long long 500-1000 hours, but well worth it.

Heat is a problem, or so it seems. I have the DAC portion elevated above the power supply, to get air underneath. I still want to put a fan on it as Palyodgree has done, very wise I think...

So May owners, is there a consensus about burn-in? Are you pushing through it, or do you take breaks? Are you playing music, or do you use any of the burn-in frequency sweep audio files (sorry for the pun, but I'm just wired that way) out there? Are you finding equilibrium at 500 hours, 1000 hours?
Update. I've been running May powered on 24/7 but not playing music 24/7, and the temps are warm but not hot like before... I found using a fan affected the operating temperature, didn't sound right. It's been suggested that if heat becomes an issue, to put the DAC unit directly on the power supply, so it can act as a heat sink. So far so good, and May is opening up in detail, soundstage and bass is tightening. Absolutely love it, breathtaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back